Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Best Android app for offline OS maps?
  • DeeW
    Free Member

Tried search but didn’t come up with much.

I’ve used Alpinequest with Mobile Atlas Creator 1.8 to generate offline OS maps, but recently found MOBAC restricting me to very small download areas. Going up to Scotland at Easter with no wifi when i’m up there, and would like maps for a large area.

What’s the best app for downloading OS maps to use offline. Had a look at Backcountry Navigator, but don’t want to spend £12 on the full version if there is something better out there.

Any advice please?

Drac
    tillydog
    Free Member

If you don’t mind OSM maps, Maps.me seems to work just fine (I’m using the iOS version, but they do Android, too.)

http://maps.me/en/home

Seems to be genuinely free.

Felofagen
    Free Member

+1 Viewranger. A well put together app

bruneep

Scotland does have wifi 😐

View ranger

sheeps

Backcountry Navigator – brilliant

robj20
    Free Member

Viewranger, best app i have tried.

BenjiM

I’ve used Maverick for years and it’s been great, lot’s of choice for other map types too.

gallowayboy

+1 more for Viewranger

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Backcountry Navigator.

MadBillMcMad

I used to be a Maverick fan but map uploads is so slow.

I have switched to Backcountry Navigator, a.

Both are excellent apps, offerring 1:25,000 OS maps or Open Cycle Maps.

BN is a more all singing all dancing app with a lot more features, but also a lot more complex.

ndthornton
    Free Member

viewranger

ir_bandito
    Free Member

MMTracker using Memory Map data used to be the best, but its not available anymore officially as it “bypassed” Memory Map’s licensing.

I already owned the old versions of the MM maps when I got it though, and its flawless. 🙂

scruff
    Free Member

ir- bandito,
    Ive set the MMtracker directories but if I have 4 routes in that directory I have to choose the ‘load all routes at start up’ & I cant load them individually. I’ve tried the overlay- load route but nothing happens. Any ideas?

northernerindevon

+ 1 for ViewRanger.

While its not free, it seems good value & is by far and away my used app. I’m on iOS but imagine that the Android version will be just as fantastic. Their customer support is excellent as well – email queries are answered extremely quickly.

welshfarmer

If you can get hold of a complete set of the 1:25000 qct Memory Maps of the UK from about 2005 (MM version 5) then you can store them on the PC and copy which ever areas you want onto the Ext SD card of your phone and use Alpine Quest. I have been successfully doing this for a few years with no issue at all. I keep the whole of the UK at 1:50K and the whole of Wales at 1:25K on the card at all times and upload other areas if I need to. Also store areas of OSM and aerial images on there if going somewhere new or foreign. AQ has a nice feature that allows you to overlay the OS maps and the aerial images and fade them into one another. I have not used Strava for years either. I just record my ride using AQ and save it as a gpx file at the end of the ride and upload direct to the PC at home. Not lost a single ride since doing this, whereas I had no end of issues using the Strava app on my phone.

For the latest (hacked) MM Tracker, go HERE and go back through the pages for a version which works on Lollipop except for the compass.

Simon

Another happy Back Country Navigator user here.

AlexSimon

So with ViewRanger, how much does it end up costing for the app and all of the 1:25000 maps to cover the peak district?

ir_bandito
    Free Member

if I have 4 routes in that directory I have to choose the ‘load all routes at start up’ & I cant load them individually

Not sure to be honest. I seem to remember having a similar problem, so I save all routes as gpx tracks and load them in that way. I can certainly load them individually or all at once. Reassuringly loaded tracks seem to come up as dark blue by default and recorded tracks are cyan, so you can tell the difference.

Drac

So with ViewRanger, how much does it end up costing for the app and all of the 1:25000 maps to cover the peak district?

£19

nickjb
    Free Member

It’s a lot cheaper for 1:50k

Drac

£10 for the National Parks pack.

AlexSimon

Sounds pretty good that Drac. Cheers!

marty_mayhem
    Free Member

Maverick all the way. Cache the area on wifi before you head out. Great right down to 1:25000 and uploads/follows gpx uploads really well. No data required once out and about. One of the main reasons I have an Android phone.

doncorleoni
    Free Member

Orux maps for me. Tried view ranger and back country Nav and although good does not quite offer functionality of Orux.

Orux interface takes a bit of getting used to but it’s free. You can select many open source maps to load…then save offline so no data needed.

Great for gpx mapping – upload gpx and use as a map.

I have also used it on my kayak as it has marine maps.

thepodge
    Free Member

I’ve found a disc with a load of Memory Map files on it. Whats the best way to get these to work on my android phone? I’m running linux on my laptop so installing the proper program is a no go.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Back country Nav is £6.99 one off charge (might be £7.99 now), you get OS maps down to 1.25K and lots of other countries (IGN 1.25k Spain for example). Free trial in Play store, easy to use.
    View ranger is very expensive by comparison.

nemesis
    Free Member

thepodge – MM tracker – you won’t find it in the play store but you can find places to download it online.

hutchweb

I have been using viewranger for years now and it keeps getting better. Mapping is cheap, just download which tiles you want. Runs on my phones and ipad and Samsung tablet and on the PC. So easy to plan routes on tablet then upload to the phone and follow! The navigation bit shows the profile of the terrain coming up, which is useful. Records your tracks as well, and imports .gpx etc.
    I find that 1-50000 mapping is best for cycling, 1-25000 can have a bit too much info.
    I have downloaded maps for it in switzerland as well.

headfirst
    Free Member

+1 for BCN. I have most of England stored on my phone as a zoomable map which can be viewed offline. And I’ll be adding parts of Scotland this summer too. The best value app I’ve ever bought by a long way.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I have been using viewranger for years now and it keeps getting better. Mapping is cheap,

No, it’s expensive.

Drac

Back country Nav is £6.99 one off charge (might be £7.99 now

£11.99

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Back country Nav is £6.99 one off charge (might be £7.99 now)

£11.99

OK so it’s gone up a bit in the last 3 years. However, £11.99 for the whole of the UK @ OS 1:25k and many other countries. £11.99 on ViewRanger will get you two thirds of the Peak District @ 1:25k (source:Drac) or not very much if you’re buying individual tiles.

Drac

So it comes with the licensed full OS 1:25k for the UK? That is good.

ThePinkster

Another happy Back Country Navigator user here.

And here although I don’t use it that often as I’ve got a SatMap as well.

deadhead1971
    Free Member

Locus Maps is excellent, but somehow never seems to get mentioned in threads like this.
    There’s a free and premium version, and it does offline maps brilliantly.

Locus Map – mobile outdoor navigation app

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

deadhead1971 – Member
    Locus Maps is excellent, but somehow never seems to get mentioned in threads like this.
    There’s a free and premium version, and it does offline maps brilliantly.

Looks ok, but not that great. Doesn’t appear to do 1:25k scale for starters, I didn’t even bother looking any further into it after that.

These maps are based on real Ordnance Survey mapping at a scale of 1:40 000 enhanced with additional data including footpaths and points of interest from Open Street Maps.

Don’t even appear to be OS maps, says they’re based on them.

pfrumpy
    Free Member

Dang, it appears to me that MOBAC 1.8 finally stopped working in terms of downloading OS maps. Disaster! Perhaps the source of the OS mapping has been closed out. I believe that multimap which I think was the OS source has been bought by Microsoft so maybe they have switched it off now.

If anyone has worked out how to point MOBAC to another working OS source, please share!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Best Android app for offline OS maps?’ is closed to new replies.