Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Best disc brakes?
  • 1969pedalpusher
    Free Member

Any recommendations for the best disc brakes for a Superlight? I don’t ride anything extreme, mainly all day rides in Peaks/Pennines/Lakes, occasional trail centre, 13 stone-ish rider. Or point me to a thread if already covered please – cheers!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

You will get as many answers as there are makes of brake.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

All brakes work well. Pick the ones you like the look of. More money just equals lower weight.

MarkN
    Free Member

I have Saints on my Heckler and these are excellent but these are overkill for your needs. I would suggest some SLX brakes or if you want posh then XT/XTR.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Hopes

reliable, rebuildable, pads last a long time, british made high quality

gaberin
    Free Member

If you like avid brakes, i have some avid elixir cr mags that i might consider selling, as i don’t really like the levers.

let me know if interested.

Sam

Shimano XTR are the best brakes I’ve ever used.

Hicksy
    Free Member

XT for me – tried a few others before hand. Good power, good feel, don’t rub, reliable and not tooooo expensive.

mafiafish
    Free Member

New XTR trail brakes are probably the ‘best’ brake currently available. They’re as powerful as saints for about half the weight and combined with the new rotors and pads work great on long alpine descents (if you’d ever take a superlight on them!) The race brakes are a bit lighter and weaker but probably still a lot better than otehr manufacturer’s best offerings) However the new xt are pretty much as good for a lot less dolla (e.g. 120 quid a pair at Rose bikes).

jonk

I’m a hope man and my 3 bikes all have M4’s. I recently bought some Tech M4’s and im really disappointed with them compared to my mates XT set up.

womble321
    Free Member

Formula The Ones are the tits

fotorat
    Free Member

hopes – purely for the way the hoses connect at each end

Avids, purely for how good they are after the easy bleed kit

shimano XTR purely for looks and feel

hayes -rubbish

Shimano non xt – for there heavy weight!

chiefgrooveguru

Just had my first ride with Hope Race M4 Evos on the bike – the sensitivity is incredible, you can gently squeeze them and keep the tyres right on the edge of skidding. I had Avid Elixirs before and they were about as powerful but you couldn’t use them as hard because the modulation couldn’t compare – these Hopes are like having a great ABS system.

cookeaa

Magura…..

I’m a shimano fan really but figured you were a manufacturer short in the confusion stakes…

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Best disc brakes?’ is closed to new replies.