Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Best lighting solution for about £100? (Is it Tesco Torch time already?)
  • Jamie
    Free Member

Morning,

I have accepted that i just cannot afford to drop anything more than a £100ish on some lights this year, so unfortunately that means Trouts offerings are out 😥 . Can anyone recommend the best bang for the buck LED lights out there at the mo? Assume i will be dealing with deal xtreme and some sort of torch setup for this price?

For the record i have no charger etc so it would have to be a whole kit.

saladdodger
    Free Member

DX.

Jamie
    Free Member

Now is that a torch or a bike specific light? Details please.

mieszko
    Free Member

He probably means this.

monkeychild
    Free Member

DX bike light for £50

saladdodger
    Free Member

I have both the torch and bike light either does the job well

What you want is bang for your buck and both give you that for me to buy again it would be the bike light every time.

Jamie
    Free Member

So just to clarify Saladdoger, it is the one mieszko links to?

saladdodger
    Free Member

yes it is , and my mates are so impressed they are getting the bike lights to

DickBarton

yes

Hip
    Free Member

I also have the DX bike light mieszko links to and can confirm for the money, it's really good. You'll probably need one of these too, I forgot and had to bodge a UK plugged mains cable to the charger with insulated female spade connectors and insulating tape…

saladdodger
    Free Member

Hip is right about the adaptor btw

0091paddy
    Free Member

Bargain! Does any one have any beam shots or pics of it mounted?

Cheers.

grumm
    Free Member

Just ordered one of those DX bike lights. Can't see the need to spend more really.

fozzybear
    Free Member

any way of splicing two batteries together ?

nickc

Mate had one on the night ride last week, seemed pretty good value for the money. No idea about longevity though

grumm
    Free Member

There's some info and beam shots here

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=521241
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=526474

From other threads on here it seems there are a few issues that may have been resolved on newer ones, but you could probably fix them yourself anyway.

Jamie
    Free Member

Thanks for the tips all, will have a lookie at the DX.

richc
    Free Member

This is what I ordered, but I suspect it might be a bit bright. Will give you change from your £100 as well.

06105 Digital Li-Ion 18650 Battery Charger x 1 $7.92
    12000 Universal Nylon Mount for Flashlights and Lasers x 2 $2.21
    19189 TrustFire P7-F15 SSC P7-WC 3-Mode 900-Lumen LED Flashlight x 1 $36.50
    20392 TrustFire Protected 18650 3.7V True 2400mAh Rechargeable Lithium Batteries (2-Pack) x 1 $9.99
    25149 HA-III SSC P7-C (SXO) 3-Mode 900-Lumen LED Bike Light Set x 1 $79.81

Hasn't turned up yet so I cannot tell how good it will be.

Jamie
    Free Member

Do i assume the flashlight/batteries etc is for helmet mounting?

Lummox

Dx has been awesome, i team it up with an Exposure joystick (helmet mount) giving more than i need and not heavy or bulky either. Superb lights that fulfill my commuting and off road duties.

Get Dx first, if you can't spring for an Exposure the Dx torch as a helmet light would be a suitable alternative. Maybe with a two fish lock block to helmet mount it.

Al

grumm
    Free Member

Personally I think something smaller/lighter and more focussed beam would be better for a helmet light. I use a fenix L2d Q5 and wouldn't like to use anything heavier really.

tinsy
    Free Member

jamie… I got the dx torch, its fine on the lid mounted with cable ties to keep it nice and low out of the way or lock block thing on the bars, if I was buying now it would be 2 DX bike lights though, and extend a cable so the battery pack goes in a backpack, though the torch is OK on the lid, if you just had a head unit it would be considerably lighter.

I get around my local loop OK with just the torch, if your really on a budget maybe 1 is enough.

richc
    Free Member

Yep the torch is for the helmet. I am going to try the lockblock, but if that doesn't work I am going to use some velcro tape.

At the moment I use one of these:
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.14909

and it is exactly the right size to fit in the central vent of my Giro Hex, and can be held in place with an elastic band (in a loop, so one end over the front of the torch, then stretched over the top of the helmet, and then the other end goes over the back of the torch)

However as its now older technology I thought I would try the 900-lumen version. However I am now thinking that, that torch might be too bright.

Hairychested
    Free Member

You could have two sets of my Dinotte lights, look like those: http://gallery.mtbr.com/data/mtbr/516/234259DiNotte.jpg
    I'd be wanting £90 for both posted or £50 for one.

montylikesbeer

The DX is very very good for the wedge.

I used mine last Friday night and although "floody" is superb.

Jamie
    Free Member

Hmm, looking at the DX website, i reckon i could get one for the bars and the cable looks long enough to mount one on the side of the helmet and have the battery pack in the top mp3 pocket on my dakine.

Anyone know exactly how much flex there is?

richc
    Free Member

Not sure if it would be too floody, my setup which is a AirBike SL1 and a torch works well as the SL1 floods the area and the spot from the torch shows you more detail on what you are looking at. As the SL1 has a very white light which sorta flattens the roots/rocks out.

Jamie
    Free Member

Ahh, didn't think about the floodyness. Might just use my Tesco 1W LED torch for a bit with the DX and see how things go.

montylikesbeer

The lamp unit cable connected to the battery short cable is 670 mm long in total

Dancake
    Free Member

I forgot and had to bodge a UK plugged mains cable to the charger with insulated female spade connectors and insulating tape…

lol or you can get an adaptor from b and q for about 2 quid!

(called a "traveller to uk adaptor" )

montylikesbeer

or one from "The Asda" for 74 p

Jamie
    Free Member

Anyone know what delivery times are with DealXtreme?

grumm
    Free Member

7-10 days or so I think.

CountZero

The DX is very good indeed, used it last week for the first time for proper night riding rather than riding in the dusk, and I was really impressed. One of the guys I was with had an oldish Exposure, which was totally outclassed. My Helmet light is a DX Aurora P7 SSC, with a foam bar grip pushed on, and two Velcro straps made from self adhesive Velcro stuck back to back, hook to loop, so you wrap about a turn and a half around the torch, then push the strap through your lid vent on one side under the torch, out the other side then over the top of the torch. Works really well, the foam stops the torch rattling and helps the Velcro grip.

cullen-bay
    Free Member

the new £60 fenwick torch for a head light…. 240 lumens, 1 AA battery powered

joemarshall
    Free Member

he new £60 fenwick torch for a head light…. 240 lumens, 1 AA battery powered

Surely it'll only have a half hour run time though?

Do you mean Fenix?

Anyway, £60 for a torch sounds a bit much, given the £10 2xAA torches work fine if you want a less bright thing to stick on your helmet.

Joe

Northwind

I think the DX 2-mode P7 torches give slightly better light than the bike light does, having compared them the other night… But the bike light wins on convenience obviously. Both very good options, tbh I think it's a bit daft to spend any more just now unless you're made of money- I ride regularily with a guy who uses a Seca 900 and it's a bit better than one P7, and almost as good as 2- but then it cost £500!

There'll be something better along in a jiffy no doubt but for now they're the obvious choice.

JimmyB
    Free Member

Might go for the DX & torch option myself.

Any ideas which is the best mount to get for the torch?

Also seems to be loads of choice on batteries, is largest cell capacity best as long as they're 'protected'?

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

There's loads of options on cheap LED torches to use as a helmet light to complement the DX bar light. For £20ish I got one of these, comes with smart/rapid charger, UK adaptor and 2 pairs of CR123 batteries. Run time about 1hr (per pair of batteries).

Couple of velcro straps mounts it well to middle vents on Giro Havoc.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Flashlight-CREE-Q5-LED-UV-Torch-4×3-7V-CHARGER-Holster_W0QQitemZ270455279373QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_SportsLeisure_Camping_LightsLanternsTorches?hash=item3ef8640f0d&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14

not quite sure about the UV option, but couldnt find it without em.

sv

Got one of those q5 s as a helmet mount to go with the P7 torch on the bars. The q5 works very well 2xAA good long spot approx £10 too!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Best lighting solution for about £100? (Is it Tesco Torch time already?)’ is closed to new replies.