Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Map Apps that use OS
  • h1jjy
    Free Member

After taking a wrong turn when out on my ride today I’ve found both Google and Apple maps to be lacking when out on a trial.
    So what’s the best iOS App that uses OS Maps?

I know I should have taken a real map, but it was a last minute thing

Drac

View Ranger.

h1jjy
    Free Member

Thanks will give to ago

geoffj

The OSM maps on View Ranger are very good – almost at OS level now and more up to date in many cases.

bwakel
    Free Member

Anquet Maps uses proper OS maps and you can buy all the different scales to meet your needs.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Backcountry Navigator uses OS Multimap 1:25000, try their free trial app for 3 weeks’ish, then costs £6.99 (possibly £7.99 now) one off charge. You just select and download the area you want for that trip to use offline (best done on wifi at home, but can be done using mobile data). Afterwards, Keep the file, delete it, whatever depending on memory capacity you have on your phone. Next trip to another area, do the same. I compared it to viewranger where the app is free and you get a couple of free very small tiles, but you have to buy all the small OS tiles for other areas, BCN appeared much cheaper in the long run. You can download and overlay others gps routes (ie downloaded off the internet or sent from a friend) or create your own routes etc etc.

Drac

I compared it to viewranger where the app is free, but you have to buy all the small OS tiles for areas,

No you don’t. You can buy tiles, you purchase tokens and each tile uses a set number of tokens.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

No you don’t. You can buy tiles, you purchase tokens and each tile uses a set number of tokens.

Sorry, don’t understand that, do you buy OS map tiles or tokens? what are tokens? when I trialled viewranger (2 years ago or thereabouts) I got 3 free OS tiles which covered a very small area ie not even all my local Ilkley Moor. Then it appeared to be £1.67 per very small tile thereafter (I believe it might be cheaper per tile now?). So, how much would it cost for tiles/tokens to cover the Lakes, North Yorks Moors, Yorkshire Dales, West Highlands, IGN 1:25k Costa Blanca etcetc?

Drac

I’ve had it for about 5 years and still works the same.

You buy tokens (Credit).

These can be used to buy tiles or routes, each of which varies slightly in how many tokens (Credits) they use up. You can buy whatever tiles or needed to cover the area you want or buy a set group.

£15.99 buys you 1000 Credits and tiles are around 20 Credits each so about 80p.

1:25,000 Map packs can be had for around £19.99 each. https://shop.viewranger.com/products.php?category_id=11

Full national parks pack 1:50,000 costs £10 https://shop.viewranger.com/product_details.php?item_id=38

I just but the tiles for the areas I want know.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

So, once you’ve spent your tokens/credit on OS tiles/maps for an area of the Scottish West Highlands 1:25k, can you get your money back and then spend it on OS tiles/maps for somewhere in the Lake District 1:25k, then maybe get your money back and spend it on IGN North West Italy 1:25k (Aosta Alps)?

Drac

Errrr! No. That would be like taking map back to a shop and asking for another.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

OK, thanks, wasn’t sure if I’d misunderstood viewranger.

iain1775
    Free Member

Memory map

medoramas
    Free Member

OS Mapfinder seems pretty good too – I purchased 3 tiles around the neighborhood, each tile is 10km x 10km. I find the app a bit easier to navigate than View Ranger, but that is very personal thing.

GavinB

How does pricing compare with Viewranger, Memory Map etc?

I’ve been using Outdoors GB & Parks, which is £2 to buy (iOS and Android) and gives you 1:250k UK and 1:50k National Parks. Regions are then about a tenner, so I’ve added NE Scotland and Highlands, so that gives me pretty much everything I’d need in the UK on all our phones and tablets for £22.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Map Apps that use OS’ is closed to new replies.