• This topic has 37 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by julzm.
Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • best house insurance that covers bike….
  • xcretro
    Free Member

need to sort some home insurance with bike cover to cover the bike in home and away from home to the value of £3000 – £4000 to replace the bike if it was stolen from home or away from home. also any cover to cover for accidantal damage etc general riding and also xc racing?

have looked at a lot of the bike specific insurers and its rather a lot!!

any suggestions?

cheers

weeksy

AA for me.

egb81
    Free Member

AA for me to, buildings and contents. Nearly half the price of the quote from Nationwide and with much better coverage.

xcretro
    Free Member

cheers, looking at AA now and it does seem to be cheap.

peteimpreza

What do you mean by at “home”?

Most standard policies will exclude outbuildings. This exclusion apllies to garages even if they are integral to your house.

Make sure you ask some very specific questions on this matter to ensure you are covered as you expect.

lunge

Direct Line for me, their premium cover (plus or some other equally crap name). Covers bikes in the garage up to £3k and expensive items in the house as well.

fathomer

I’m still with Marks & Spencers with the bikes values added as they where still the cheapest for me.

deviant
    Free Member

I’m with Nationwide, they cover up to £1000 for bikes unless you specify upwards of that, obviously you then pay slightly more for the increased value of the bikes.
    They were very helpful and fast getting a cheque to me when my bike was stolen from my car, they cover away from the house too obviously.

In contrast my car insurance was rubbish, phoned them to enquire if i was covered, they said ‘yes’ and to the tune of £100…quite what you’re supposed to buy with one hundred quid is beyond me….anyway i decided not to claim and just had the rear window sorted out…they were decent about that and i didnt lose my NCD either.

egb81
    Free Member

I’m with Nationwide, they cover up to £1000 for bikes unless you specify upwards of that, obviously you then pay slightly more for the increased value of the bikes.

I was with Nationwide until July as they changed their bike policy to ‘up to £1000’ but won’t cover any over £2000. A truly shambolic deal given they wanted to raise my premium to close to £600. AA was less the £300pa with all bikes covered home and away from home if locked.

weeksy

AA included outside at home if secured correctly

plus-one

Double check the AA policy I left them as they changed the new for old bit..

I was informed if a bike got stolen I would get current market value(judged by someone independant apparently) rather than cost new 🙁

Now with Swinton for home/contents and all my bikes covered full whack in and away from home(sure it’s axa for bike side of it)

P20

John Lewis here. Used to be with M&S but they wouldn’t cover new house

david47
    Free Member

Direct Line for me, their premium cover (plus or some other equally crap name). Covers bikes in the garage up to £3k and expensive items in the house as well.

Really ? I phoned them up and they told me they only cover bikes to £1,000 and I have the premium cover… Was about to move to John Lewis…
    Will phone them again…

deviant
    Free Member

egb81 – Member

I was with Nationwide until July as they changed their bike policy to ‘up to £1000’ but won’t cover any over £2000. A truly shambolic deal given they wanted to raise my premium to close to £600.

Cheers, i’ll check my policy….it was a year ago i claimed for my stolen bike.

tomcrow99

Yep Direct line here too, you can add specific bikes onto the premium policy up to 3k.
    However… I just had a claim paid and the they gave me quite a bit more for 2 of the bikes than the 1k limit. I had named my Pitch at 1.5k which cost extra, but then they gave me 1.4k for one hard tail and 1.2k for the other when I was expecting a grand each. Both were custom builds so were hard to value. The bikes were taken from a garage that was separate from the house, so I’m not sure if the values are different. Honestly I was a bit baffled but wasn’t going to press them on the matter! Overall very happy with the service, had the money within 8 days of the claim going in, and they’ve paid for a new door. Highly recommended!

david47
    Free Member

Ok, phoned direct line again… they will cover specified bikes to £5,000. However they are nore expesive that the cover offered by john lewis… THe difference is down to Travel cover (with winter sports) being included in direct lines quote… now off to see what I can get that for, as DL is now much more expensive…

g5604
    Free Member

More than covers bikes home and away (inc 60 days abroad), there is a £1500 limit per bike, but I think you can call them if your bike exceed it. Policy is new for old.

cruzcampo
    Free Member

Sainsburys 5 quid extra a month for 4500£ bike cover. Cover shed/ outbuilding too!

njee20
    Free Member

AA seemed to have a £3k limit on outbuildings cover, irrespective of specified bike cover?

Just had my M&S renewal through at £260, got quotes from John Lewis and Direct Line Select who were £259 and £262 weirdly, so will probably just renew with M&S for simplicity!

hora
    Free Member

Admiral here- £150 a year (home and contents) if good? but then I’m insured for bikes IN the house not in the shed or garage.

Whoever leaves their expensive bikes outside of the house in a shed needs their head examining.

njee20
    Free Member

So you always troll these threads with. However a lot of people have no other option, or are just disinclined to deal with the impracticalities of having lots of bikes kicking about the house.

My insurance is £110 more than yours and my bikes are covered wherever the hell I want to leave them. Sounds like you’re over paying.

andermt
    Free Member

Admiral.

Was with the AA for 3 years until they refused to up our contents insurance as it was mostly down to 2 new bikes I’d bought (£5k increase). They proceeded to say I could have the same as the previous year, would delete accidental damage cover, but reminded me that my insurance would be nullified if I claimed and was found to be under insured. But they still wanted me to take out the policy!!

hora
    Free Member

So you always troll these threads with. However a lot of people have no other option, or are just disinclined to deal with the impracticalities of having lots of bikes kicking about the house.

My insurance is £110 more than yours and my bikes are covered wherever the hell I want to leave them. Sounds like you’re over paying.

In no way, ever would I like to even put £10 into the pocket of a Scally who hasn’t earned it but took something that was mine. That is more important than a bicycle or other item.

Recently my lads balance bike went missing off the drive. I was apocalyptic and went straight round to the one house on our road that I knew it’d be at. It was there. Hidden inside.

We all know leaving a high end bike in a shed or garage is prime territory for a thief. I’d love to leave a bike in one of my sheds etc. It’d be a perfect set up. I can’t though and wont.

One day bike insurance will be very expensive and beyond alot of us due to the number of high-value claims I bet.

njee20
    Free Member

Recently my lads balance bike went missing off the drive. I was apocalyptic and went straight round to the one house on our road that I knew it’d be at. It was there. Hidden inside.

Do you perhaps mean “apoplectic”?

I don’t think people are advocating being as retarded as storing bikes on their front drive. Plenty of people will have 5+ bikes, and there are obvious issues around storing those inside. For these times buildings designed to house such items can be useful. Yes, there is an increased risk, hence having insurance. If there was no risk, we’d not buy insurance.

FOG

On a slightly different tack how have people gone on claiming for custom builds? I have just finished a bike and have tried to keep as many receipts as poss but my HT was built a few years ago and I doubt whether I have got any proof of how much stuff cost apart from the frame.

dekadanse
    Free Member

Coop or MoreThan.

hora
    Free Member

retarded

Hi. My son left his bike accidently on the drive. We only realised that it was missing in the morning.

I imagine you’ll insert one of those five bikes up your behind on my behalf. Or I can for you. Your choice, I’m easy.

chakaping
    Free Member

Who’s had to claim from AA? How did that work out?

After having to use M&S for a big claim, they’ve earned my loyalty for a while by being superb (unlike Wheelies unfortunately).

chrishc777
    Free Member

I’m with the AA, was about a quarter of the price of anywhere else and they gave me free breakdown cover. All bikes up to a grand covered plus my full susser insured for what it’d cost new. I remember doing some research and opinions and clauses eeming all good but I think I’ll double check it all now

njee20
    Free Member

I imagine you’ll insert one of those five bikes up your behind on my behalf. Or I can for you. Your choice, I’m easy.

Oh princess calm down, you troll all of these threads, can’t be too surprised it gets a rise. I don’t have 5 bikes, but if I did, at least they’d be insured you stuffed one up my behind, unlike yours.

I remember doing some research and opinions and clauses eeming all good but I think I’ll double check it all now

The big one is the outbuilding cover – still seemed to be a £3k limit when I looked at the weekend. Seems to over ride any other covers you put in place. IIRC they’re not new for old either.

NFU used to come up in these threads, dunno if they’re any good still.

schmiken

LV are excellent.

njee20
    Free Member

LV are excellent.

Only cover up to £2k per bike though?

coogan
    Free Member

Just did mine with NFU Mutual. Two bikes, no value limit as far as I know, did both of mine. If brand new valued at full value for two years and then the wear and tear part comes into account. Top price, great to deal with and other benefits which I can’t remember. To do with the excess etc.

P20

To expand on our John Lewis policy. Accidental, away from home, new for old. 9 listed bikes. That last one was a sticking point for some who could only list 5

cruzcampo
    Free Member

hora – Member
    Admiral here- £150 a year (home and contents) if good? but then I’m insured for bikes IN the house not in the shed or garage.

Whoever leaves their expensive bikes outside of the house in a shed needs their head examining

I still think in many cases a bike in a house is an easier picking than one in a shed with a ludicrous amount of locks on, with ground anchor, and dialler alarm. Without looking a right mess its hard to secure bikes in the house. Majority can be wheeled out once access gained.

hora
    Free Member

The problem with a house is you are entering through one point – which may mean you have only one point to leave from. No one lives inside the shed.

njee20 – I love you 🙂

Anyway, I’m consistently a lone voice on this so I’ll shut the **** up now for the harmony of the forum. 🙂

sgn23
    Free Member

I just bought an AA plus policy. After spending way more time than I wanted to reading T&Cs, here’s a few things I learnt about this policy:
    [list]
    [*]Cover is for £7500 in your sheds/outbuildings, but only £1000 if away from home in someone else’s shed/outbuildings[/*]
    [*]Don’t leave the bike out unattended within your garden etc as you’re only covered for £1000 in the open within your property boundary[/*]
    [*]Max £2K cover in a vehicle and only if it’s covered[/*]
    [*]Covered up to £5K away from home if unattended and locked to something[/*]
    [/list]

julzm
    Free Member

We have cover with Hastings who seem to be excellent (although not had to claim). You have a set amount which you specify upfront for high value items, each HV ITEM then has to be detailed and specified. I had to swap out two bikes recently as we were going on holiday and hadn’t insured a recently acquired bike we were taking with us. I think the limit is £5k per bike, as accepted our carbon FS’s at £4950 each, they are both custom builds. For the FS I was taking off the guy confirmed that it was still covered under non insured items as it was still within their overall limit for non specified high value items (it’s worth £3850). The guy could not have been more helpful and the actual insurance did not cost the earth in the first place. As I said though, not had to claim (touch wood) so can’t vouch for that.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘best house insurance that covers bike….’ is closed to new replies.