• This topic has 12 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by tthew.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Best glue for repairing a glass lamp shade?
  • Harry_the_Spider

We’ve got a broken lamp shade (I didn’t do it, I was out of the house etc…) that has been repeatedly stuck back together with super glue. This usually holds for a year or so then it falls apart again. I’m after a more permanent fix.

So, glass gluers of STW, what should I be using? I was thinking of an Araldite type two pack epoxy but would welcome suggestions from anyone with a better knowledge of gluing broken stuff back together.

Thanks in advance. No time wasters.

cynic-al
    Free Member

You need something with a bit of give. I’d suggest impact adhesive but I’m confident it will be crap, and am not aware of anything that will be better (we’d know about it if so).

andyl
    Free Member

Tried this? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Loctite-Super-Glue-Glass-Tube/dp/B0001P0DK6

Just spotted this: http://www.nano470.co.uk/IC80HighStrengthAdhesive.html

Some silicone based high strength adhesives work well on glass due to the OH surface and they will be flexible.

andyl
    Free Member

oh and polyurethanes too (flexible/tough and like OH surface)

jonba
    Free Member

My initial thoughts were 2 pack araldite types but they are not going to survive long outside and will go brittle and fail – they should manage to stick glass.

Silicone based glues could work, they certainly adhere to glass – the types normally used in bathrooms and building work. I’m not sure what the composition of things like no-nails is.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

If you can find a 2-part toughened structural epoxy adhesive that doesn’t come in a 5l tub I’m sure that will work (but you may struggle if you want it to be clear, or at least opaque).

I recall, in a previous job, needing to bond a piece of Dexion to a sheet of glass (don’t ask) – IIRC we ended up using 3M 9323 and the joint was so strong, the glass fractured in its plane, leaving a lump of glass still bonded, rather than the adhesive joint to either the Dexion or glass failing. NB: may be overkill…… YMMV……

pocketrocket
    Free Member

Watched one of those American restoration programs the other day.

An antique glass lamp shade got broken, and they used a clear film applied to the back to ‘invisibly’ fix it.

Unfortunately, I can’t remember any brand name or suchlike, but I’m sure with a bit of googling you’ll find something similar.

bearnecessities

Nothing as powerful as suggested above; you just need a light glue.

*tumbleweed*

xherbivorex
    Free Member

nickdavies

Frosted? Pocketrocket has the best suggestion IMO – but you’ll see it if it’s clear.

2 part epoxy will normally do the best job but not for a lampshade as it will fail with the heat. Same as most glues you can get. Superglue probably the best option then a bit of helicopter tape behind the joins to support them.

Harry_the_Spider

Clear helicopter tape? Hmmm…

kcal

I’ve used heavy duty Araldite (I think) to regalia an oven glass back together. Can’t recall the exact term for it —

tthew

I’ve got some of that 3M structural glue that Bristol Biker mentions up there. You’re welcome to borrow it, and I can find a way to get it to you but it’s ‘gloopy’ and wouldn’t make a nice job if aesthetics are at all important.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Best glue for repairing a glass lamp shade?’ is closed to new replies.