Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Best GPS app for iphone?
  • tkm16
    Free Member

Hi all,

Just got myself an iphone and im after an app which will display where I am on a 1:25k OS map? Iv been looking at routebuddy but the maps are £17 per area or £50 for the national park. Any good free ones out there?

Thanks

WackoAK
    Free Member

I use motionx – it uses google maps. Not aware of any cheaper ones that use OS though though.

GrahamS

There is a free one cunningly called iOSMaps that will show your position on an OS map.
    But it does do anything useful like route tracking or anything.

MotionX does use data from OpenCycleMap but it's not great.

GrahamS

(Edit: I'm missing an "n't" in there, but you probably know what I mean)

tkm16
    Free Member

Ah cool, im not that fussed about route planning, I just need it to refrence against a map when im out in the lakes (as my map reading skills arnt too great). Is there the whole uk on isomaps? Also are they 1:25k maps?

Zukemonster
    Free Member

check, but I think you need wifi to use isomaps properly, so its not much use out and about.

GrahamS

iOSMaps works fine on a 3g connection for me. (just checked)

JxL
    Free Member

OSMaps and motionx for me!

BadlyWiredDog

There's a free app that simply tells you your OS Grid Reference. Genius, just transfer it onto a map. RouteBuddy is pretty limited at the moment anyway and eats power. Not a patch on ViewRanger running on a smartphone.

Their 1:50,000 mapping is cheaper btw, still not cheap at a tenner a sheet, but cheaper. Why do you need 1:25,000 maps anyway?

fubar
    Free Member

There's a free app that simply tells you your OS Grid Reference

I use Gridpoint GB

GrahamS

iOSMaps tells you your grid ref, as well as displaying it on an OS map.

tkm16
    Free Member

Ib been looking at motionx and iv noticed you can import gpx for outlining trails ect, just wondering if it would be compatible with memory map if you convert the file to gpx format? If not which program could I use to import the trail?

Thanks!

CountZero

There's a neat little app called GPS2OS, which gives grid ref, lat/long, altitude, etc, but you can also switch to a grid as per the OS maps, with a little dot to show your position relative to the grid, and you can also select a satallite view with grid superimposed. It's 1:50000, but until ViewRanger get their iPhone app up and running, it'll do. ViewRanger have new funding and developement people on board to expand onto other mobile platforms. This is in their news info on their site, and they were advertising for someone to develop the iPhone app a while back, apparently.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Best GPS app for iphone?’ is closed to new replies.