Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Best frame on a c£1500 road bike?
  • TomB

Need the collective’s opinion on a new road bike, please. My budget is £1500 plus or minus a bit, and I’d like to base the bike round a decent frame, rather than looking for the best groupset for the money (although wheel quality could swing it too. I’m inclined to buy from a shop for fit/after sales stuff, but willing to be convinced to go mail order. Shops round here stock Cube, Lapierre, Specialized, Trek, Scott, Cannondale, Focus, Orbea that I can recall.

Mail order I guess P/X, Dolan, Rose/Canyon. No Ribble thanks.
    Use is hilly solo rides (Lakes), not racing, could do with some smoothing out of fairly rubbish roads. Needs to be a compact and available to suit 6’3″ if anyone’s seen any spectacular deals on 2011 bikes?

Cheers all!

bommer
    Free Member

Spesh Roubaix. Will do all the smoothy stuff, plus lifetime guarantee. The current entry level model is based on the SL2 S-works from 3 years ago

Coleman
    Free Member

Possibly slightly over budget but this 2011 Giant TCR Advanced 2 is a reasonable deal
    http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/giant-tcr-advanced-2-bike-id59993.html
    Available in large and a great frameset.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Shibboleth
    Free Member

+1 for the Giant TCR. I love mine, comparable to frames costing much more…

TomB

That Giant is tempting, but can’t help worrying I’d be XL, which they haven’t got. Anyone 6’3″ got one?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Cannondale six form pauls with 105, wheels are crap but the frame should be mint. Failing that a CAAD10 if you don’t want to mail order.

Bregante

That TCR in xl is available at Paul’s even cheaper

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m7b0s6p3604

TomB

Nearly there on that Giant, but it’s standard 53/39 chainset. Does changing to a compact need a different front mech, different chainset or just rings ? (suspect from memory it’s a complete chainset change)

njee20
    Free Member

Complete chainset, but that’s not the end of the world, just sell the old one.

Rorschach
    Free Member

New chainset for compact.I’m 6’2″ and ride a large Tcr Adv sl (same geo)….not that I had much choice as there is no xl!Very much dependant on your leg/torso ratio.I’m all legs and no body so like em short,which is just as well.

justatheory
    Free Member

Cannondale six form pauls with 105, wheels are crap but the frame should be mint. Failing that a CAAD10 if you don’t want to mail order.

I used to have a Six and I’ve also owned a CAAD9. The Six is a very comfortable ride and very stiff, I much preferred it to my CAAD9.

theflatboy
    Free Member

i got a 2012 Spesh Roubaix, it’s great. 🙂

MrBlond
    Free Member

If your after a good frame this sounds tempting as they claim its exactly the same as the one the pros use:

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/road/product/review-focus-izalco-pro-30-12-45927

No idea whether there’s a spec variant that comes under budget though

onceinalifetime
    Free Member

Van Nich’s lifetime cover on frames and can be had for around that amount.

mboy
    Free Member

Another +1 for the Giant Advanced 2 from Paul’s Cycles. Don’t think you’ll get a better frame for the money personally. Giant’s Carbon frames are a cut above all the usual mail order suspects, the Cannondale Super Six is possibly a rival but the Giant a better all round package.

Size wise, they do have relatively long top tubes. The medium fits like a 54/55, the ML a 56/57, the large more like a 59/60, the XL is loooooong…

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Any of the frames from the big names will be great. I like the look of them focus’s personally (dunno why). The Giant is no doubt awesome, but there’ll be little between the gooduns, going for the one that fits you best is probably your best bet.

My bro has an XL giant and he’s 6’4″. Its about the right size for him, but its to big for me at 6’2″. You may be best off trying one.

The Canyon Ultimate Al looks good aswell, decent frame, full SRAM force groupset, Mavic Ksyrium Elites and good finishing kit for your budget.

Another angle on it, I do all my riding in the lakes on a Genesis Equilibrium. Steel frame and forks so not mega light, but its dead comfy and descends very nicely. Ive built it up fairly light, got me round the Fred Whitton and up all the climbs without any fuss at the weekend.

ahwiles
    Free Member

Genesis Equilibrium. Steel…forks

you’re in for a pleasant surprise…

🙂

(but yes, the frame is lovely)

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

you’re in for a pleasant surprise…

Why? I cant imagine they’ll give me many pleasant suprises though, they only cost £30.

Bregante

I think he was hinting that the forks on the equilibrium are carbon, not steel?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I understood. He was being a right clever cloggs. My forks are steel.

Bregante

🙂

jumping_flea
    Free Member

Giant TCR here. I’m 6ft4 and ride a large. Feels nice, the XL was too long for my liking.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Spa cycles titainium audax bike for around 1500. A frame for life?

verticalclimber
    Free Member

orbea? have a Onix very impressed for first road bike

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Best frame on a c£1500 road bike?’ is closed to new replies.