Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Best GPS device for geocaching and strava use?
  • samcamsdad

Just been looking at GPS units, as the kids have got in to geocaching, I didn’t realise there was so much choice!
    So I’m after something for the geocatching, and also something I could use for logging my rides on strava.
    Any ideas anybody?

nickjb
    Free Member

Just use your phone if it has gps. Makes accessing online content much easier

samcamsdad

The problem with the phone, is getting signal around where we live. It’s ok for strava but, but crap for geocatching.

nickjb
    Free Member

GPS signal? You don’t need a phone signal. Just cache the maps when you have signal or use WiFi before you go out.

samcamsdad

We tried that yesterday but, the accuracy wasn’t that good good. Just after something better suited to the job.

andytherocketeer

Garmin eTrex for the caching (whichever is the model with an electonic compass).
    phone/eTrex for the Strava/Endomondo/MapMyRide etc. (phone is easier for short rides – garmin etc. will be a bit of manual effort)

samcamsdad

Thanks andy, ill start looking at the etrex.

boxelder

Etrex are good for caching, but you’ll still need to download them at home via cable and internet.
    I’ve just got a moto G phone and it will download them wirelessly. Etrex more accurate though – just plug it into you PC and download loads to memory (sd card best). If you get an etrex, go for the basic maps version and download the free maps from talkytoaster.
    Etrex no good for strava though – phone or garmin 200

rhid

I recently got a Cyclo Mio 100 of crc for under £54 (topcashback and discount codes made it about £48). Its pretty good for Strava and can do lots of other things too which I have not really explored! I like it. Pluis the battery last a lot longer than my phone’s.

GolfChick
    Free Member

yeah the phone will do for geocaching if you’ve got good ‘caching eyes’ and have the ability to view the satellite version of the maps depending where you are but if they’re heavily into it then you’ll defo wanna invest in something better. If primary use is geocaching then definitely the xtrex range are good, plenty for sale on ebay second hand and you can load it up with talkytoaster maps that a lot of people rate.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Best GPS device for geocaching and strava use?’ is closed to new replies.