Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Berwick Upon Tweed?
  • RestlessNative
    Free Member

What's it like? Anyone here live there or thereabouts?

Just trying to decide exactly where we are moving to at the end of December when we return to the UK. From the South originally but planning to head somewhere near the Borders, to be honest can't afford to go back to the South.

Anyway, are all the people lovely? I know the Cheviots are nice and close.

BigDummy
    Free Member

I greatly enjoy the tale that Berwick was at war with Russia continuously from 1853 to to 1966. 🙂

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Didn't Russia surrender?

Dobbo

Well it's got one good pub.

RestlessNative
    Free Member

So if I aint Russian it'll be good yeah?

geoffj

As a town it's not great – think run down market town. There is, however, easy access to Embra, Newcastle and the Borders from there so its not all bad.

trailmoggy
    Free Member

wifes brother runs a hotel there

it can be a bit rough especially at night and theres a few scallies knocking about probly from the large council estate down the road

some cracking pubs open during the day, really friendly

trailmoggy
    Free Member

oh and your not that far from Glentress, it always try and nip across when up there visiting

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Its a fair bit to Glentress, must be more than an hour each way. My memories of Berwick are of it always being windy and cold with the usual sh1te High St shops which I'd imagine are mostly charity shops now. My better half lived there about ten years ago and hated it but that was mostly due to a dodgy Landlord. What about Peebles or Inners? Bit more expensive than Berwick though.

Sven

I lived there for a few years… I may be 'biased' as I am German but I heard from multiple people that Berwick was at war with Germany from the 2nd WW onwords up to the early 80s. Anyway, it's got some stunning architecture and huge, beautiful townwalls, a fantastic beach and gorgeous coastline. On the downside, there are indeed too many chavas due to the two council estates, lots of charity shops, rather depressive high street shops, and for some reason every other shop seems to be a hairdesser!!!
    But there are a few nice cafes and pubs… Cyclingwise, there are good coutry lanes for road riding, Glentress is quite a drive away too be honest, but the Cheviots accessed from Wooler or Kirk Yetholm are close and are great for MTBing. And house prices are cheap! Would not be my first choice but I would go back..
    My first try in posting images, that's me flying a kite in stormy weather…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Berwick Upon Tweed?’ is closed to new replies.