Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)
  • Best descents in the UK?
  • chakaping
    Free Member

If you don’t you end up in some poor old guys garden.

He’s very nice about it though, considering how much it must happen.

aide

Also missed the left on the Achneshellach descent as well, didnt know about the CCTV though…

Edit: boys garden was padlocked when i was there last year

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Anyone got a good route suggestion to take in the Achneshellach descent? Looks great!

chakaping
    Free Member

Drop me an email Willy, I can sort you out a GPX or send some strava links

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

If your going for the Achnashellach descent be sure to go over the corie Lair route to pretty much double the length of the descent.

This picture is looking down corie Lair towards Achnashellach

This is looking back up, this is the point where the descent to the station begins

captain_bastard
    Free Member

Anyone got a good route suggestion to take in the Achneshellach descent? Looks great!

Ooo oo oo, me too

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Some of the stuff above sounds ok, but to my mind the best UK descent is this little known slabby gem up in the north west of Scotland. It drops down from coire lair into a place called achnashellach.

But don’t tell anyone about it it’s not very well known

mintimperial

Ooo oo oo, me too

[/quote]

Start in Torridon, climb up from Annat over Bealach Na Lice, make sure you turn left and continue up to Coire Lair, ride down to Achnashellach, ride the road SW down to Coulags, back up over Bealach Na Lice and back down to Annat. That’s the classic Torridon Lollipop.

It’s rubbish though, don’t bother. 😉

hodgynd
    Free Member

I’ve been every which way on the Torridon loop but have yet to do that descent ( Achnashellach )..
    I’ve done an Achnashellach descent down an old pony trail south of that ..but not that one.
    It looks great..however I’m not a betting man but would bet against myself making it down there without at least one flattie..I **** hate water bars ..

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’ve been every which way on the Torridon loop but have yet to do that descent ( Achnashellach )..
    I’ve done an Achnashellach descent down an old pony trail south of that ..but not that one.
    It looks great..however I’m not a betting man but would bet against myself making it down there without at least one flattie..I **** hate water bars ..

Definitely worth firing on the likes of a WTB tough casing on the rear for up there, means you can enjoy the descent without worry, I friggin hate nursing a shit tyre down the likes of that, when all you wanna do is pin it!

neill070
    Free Member

Over 20 years ago,ish,,Kinlochlevin,from the dam,,,,not mare tail bit(didnt know it existed)new to biking,on a cheap crap claude butler with v brakes in the summr,on the main path,strait past devils bit,down and nearly going over on last bend due to brakes being sooooooo bad,i remember it well,as do some of the old dears walking up with there walking poles,with me almost out of control,dodging most of them,,,will be back one day,tho hated the way up,ah well,,,sure mares tail makes up for it

hodgynd
    Free Member

Are you talking about the Ciaran Path Neil?

chickenman

I did the Coire Lair descent by starting up from Coulags, turning off left to circumnavigate Maol Chean Dearg clockwise (including a cheeky wee munro tick of that summit on foot) then then over Bealach na Lice, turning left via Coire Grannda. Didn’t think the water bars were too onerous on the Coire Lair descent. Agree it’s the best descent in the country.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

There is only one trail behind the Nationwide in Swindon

chickenman

[/url]DSCN1016 by rick.campbell, on Flickr [/img] This would be a five star descent if it actually existed on the ground like it does in photos! Monega hill north face down to Caenlochan Glen (Glen Isla)
    [/url]DSCN0659 by rick.campbell, on Flickr [/img] The lower bit of the mile of bedrock off Sgurr Ban.
    [/url]DSCN0662 by rick.campbell, on Flickr [/img] Just where it gets steep.

neill070
    Free Member

Yup my mistake meant ciaran path,dont know where mare came from,,,glad didnt know it existed on my cb v braked bike,,the dam was great tho,do you have  to go  over the dam  to start it

lowey

Another Vote for Achnashellach. Endless rocky fast techy fun.

Special mention for Kidsty Pike down to Haweswater and Birkside to Thirlmere.

AlasdairMc

You don’t need to cross the dam to approach the Ciaran Path – you can come up Glen Iolarean past Ciaran bothy (it’s a hell of a drag) or alternatively there’s a path from the Eilde lochs through to it. The dam approach is probably the easiest, and the most enjoyable if you include the Devil’s Staircase descent too.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Ciaran path is one of the most over rated descents in the UK, Brilliant for about the first 30 seconds, then a bouldery pedal fest once down into the valley bottom.

As Northy rightly often says, it’s not even the best descent in Kinlochleven.

fadgadget
    Free Member

Been saying that for years. Utter shite. It has been ruined by Trials bikes over the years. Not that it was that good in the first place.

fadgadget
    Free Member

The descent from Loch Etchacan past the Hutchy to Glen Lui has to rank as one of the best. Far too many to choose from.

fergal
    Free Member

+1 for Macdui down to Glen Derry, must be one of the longest too, must do it via Cairn a’ Mhaim some time with the ridge descent looks great, then a mega carry up Macdui.

epicyclo

I’m going to put in a road one.

The Bealach na Bah, in lashing rain and wind, overtaking cars.

That’s a real buzz. 🙂

(Best done with nice big fat tyres like Big Apples so you can corner and brake like a motorbike, the road surface is questionable at the edges)

craig5

Helvellyn down to sticks pass and onto seldom seen was my favorite decent last year, and repeat offender down the golfie is always a blast.

dickyhepburn
    Free Member

For me (45) at the moment its BPW – vicious valley, surfin bird or Bonneyville then insufficient funds, then back up again in the truck and repeat as many times as arms will stand, then 2x sixtapod for a giggle at the end.

Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘Best descents in the UK?’ is closed to new replies.