Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Best AM bike/frame
  • cubemeup
    Free Member

as it says guys im looking to change my frame in the new year from a cube fritzz to another long traveled bouncer.
    iv looked at the nomad,tracer 2 and the nukeproof mega. im more drawn to the nomad but also like the tracer also with the tracer i dont have to buy a new back wheel, iv heard some bad storys about the mega snapping etc.

so whats your views?

chris

float
    Free Member

best AM bike! the vagueness here is crippling.

slight thread highjack, but can someone recommend me the best bike for riding everywhere 😉

buttercup
    Free Member

What about a Trans Covert? Amazingly spec’d for the price. Light as. Great customer service.

If I ever decided to get bouncy back again.. it’d be the Covert. hands down.

toys19
    Free Member

Love my covert!

jockhaggis
    Free Member

The Covert is by no means light at 7.74lbs for the frame only.

Nomad Carbon and Mojo HD Carbon should be on your list.

Budget? Where do you ride?

toys19
    Free Member

Jockhaggis considering you must have looked that up you got it wrong..

7.74 lbs / 3.51 kg (Medium Frame With Rear Shock)

from transitions website

as a complete bike with what it comes with it comes in pretty light considering its capapbility.

Nomad is

Frame weight with Fox RP23 Kashima Shock (Medium) – approx 6.97lbs.

and nomad carbon

Frame weight with Fox Float RP23 Kashima Shock (Medium) – Approx 6.06lbs.

But then Transition say they build their bikes to last and we have seen a few failed nomad frames on here.

cruzer
    Free Member

there was a problem with the seatstays snapping on the megas, but nukeproof have now sorted this and sent anyone who brought a mk1 brandnew set of seatstays. which i think is fantastic customer service.

Personally id opt for the tracer, simply because i love my mk1 and i can only see the mk2 just being even better. it takes everything you throw at it and more.

buttercup
    Free Member

On the Nomad carbon road.. Why would you want a 6 inch travel bike that’s completely carbon? That’s too much heartbreak waiting to happen.

I was in love with the Nomads when the mk2’s came out. But, they are significantly overpriced for what they come with. And.. kind of look like a rainbow.
    Plus, VPP may be a total pain to deal with in the peaks.

It all boils down to what the OP wants out of his bike.
    Personally, I’d rather haul around 10 more ounces of frame and the 2k difference in my pocket.
    So I shall still suggest. “Have you checked out the covert?”

mojo5pro
    Free Member

What is it about the cube fritzz you don’t like? You seem to be thinking of pretty similiar bikes

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

On the Nomad carbon road.. Why would you want a 6 inch travel bike that’s completely carbon? That’s too much heartbreak waiting to happen.

Why wouldn’t you?

wrecker
    Free Member

There is no “best” only a best for you. We all have our preferences.
    The only way to find out is to ride them all.

HeatherBash
    Free Member

>Why would you want a 6 inch travel bike that’s completely carbon? <

This. If you’re big enough to need 6″ going down you should be big enough to crank another .91 lb up the hill.

I’ve got a Fritzz – it’s no better or worse than all the other bikes mentioned above and I doubt there’s hellish much real world riding difference between them all anyway.

Look at the Canyon Strive – very similar to the Fritzz but better value.

geetee1972
    Free Member

It’s pretty hard to buy a bad bike these days, at any level of travel. So many of them seem to work so well, have great specs and warranty support etc, that you could pretty much boil your choice down to what you particularly like the look of.

My own recommendation would be the bike I ride, obviously.

A Nicolai Helius AM. It is very neutral in its ride characteristic; it’s not the plushest ride around, but it is the least obtrusive. By that I mean it has no strange quirks and behaviours in the way its suspension works.

I’ve spent time on both the Carbon Nomad and Ibis Mojo HD.

The Nomad works slightly better to isolate you from big inputs; the Mojo HD pedals better and both (in carbon guise) are 1lb lighter than the AM.

The Yeti 575 is light, well balanced and the suspension works very well, but it’s a little less planted at speed than the Helius AM.

Having seen what an Orange Five/Alpine can do first hand and in the right hands, I cana also say there is something intrinsically right about those bikes.

The idea that a multi pivot/bearing bike isn’t going to hold up as well in the Peak I think is nonsense. My AM has been all over the place and through equally as corrosive winters here in the SE as in the NW and apart from one service a year, it’s pretty much faultless.

What I like most about the AM is its versatility.

You can set it to travel anywhere between 142mm and 172mm (it can go shorter, but I don’t think it works at all well in that guise) and with prudence it can be built sub 30lbs.

Mine weighs 28lbs 11ozs with air front and rear. I also run it coil front and rear for the Alps and Peak/Welsh rides.

If you would like a test ride, I can offer you one on mine, depending on where you’re located.

wilko1999
    Free Member

I’ve just bought a Titus El Guapo (see links) and am currently building it up…

Bargain at 799 including shock. My large frame including the shock weighed in at 7lb on the nose

Review included too…

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FRTITELGUV2/titus_el_guapo_frame_and_monarch_shock

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/mountain/product/el-guapo-frame-10-36835

Get ’em while they’re hot!

jedi

i’m never bothered by frame weight. my bike rides light due to the light wheels/tyres 🙂

MRanger156
    Free Member

Spoilt for choice in todays market especially at Nomad price range.

I have a covert built up with X9, SLX, Saint brakes (200mm rotors), Hope Hoops, Lyriks Solo Air. No idea how heavy it is but it copes fine with 50km xc in the dales. 2011 frames can be had for around £1k if you shop around, only difference in 2012 is the 12mm rear and colours.

Please don’t get one though as they are becoming too common!

I’d also look at the Trek Slash.

steezysix
    Free Member

If you’re on a bit more of a budget, have a look at a YT Wicked 150
    YT Industries
    £1450 for a complete bike with really good spec and weighs in about 30lb. I’ve only done a couple of rides so far but very impressed.

marco
    Free Member

Canyon Strive – great price & outstanding spec. I have the ES8 and love it

nmdbase
    Free Member

i’m never bothered by frame weight. my bike rides light due to the light wheels/tyres

Amen to that 🙂
    I think Covert is a good choice.

itnava
    Free Member

Plus, VPP may be a total pain to deal with in the peaks.

Why ? I have a TRc and Nomad C and both are fantastic in the Peak… I did have an original blur that had issues with bearings but no such problems now.

cubemeup
    Free Member

i find my Fritzz goes through the travel way to fast on the first stroke. iv had the shox serviced and tinkered with the air pressure,i do really enjoy how it descends BUT it climbs very slugish. another reason is that have snapped the rear chainstay once and dont have much faith in it along with snapping bolts twice on the drive side.

i ride in south wales by the way mainly do natural trail but might do cwmcarn as its on my doorstep

5lab

what about that new cotic?

will be suitably rare when it comes out

chakaping
    Free Member

I had a Fritzz and couldn’t get the suspension right either.

Went to a Foxy, which turned out to be wrong size for me and I missed the Fox 36, so then got a Dune.

Obvs I’m recommending the bike I own so you need a pinch of salt, but I reckon it’s a really underrated gem.

Very light, amazing geometry that climbs fine and does actually descend a bit like a DH bike. Feels balanced front and rear and has very composed suspension – my main problem with the Fritzz was how it would pitch and yaw after any little drop, messing me up for the next section.

BTW Nukeproof have recalled the dodgy chainstays on the Mega now, so not a concern if buying new.

Trek Slash and Orange Alpine and maybe Spesh Enduro would all be on my list if buying again now and Dune was unavailable.

cubemeup
    Free Member

not really fussed on them

cubemeup
    Free Member

i dont like single pivot rode my brothers enduro, i just want to transfer the parts off my cube to a new frame

nmdbase
    Free Member

Umm, the mega and covert are single pivots 😆

cubemeup
    Free Member

yeah i ruled the mega out

5lab

what you were feeling is probably more to do with shock setup than suspension design itself – sounds like your shock was softer than his so your bike climbed worse and blew through its travel too quickly?

if you liked the enduro, just get an enduro

cubemeup
    Free Member

i dont want another off the shelf bike hence the choice of frames

mrblobby
    Free Member

Never properly rode a single pivot bike before the mega, thought they’d all be horribly bobby. It’s actually really good. There can be a lot of difference between seemingly similar suspension designs too based on location of pivots, types of shock, etc. I now wouldn’t rule a bike out just based on suspension design.

ajr
    Free Member

][/url]150mm El Ciclon

J273
    Free Member

@geetee1972

Love the nicolai – Looks long and low.

Is that an off the shelf stock size?

TomZesty
    Free Member

Zesty/Spicy depending how much you will use it in Britain/ Alps. Won countless AM/Enduro races and ride really well both up and down.

cubemeup
    Free Member

i would stick to my Fritzz rather than have a Lap sorry

messiah
    Free Member

Happy to reccomend what I have…

This is a Medium frame from 2010 with 1.5″ Headtube and HammerSchmidt mounts. Free options… no Nicolai’s are stock since you get to spec things for free.

I run air or coil shocks on it depending on what the ride deserves (or if I can be bothered changing them).

I’ve had it nearly two years and it’s an extremely nice bike. I have nothing to complain about, as Geetee says above there are no bad habits and hence nothing about the frame I would change.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Is that an off the shelf stock size?

Sort of. It’s a stock large, just with the seat tube cut down to 15″

Bregante

Another Nicolai fan here. “only” a Helius CC in my case (approx 140 travel f+r) but more than capable of what I get up to.

J273
    Free Member

If you dont mind me asking how tall are you?

looking to get one myself .

thanks

Bregante

Who, me?

6′ 1″ and ride a large. If anything I could do with it being slightly longer in the top tube but stand over height is about spot on. They are similar in dimensions to a Heckler, if that’s any use.

J273
    Free Member

Sorry i meant – geetee1972

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Best AM bike/frame’ is closed to new replies.