Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Best Borrowdale Bash route?
  • grumm
    Free Member

Off to do the above tomorrow I think – not managed to get up there before. I’ve got the route that’s in the VG Guide, but I seem to remember a thread with some variations in it – can’t find it now.

This is the VG route

Any thoughts?

crazy-legs

That’s pretty much it, there’s an alternative route in from Keswick to Watendlath but it’s difficult to find and not all legal.
    Best bet is once you hit the road south from Keswick, get onto the path on the right hand side of the road. It’s out of the way of the traffic but not actually defined as being FP/BW or whatever.

boxelder

Only bit I’d change is that there’s a permissive bridleway climb from Seatoller, instead of slogging up the Honister Pass road. just after you leave the village and start the road climb proper, look for the gate on the right with the permissive BW sign – looks like it’s marked with black dashes in your guide (opposite the Yew Tree).

Garry_Lager

I did this ride for the first time recently grumm – just thought I’d say what a great route it is, really impressed with it and you’ll have an awesome ride.

Is it possible to get up the climb from Watendlath over to Rosthwaite? Seemed exceptionally difficult.

I was staying at Grasmere, I think boxelder you might have suggested a few routes on a thread I started here. I rode from the village over the fell to Wadendlath via Blea tarn, and by the time I’d got round to Keswick I was pressed for time, so I had to ride back to Grasmere on the road unfortunately. Still a fantastic ride. I half thought about skipping the bash and going back to Grasmere from Stonethwaite, there was a sign for it pointing up the hill. Seemed like a hellish ascent on the map so I decided on the bash instead.

crazy-legs

Is it possible to get up the climb from Watendlath over to Rosthwaite?

I’ve never seen anyone even come close to that and I’m fairly sure that even the locals (the riders from Keswick MTB etc) haven’t made it in one go.

grumm
    Free Member

Thanks folks, very useful info.

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

I have seen someone do 95% of it then spin out near the top. He didnt even make much of a big deal about it. I would have been crying my eyes out. Never gotten further than the turn 50% of the way up myself. Then it starts getting difficult 😮

Have been told about that permissive bridelway but if i didnt ride up honister i would feel like i had cheated in some way. Its like Rocky climbing the steps for me 🙂

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

About 300m along the road after Surprise Pt. there’s a FP on the right that runs along the river to Watendlath. It’s very rocky, and takes about half an hour as opposed to 5 mins on the road, but much more interesting:

Next at marker 4 on that map there’s a turn to the right into Frith Wood (BW) which is better than the straight run down to Rossthwaite.

After doing that we usually turn L over the river and pick up the BW into Stonethwaite, turning R back across the river after about 1km to join the road to Seatoller.

Pick up the permissive BW to Scaleclose about 80m past the bus shelter on the R in Seatoller.

When you come off the Allerdale Ramble to cross the road heading for Portinscale there’s a FP on the R – Silver Hill and Fawe Park which is a better way to Portinscale. This route is marked up in the album I’ve linked to.

but if i didnt ride up honister i would feel like i had cheated in some way

Well, Honister is pure shite, and the rocky downhill to Scaleclose junction is nothing special. The permissive track becomes rocky & technical (as well as great views), so I don’t miss going the old way. At least try it, and if you don’t like it blame me 🙂

TomB

Cheeky little add on at the start- Ambleside road out of town, R onto Springs Rd, to the end then up footpath, bearing R when path forks, continue with difficulty up past TV mast then turn 90 deg R and follow path along then down into Great wood car park. Then rejoin road. There are other cheeky options too…….

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Fair enough simon

grumm
    Free Member

Cheers – amazing pics in that gallery btw.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

thanks 🙂

thefallguy
    Free Member

We rode the boggies route in March, it’s a great route, the technical path on the right of the road up to Watendlath is worth doing, as is the Allerdale ramble into keswick – neither of which are on the vg route. We missed the permissive path at seatoller and rode up the honister pass for the downhill and then missed where the bridleway forked so ended up nearly down to seatoller again, down wasn’t that great so look for the path in seatoller.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

as is the Allerdale ramble into keswick – neither of which are on the vg route.

really ? I thought it did, but looking at it above I can’t tell – the road and trail are quite near to each other. Basically you swing left about a mile out of Grange and head up the BW to Cat Bells, taking the fork on the R to avoid the summit 🙂

thefallguy
    Free Member

my version of vg points you along the road after the Cat Bells terrace section rather than through the woods.

Have you ever thought of publishing your routes Simon? A high res pdf download of routes might be popular for us bikers who can only get up to the lakes a few times a year and don’t have your in-depth knowledge.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

my version of vg points you along the road after the Cat Bells terrace section rather than through the woods.

yeah, well, that’s a FP innit ?

Have you ever thought of publishing your routes Simon?

well, there are lots of them on the club website, I figure that’ll do. I’ve recently added 25K:1 maps to all the rides, and intend to merge that into the detailed route guides as soon as I can catch up on my ride photo backlog…

boxelder

Have you ever thought of publishing your routes Simon?

Lots of footpath riding involved too, so would end up in trouble no doubt.
    That path along the river into Watendlath gets busy at weekends etc, and walkers would be justified in getting a bit pi$$ed off by bikes.

thefallguy
    Free Member

doesn’t normally bother you..

as for offering downloads, just makes it easier to use and saves trawling your site, plus might help with club funds

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

no it doesn’t – but it would bother VG 🙂

just makes it easier to use and saves trawling your site, plus might help with club funds

heh, members have a quick search facility:-) And there’s no shortage of funds, the stingy buggers won’t spend owt!

thefallguy
    Free Member

the stingy buggers won’t spend owt!

😀

perhaps you should offer a long distance membership then?

grumm
    Free Member

Think he means that’s why its not in the VG guide – Edit: too late, yep

The Allerdale Ramble off-road bit is in the VG Guide – if that’s the bit between Manesty and Hawse End, past Catbells. Then goes back on road at the point where Simon is suggesting the footpath option.

I am quite up for some cheeky action on a quiet weekday but I’m not sure how the others on the ride will feel about it.

grumm
    Free Member

Thanks for the tips everyone – did the shortcut by Honister Pass but had to stick to the BWs for the rest thanks to my do-gooder mate – think it was a good thing though because there was loads of walkers about (almost all of them over 60 ;)).

Failed to do that much of the climb from Watendlath – some of the DH on the other side is fairly hairy! All rideable and good fun though.

Had the worst tech problems on any ride I’ve ever been on though. Mate running tubeless for the first time had a burp then couldn’t get it reinflated, but a new tube in instead and managed to split it putting it in. My other mate had a puncture for the first time in years, then did the same putting a new tube in. We rode down another few hundred yards then they both got punctures again.

Rode a bit further down and my mate with the tubeless woes went over the bars and broke his brake lever.

I was quite smug as I normally get quite a few punctures. 😛

thefallguy
    Free Member

Sounds like you had a memorable ride 😆

grumm
    Free Member

Indeed. 😛

Dunno if it’s just cos it was broken up so much by mishaps, but I didn’t think the route was the all-time classic it is often made out to be. I enjoyed it, but there was a bit too much road overall for my liking. Some very good sections but felt slightly ‘bitty’.

scruff
    Free Member

When we rode the cheeky FP to Watendlath there was a large group of blind ramblers walking along it (with help), respekk.

thefallguy
    Free Member

but I didn’t think the route was the all-time classic

there are some better routes but it makes for a great day out with some great scenery, I love the drop through castle crag. And it is better if the cheeky bits are included. Its prob over hyped, but it is one of the lakes ‘must rides’.

a large group of blind ramblers

aren’t they all? 🙁

grumm
    Free Member

Yeah it does indeed have fantastic view, love the scenery in that bit of the lakes. Castle Crag dh was probably the best bit. Though after our earlier puncture incidents I thought someone was definitely going to puncture on there.

Not sure if it would have been such a good idea riding the footpaths to be honest – it was pretty busy with walkers and looked quite narrow to me. Maybe one for an evening or something.

Tracey

We did the same route out of the VG book and had a great day. Abigale was flying down here

Finished up with this, still has a small lump

then further found left the trail altogether

http://kevinlawton6103.fotopic.net/c1371089.html

Tracey

grumm
    Free Member

Yup that was around the bit where my mate went over the bars 😛

GaVgAs
    Free Member

The Bridleway from Honister slate mine towards Castle cragg has recently been repaired, so is a bit nicer to ride now.I still prefer the permitted Bridleway climb from Seatoller though.

As Boxelder says the route gets busy with walkers on a weekend so I would avoid the footpath options,and ride these in the evenings.

A good tip would be to start in Grange, and do the Allerdale ramble Bridleway (North) first,this avoids the numerous walkers in the afternoon, and means the legs are nicley warmed up for the steep Watendlath road climb.

If you do get a mechanical/punctures these are most common on the Castle cragg, or Frith wood decents,and Grange is in the right spot if you need to bail out!

Theres a cracking cafe in Rosthwaite, or you can use the ones in Grange at the end of the ride.

Its possible to ride from Watendlath via frith wood to Langstrath off road,its an exellent winter ride as theres no bog or major river crossings.

have a good one..

ps.. Skeddadle Bike Holidays, have a big ride out on the Borrowdale bash on Sunday so expect a few bikes around! 🙂

GaVgAs
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwY-RjZ8yTA[/video]

[video]http://vimeo.com/2925310[/video]

A few Borowdale Bash Vids 😉

GaVgAs
    Free Member

The turn for Frith wood is through the small wooden gate at 130 on Maxes Video,as Sfb says its a much better decent, and is usually less busy with Ramblers.

Horse
    Free Member

ps.. Skeddadle Bike Holidays, have a big ride out on the Borrowdale bash on Sunday so expect a few bikes around!

Oh bugger, any more info on their plans Gavgas? Have searched their website and can’t see anything. Might have to change our plans if there’s loads of folk about.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

worth heading out early to include the cheeky trail around Walla Crags to Ashness Bridge

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

I tried the RH route through Frith Wood on a wet day-completely bottled it after a few hairy moments-could hardly walk down it let alone ride it-hats off to you guys & gals who do it regularly. Lack of speed to carry me through was probably the problem but us Southern softies don’t get the chance to hone our rocky technique too often!

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Best Borrowdale Bash route?’ is closed to new replies.