Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • best bookshelf speakers?
  • turneround

looking to change my acoustic energy floorstanders for some bookshelf / compact speakers. Got a complete original audiolab system so looking for a high(ish)end set to completment this….any suggestions max £500 budget (interested in 2nd ahnd also)

Johnboy373
    Free Member

I got Monitor Audio 5.1 surround sound system and i LOVE them. Mine are the bronze range however for the cash you want to spend you could prob get the silver range bookshelfs.

They get top marks in what hi fi audio video mag. they look cool too

MrAgreeable

Tick, but for £1-200 budget. Are Kef still any good at that price range?

Before the audio snobs start, this will be for listening to scratchy records on some rumbly old Technics 1200s, so better speakers will be a somewhat questionable investment.

jim_1980
    Free Member

I have a set of these http://www.bang-olufsen.com/beolab4 they were just over £500 2 years ago not sure how much they are now but my god they are good!!! and look pretty nifty as well.

Johnboy373
    Free Member

@jim_1980 those ARE very nifty speakers. I like them alot.

momo

Mr Agreeable, not sure what the KEFs are like in that price range, but if I were you I'd be looking at the new wharfedale diamond 10.1.

Digimap
    Free Member

FWIW I use celestion SL6's with an audiolab amp.
    http://www.worldsbestloudspeakers.com/About_Us/Classic_Gear/Loudspeakers/Celestion_SL6/celestion_sl6.html

I'm a bit out of touch with recent stuff, you want something quite responsive as the audiolabs are on the lively side.

momo – Still not heard a wharfedale that didn't sound like someone had lobbed an old carpet over it!

Digimap
    Free Member

After a brief surf about I'd be listening to some EPOS M12i which are just in budget if you shop about. Or to save a heap of cash I'd take a punt on the Celestion SL6's currently on ebay with no bids for 50 notes.

marsdenman
    Free Member

Love my original Quad 12L's so maybe the series 2 ones could fit the bill – HERE

or the smaller (how big is your bookshelf 🙂 ) Quad11L 2's HERE

alternatively at teh price these Epos M5i have to be worth considering? – HERE

Only linked to Superfi as they list them all under one roof….

Purplefunkymonkey
    Free Member

Quad L series work very well with Audiolab amplification , and the piano laquer finish is stunning. 8)

coolhandluke
    Free Member

AVI neutrons?

Quality stuff.

Or the bigger but terribly named Biggertrons (a bigger neutron) as designed for studios, no rear firing base ports.

I have some biggertron (red spot version) with Audiolab 8000 Pre & Power combo (pre tag) and they're wonderful. 😆

saladdodger
    Free Member

I had a set of Dynaudio's a few years ago and they constantly amazed me with the "size" of the sound from a small set of speakers

Try em

Hadge
    Free Member

Linn Kans 😀 No seriously they work very well in a Naim system like I use but not so sure with Audiolab kit. I could recommend the Quads as they are lovely little boxes giving a wonderful sound. IMO the Celestions work far better on stands and also away from the rear wall. I had some SL600's a few years back and the base was tighter and cleaner when used away from the walls and I also ran them with some Audiolab pre/power amps before buying the incredible Krell KSA100 power amp.

jim_1980
    Free Member

Cheers Johnboy373 they produce a crisp clear and loud sound…….for that price they should!

turneround

cheers folks… some nice recommendations there…will check them all out….. no one after a set of mint acoutic energy AE109's are they????

soma_rich
    Free Member

no one after a set of mint acoutic energy AE109's are they????

Maybe how much?

traildog
    Free Member

I like the Avi bookshelf speakers, they are certainly worth checking out.
    But you really need to listen to some yourself and go with what you prefer, not what anyone else says.

therealhoops
    Free Member

ppfff amateur answers at best. Genelec 1029's are what you need and you might pick up some older style 1029A's for £500 if yer lucky.

turneround

soma, ive sent you an email

Jerome
    Free Member

Rogers LS35's here.
    These and the KEF equivalenet seling on ebay.

J.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Sonus Faber or Proac sh? AVI v good too, maybe a bit clinical with audiolab (and audiolab is not my thing so I am probs not best placed to comment)

ransos
    Free Member

Firstly, you probably know this, but bookshelf speakers are never ever to be placed on bookshelves. Buy some decent stands instead.

Secondly, check out Audiovector. Like Dynaudio except better. I have some Mi1s on my Cyrus system, and they are a fantastic match.

turneround

just been offered a wicked deal on a set of Opera Mezza's with matching stands…. anyone used these?

marsdenman
    Free Member

Hi-Fi shop or private?

Either way, find a way to test them in your system, preferably in your room!

(LOL – this from the man that trusted the raving on the quads so ordered on spec…… 😳 – fortunately though – no regrets!!)

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘best bookshelf speakers?’ is closed to new replies.