Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)
  • Best descents in the UK?
  • manlikegregonabike
    Free Member

What are the best trails here that are a pure blast with perfect flow and engaging features?

Rorschach
    Free Member

Ahem* Nationwide

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Shatners bassoon.

Thread closed.

RobHilton
    Free Member

A trail does not flow; you find the flow within yourself, Grasshopper.

fergal
    Free Member

Spooky Wood of course.

PS. the cleft on Beinn Doon is also a top notch descent

Rorschach
    Free Member

Top of Cadair Bronwen down to Cynwyd….all 7k of it.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

That one that drops down from that place by that other place next to the mast, there’s an old quarry near the bottom, but the bits through the gulleys off the moor leading into the trees are the best. There’s a bouldery bit near the old quarry entrance, It’s like riding over babies heads & goes on for ages & the beauty is that it changes every time there’s a downpour!

brocks
    Free Member

The one that ends well!

teethgrinder

Oddsox in Hamsterley.
    Not really

twonks

Best = the last one that had you on the edge of control, scared you a bit yet had you smiling like a Cheshire Cat at the bottom.

Too many variables in what people class as good to have a difinitive answer for all.

ontor
    Free Member

The “secret” singletrack that Goes into, and out of, the cliff face above Armstrong house. or…
    The nutcracker, in summer, in full, from the old fort. or…
    Yogurt pots circa 1999, or…
    Rangers path circa 2000 or…
    Cadair Idris long desent or…
    South downs “special” descent from whiteways, or…
    The trail I finished putting in today, or…

whattiler
    Free Member

Descending Pen Y Ghent in the 3 Peaks race on a cross bike with cantis and 33m tyres. Knackered after 4 hours of racing, trying to avoid the other riders who are on the way up and spectators. Nothing like it.

Northwind

Kinlochleven grey mare’s tail descent- destroys me every time but it is just relentlessly amazing. And better in the wet to boot.

(er- I might have the wrong name actually! The one they always use in the races, go up the mamore lodge road then turn right up the path that leads up the other side of the valley. The one with the countless lines, all of which are horrible)

poah
    Free Member

Don’t know as I’ve not riden it yet

jekkyl

The one you’re not expecting in the middle of the ride, quite fast but enough technical rocks to mind your speed. You clean one tricky bit and grin from the pleasure and you roll straight into the next..

matt_outandabout

The next one.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

McMillan way off the top of dunkery beacon. It goes on forever.

hodgynd
    Free Member

The secret one we rode yesterday in failing light in Dipton Woods near the end of the ride ..

ndthornton
    Free Member

Not including the countless fantastic cheeky trails that the good people of this country have made (list suddrnly gets a lot smaller)…then I reckon the best iv done is the descent from Grizedale Pike down Sleet How.

Has to be a perfect summers day and midweek with no one on it for it to win though. It really has everything…terryfying heart in mouth steep, gnarly, exposed, ‘am i going to die’ at the top…twisty flowy single track at the bottom and views to die for all the way. Yep that’s definately the one for me. Hike a bike up but the best ones usually are and 100% ridable down. Do whiteless and skidaw on the same day for the win

mark90
    Free Member

McMillan way off the top of dunkery beacon.

Heading NE?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

The one from Cam Head down to Starbotton.

wrecker
    Free Member

Top of Cadair Bronwen down to Cynwyd….all 7k of it.

This interests me very much. Would you mind expanding a bit please?

Rorschach
    Free Member

Yes

hairyscary

The trail down to Achnashellach train station in Torridon is as near to perfect as it gets.

turbo1397
    Free Member

As above – Achnashellach decent is outstanding..

hodgynd
    Free Member

Which Achnashellach descent ?
    From which direction ?

hairyscary

From Coire Lair down the singletrack towards the train station.
    Described as ‘Torridon fun park’ on Strava.

vongassit
    Free Member

Is it this one? spotted on youtube.

hairyscary

That’s the one.
    Top tip. At 7:57 in the video, where the guy briefly looks left, you need to turn left there. If you don’t you end up in some poor old guys garden.

weeksy

The middle long one half way down the Wall at Afan.

BoardinBob

Achnashellach is definitely the best I’ve done. Did it solo on a stunning sunny day. Insanely good

padkinson
    Free Member

That looks absolutely incredible. I started planning a trip as soon as the video was finished.

chickenman

Ah yes, the poor guys garden: Found myself pushing along beside the railway track, head down so the cctv at the crossing wouldn’t see my face… 😳

atlaz
    Free Member

One of my all-time favourites is the trail formerly known as mangrove in the Surrey Hills. it’s on private land where MTB riders are not tolerated but it’s lovely, has a bit of everything.

grannyjone
    Free Member

Antur Stiniog descents but its suprisingly hard my legs get tired after two days there

FOG

I too missed the turning on the Achneshellach descent and ended up heaving my bike over a fairly high fence just as – yes you have guessed it– one of the 6 trains a day appeared.I dived into the bushes on the other side and skulked

Gilles

Is it this one? spotted on youtube.

This is also as featured in the Santacruz video with Steve Peat to promote the first iteration of the Solo a few years ago.

wrecker
    Free Member

Yes

What a thoroughly nice chap……

weatheredwannabe
    Free Member

The secret ones that we don’t want anyone else to know about, obviously.

manlikegregonabike
    Free Member

Achnashellach looks incredible, better buy my train ticket!

Edit: £203!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘Best descents in the UK?’ is closed to new replies.