Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Which 1×10 chainring for Llandegla?
  • Superficial
    Free Member

So I’m thinking of heading up to Llandegla this weekend with my mates but was wondering what you guys would recommend for a chainring size for llandegla. I’m running 1×10 11-36 and have a 30t, 32t and 36t to choose from. I’ve never ridden there which one would you recommend?

weeksy

36T fine apart from one small 100m steep part about half way which may be hard, but it’s not too long…

Saying that, it’s not like you need the extra top end power from the 36 so could easily run a 32t

kimbers

ive done it all on a 30t with 11-36 including the steep climb and i dont think i felt underpowered on any of the descents, 30 or 32 would be my choice

wwaswas

Surely it has to be a 34 for Llandegla?

You’ll die if you use anything else…

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Words fail me sometimes…

binners

Just a thought 😉

rebel12
    Free Member

Please be aware that Llandegla have recently banned anything other than a 32. There is an inspector at the start of the trail who will count – if it’s more or less then you’ll be sent back to your car and be forced to drink an overpriced coffee whilst your mates go and ride.

DrP

I’m just having a meeting about this very subject in our CCG..
    I’ll update you when it’s done in an hour or two.

DrP

binners

Thats if they’ll let him in the car park.

Is this chainring on a carbon Santa Cruz, on the roof bars of an Audi?

If not, then you may have to go and ride somewhere else. If If it is, have fun being all gnaaaarrrrrr riding round the car park and looking moody outside the cafe

bigyinn
    Free Member

Why do some riders think there is some mythical optimum kit for trail centres and riding in general?
    USe you brains, think what works for you, try a few things. Start with an average setup and work from there. If it works for you great, it does for most riders!
    Perhaps we need to start listing optimum gear ratios for particular climbs.
    FFS!

DrP

Come on now Bigyinn, you know..

DrP

dunmail
    Free Member

Try middle one. If it’s too easy fit big one, if it’s too hard fit small one. sorted!

dirtydog
    Free Member

+1 wwaswas defo a 34t.

What about tyres, hope you’ve got them sorted?

wwaswas

Having said that, if it’s very wet I might take the safer option of a 33 as it gives you that little bit more climbing ability in the mud but normally a 34’s fine.

[edit] and definitely take tyres, yes.

dunmail
    Free Member

What about tyres?

Round ones. But you’ll need a squishy bit at the bottom to avoid infringing Dave Brailsford’s copyright 🙂

frogstomp

Would a 34t with one broken tooth suffice?

dirtydog
    Free Member

+1 on the 33t as well.

Usually carry a 33t with me, you never know when you might need it, weather can be a bit unpredictable.

gazc
    Free Member

this is the future, after all the 1xbollocks hype has died down everyone will use one! 😆

LINK

binners

Hang on a minute? We haven’t established what size wheels he’s running here.

Well……?

cloudnine
    Free Member

What size wheels and tyres are you using?
    What factor sun cream will you use?
    How many high five tabs in your hydration pack?
    And socks.. it could be a warm day but a bit chilly first thing.. irts either the cotton merino blend short ones or the mid length bamboo ones?

traildog
    Free Member

The gearing will be different depending on wheel size, so that’s important. Do you also know your average power output over the hour as a ratio of your weight? We should then be able to work out the optimum chainring to use, although if there is a headwind on the hill you may have to gear it down.

robj20
    Free Member

What’s on your bike right now? Use that.
    Some people really make me wonder sometimes, i mean what next which grips for a certain trail. Are people really that bothered about fitting in with other, just ride what works for you. I use a 30t on a 1×11 because i hate hills and dont care how long it takes to get up them.

Also if you dont know what ring you need, why are you even using a 1x setup surely a 2 or 3 would be better.

BigDummy
    Free Member

I am glad to see that this question has provoked near-universal derision. This gives me hope.

🙂

monkeychild
    Free Member

which grips for a certain trail.

Well……… Which ones do you need for Llandegla??

gazc
    Free Member

grippy ones

robj20
    Free Member

Well……… Which ones do you need for Llandegla??

I go bare-bar its the only way to really feel the trail.

AlexSimon

33t Narrow/Wide

portlyone

A good way to catch a SRD! Single Ring Disease 😯

woody2000

I was there last Friday so you can benefit from my experience OP, here was my ring choice for the day. I’m 1 x 9, so you might need to experiment a bit to get it just right but at least it’ll give you something to work with. Oh, 26″ wheels too

DrP

33t Narrow/Wide

I’ve only got a 33t wide/narrow… bolx

DrP

traildog
    Free Member

I run ultra thin grips as it’s been found to reduce arm pump and I also like to feel the trail. I’ve never considered bare-bar. Do you sandpaper your bars for grip? Must try this.

I always wondered why people love lock-on bars so much. Now I know, it’s because they get changed depending on the trail center.

wwaswas

I’ve only got a 33t wide/narrow… bolx

pedal backwards, you’ll be fine.

kimbers

nickdavies

I keep skinning my knuckles changing chain rings mid ride.
    Can anyone send me a link to a chainring QR system?

Personally I feel you need a light HT for the way up at Llandegla and then at least 8″ of travel for the gnarly descent, so it’s a lot easier if you have 2 bikes and a tame sherpa to carry the other one up for you?

mindmap3
    Free Member

Wow…

I really hope the OP is taking the pee.

monkeychild
    Free Member

What angle should I run my brake levers at??

weeksy

22.4deg from horizontal.

wonderchump
    Free Member

Weeksy – You’re just plain wrong!

If you have your brakes at 23.4° from the horizontal then they are aligned with the average axial tilt of the Earth. This has a cosmic karma effect on your riding which will be well respected by the local Druid population indigenous to Llandegla.

Oh and +1 for 34t but that’s relative to musculature efficiency <– Another tangent for this thread ?

bigyinn
    Free Member

If only there was some sort of system which would allow different chainrings to be be used depending on the requirements of the terain….

That would be cool. So if your legs were tired you could use a lower gear to grind up a hill and if you were on a DH run you could have a choice of higher gears, imagine that…..

thestabiliser
    Free Member

33 1/3 or 45 or 72, or a BASF CR90.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Which 1×10 chainring for Llandegla?’ is closed to new replies.