Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Best ever bail out.
  • stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Out for aride in the Pentlands this morning, very pleased with myself after riding the steps down to Torduff Res we then went through the woods at Clubbiedean Res. In here there is a corner where there is almost no trail left. I stupidly decided that I could ride it. I was trackstanding and considering my next move when I started to lean. Looking down there was almost nothing to put a foot on and a 6 foot drop into a rocky stream awaited me, one very large rock looked like my likely landing spot. I'm unsure of my next move, I think i probably just managed to get a foot down before leaping clear of the bike. Thankfully I managed to clear the very big rock and landed with a splash in the fairly cold water. Given the surrounding rocks I was lucky not to do myself serious mischief, the only problems being very wet feet and how to get back out. I was also lucky that the bike managed to catch on something and was hanging precariously above my head rather than landing on my head! I'm now thinking I may be better at bailing out rather than actually riding my bike. 😆

epicsteve
    Free Member

Is that corner in the woods on the southside of Clubbiedean? Not been through there for ages, but that bit was always a squeaky-bum moment on night rides. Might head along there tomorrow.

I was up in the Pentlands this morning as well, but a little bit further west.

fejling
    Free Member

Nice bail!

I had a great one when riding Cannock Chase one winter, I was riding the skinny plank over the boggy section and realised I was not going to make it, I decided to try and jump clear of the bog over towards the fence where in a split second I had decided was not as deep. I sank knee deep and also twanged my nipple on the wire fence, I think the whole of Cannock heard my sweary scream of pain.

epicsteve
    Free Member

Perhaps also a demonstration of why trackstanding isn't a useful trail skill…

Didn't fall off myself this morning but did manage to bang the knee I hurt when I fell off earlier in the week.

cycleworlduk
    Free Member

i remember in my yoof pinging down a road with hairpins somewhere in yorkshire dales on an mtb….overcooked it on a bend and went straight into the stone wall,wheel folded,and i shot over a hedge into the field(this is when the slapstick started) it was a sloping field with lots of sheep in and i slid on my front for over 50 ft…suffice to say it a) didnt hurt, b) covered me head to toe in sheep sh*t c) made me laugh a lot….

my only regret is that no-one saw me do it…

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Yeah thats the corner, normally walk it but I think I've been watching Danny Megaskill too much and thought I could hop my back wheel round it.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Best ever bail out.’ is closed to new replies.