Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Berwyn Mountians: The Wayfarer Loop anyone ridden it?
  • snoopdog
    Free Member

Hi guys

Looking at doing this @ the weekend. Anyone ridden the 57km loop in the tral guide section here?

Whats it like, is it really 6-8 hrs. What are your experiences?

Cheers

stratobiker
    Free Member

Dunno about that loop, but I’ve ridden the Wayfarer a few times. It’s great if you like being out in the mountains for a long hard ride. There’s not much in the way of super singletrack though.

The Liverpool Century Road Club used to do it as a weekend away. They’d ride out from L’pool, over the wayfarer stay in a B&B, then ride back next day. Dunno if they still do.

SB 🙂

Nick

Done bits of it, will be a really good ride at the moment, pretty miserable place to be in crap weather!

Daisy_Duke
    Free Member

Ridden Wayfarer lots of time, but usually end up riding from Llandrillo and end up in Llanarmon DC and back. Track has a hard base and rocky in places. Heavily used by 4×4’s and trail bikes. Where’s this route guide?

snoopdog
    Free Member
    Blackhound

As has been said it would not be pleasant in bad weather but the couple of times I did it the weather was glorius.

Did the route from STW issue 1 and that was excellent

Southlakes
    Free Member

Here a few photos taken by a RSF member when he lead a ride over the Wayfarer.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Dunna bovva, its all pish..Go to llandodaa instead ;0)

chvck
    Free Member

I’ve been thinking of riding this for a while now as it’s on my doorstep! Let us know how you get on!

nasher
    Free Member

I used to liv inLlandrillo and my mum lives right at the start of the trail (depending on where you start)

There is some excellent trails if you had east after reaching llanarmon Dc with some excellent moorland singletrack bringing you back to cynwyd.

Also try the trails above Pistyll Rhaeadr (the waterfal) some excellent singletrack bringginf g you down to llangynog (home of the Athertons)

also you can climb back up and again some excelelnt trails back to llandrillo..even some boardwalk stuff…

You just have to explore.

I used to ride it loads in the late 1980’s on my very cheap peugoet mtb with road bike gear in misrable cold weather…….

ahhh memories!!!

Stranger
    Free Member

Been over that way a couple of times.
    Put up a few photos here

It’s well worth a visit

Hip
    Free Member

Did this route from Colin Down’s web site (which looks remarkably similar to my drunken eyes) last summer, 31 miles took us just over 7 hours. Started and finished in Llanarmon DC (Clockwise) which was great as it was all downhill from the wayfarer book on our very tired legs… Mostly road and double track with a little single but stunning when the weathers on your side.

snowpaul
    Free Member

hello

2nd Hips route advice – i am Paul in the pics ! Its a fun ride in nice weather – could be grim if wet – worth doing

paul

Southlakes
    Free Member

I move alot information about the Wayfarer route on its own website at this link The Rough-Stuff Fellowship will having ride up to Wayfarer Memorial sometime in June 2011 details of the ride will be post here sometime next year

Russell96

Bet that un-rideable bog at the top of the climb after Llanrhaeadr-ym-Mochnant is rideable right now, the descent after if would be a bit of a challenge at the moment.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Yeah I’ve ridden 3 loops round there that take in the Wayfarer and the waterfall at the end of the other valley.

Ridden them in awesome and rubbish weather, really good for getting away from almost everyone else in the whole world.

The pub in the village with the big up turned hand it pretty good too

cinnamon_girl

Yes, I’ve ridden it solo in Summer a few years ago. Started in Llandrillo and enjoyed the most amazing scenery. I do remember that the return part was trashed by MX’ers.

Real epic day for me, first time I’d done a big solo ride. 🙂

nasher
    Free Member

I have been told by my family thata lot of work has been done to the wayfarer by the 4*4 groups that drive there!!

i plan to do it this christmas, I’m hoping that the earth will be frozen and not too much snow….it would be Ace!!!!

mattbee

4×4 groups have done some resurfacing work on sections that were getting seriously eroded, don’t worry about it being too sanitised, they like it rough too, just not axle munchingly so!

I remeber doing it with Nasher on 2 occasions, one in scorching heat, we couldn’t climb fast enough to dislodge the flies grouping on sweaty backs. The next was bitterly cold, think freezing cables and spds. Great both times.

neilb67
    Free Member

Last time I did it I came across this abandoned…

clarkpm4242
    Free Member

3 solo loops this year varying various sections to the east and the main westward return. Do it clockwise!

Did not see any 4x4s. Great non-technical away from it all ride.

Would be very wary of road conditions at the moment as it does use some tarmac (ice).

Llandegla is closed due to snow/ice. A local may have more confidence in the conditions.

Paul

Southlakes
    Free Member

I have move everything about the wayfarer on the South Lakes Group website to this link

Speshpaul

Just in case you fancy a trip out next week…

“The annual Dairi-Pak Mountain Bike Challenge will take place on Saturday 7 May 2011. This is your opportunity to experience the stunning scenery of the Berwyn mountains by attemting the 20 mile, off-road, mountain bike challenge. There is also a gentler challenge for families.

The main beneficiaries from the event will be Wales and Midlands Air Ambulances together with other Rotary charities.

Full details from Jonathan at jonathan.jones5@virgin.net.

A great event, really well put together, they like everyone to raise at least £25. Last year was wet and windy and one of the hardest i’ve gone. If this weather holds it should be fast. ( if you want to race you are timed;-)

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Berwyn Mountians: The Wayfarer Loop anyone ridden it?’ is closed to new replies.