Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Being tall
  • rootes1

Looking for a xl 29er full sus..

Like the look of the Giant Anthem 29-1 but not possible to get the demo 22″ until end of may..

Doesn’t seem to be XL spearfishes around – went to a demo last year but only had an 18″..

Evans now have Rocky Mountain 950 in stock, but not sure you could do a proper demo on it…

anyone know of any shop demo fleets that have garden gate size bikes?

don’t really want to buy without trying

IA

Tis ever the problem, sadly 🙁

forzafkawi
    Free Member

I demoe’d an XL SC Tallboy last year that the shop in Peaslake, Surrey arranged for me via Santa Cruz. It cost £50 for the day.

Home

I really don’t understand why manufacturers push 29ers as being beneficial for taller riders and then don’t have any test bikes in the larger sizes.

rootes1

Peaslake is local to me.. looks like one option though Tallboy (even alu one) is bit over budget..

wwaswas

talk with Evans – I think they’re pretty good about demo bikes.

giantonagiant

Not sure where you are, but give KMB (Keswick) a call.

The manager up there is quite a tall chap and often has 2 or 3 demo bikes in XL. I think they had a couple of GF/Treks last year (HT and a FS 29ers, plus maybe a 26er or two).

GaryLake
    Free Member

Cause the manufacturers aren’t really pushing them for tall people actually, can’t think of any literature I’ve read that has said that either. Both Santa Cruz and Trek actually photograph the Mediums/17-ish” frames from what I can tell.

wwaswas

Both Santa Cruz and Trek actually photograph the Mediums/17-ish

It’s ‘cos they look less gate like in smaller sizes rather than them being aimed at the less tall.

ferrit32
    Free Member

I concur with wwaswas large and xtra large frames just look odd, small medium frames (even 29ers) are more photogenic in my opinion.

brakes
    Free Member

manufacturers aren’t really pushing them for tall people

that would be heightist

Toasty

Speaking of Anthem X 29ers and heightism. If you want the 22″ Anthem X 29er, you have to buy the 1 model, the cheaper 2 version is only available in 20″ max. I actually mailed them as I assumed it was a typo, they promptly replied asking what the weather was like up here, and whether I could help change their lightbulbs.

Given I already had a decent set of wheels, the 1 seemed like a rip off. The Evo forks on it are this years brand new budget line, I’d just as happily have the Rebas. The groupset isn’t vastly different, and the Monarch/RP2 could go either way. Just £500 tall tax being added on!

GaryLake
    Free Member

I’m just challenging the notion that manufacturers are pushing them as something for tall people and then not supplying XL demo bikes. I can’t think of a single manufacturer actively stating that they’re a solution for tall people is all.

bigjim

I still don’t get the 29er if you are tall thing. Is it purely based on aesthetics, on the premise that a 5’10” person on a 26er is how it ‘should’ look or something?

bol

No, I don’t think it is Jim. I was in agreement with you until I tried one. I’ve always felt like I was teetering on the top of 26ers, I now feel much more in control and better balanced. A skills compensator perhaps, but definitely a benefit to someone tall.

bigjim

Hmm, I just got a large Yeti ASR5 and compared to my old Trance it feels the way you describe the 29er, as it is so long in comparison!

Toasty

I still don’t get the 29er if you are tall thing. Is it purely based on aesthetics, on the premise that a 5’10” person on a 26er is how it ‘should’ look or something?

Certainly not only a tall thing, it makes sense though surely?

Taller rider, longer wheelbase, higher front end, same size wheels? Most companies go as far as giving bigger models longer stems, bigger rotors, Spesh even do bigger grips, wider saddle, 170mm cranks on smaller bikes etc.

olddog

Specialized concept in Harrogate have a XL 29er camber (carbon expert) on demo. I’d guess they will ship to any of their concept stores.

Incidently, I’ve been riding a 29er HT ( GF paragon) for 3 years and just invested in a 26 trail bike. I demoed the 29 Camber but, although it is a really good bike, it wasn’t different enough from my 29 HT to warrant the purchase. I will post thoughts when I’ve been out on my new bikes a few more times over a variety of terain.

I am keeping both 29 er Ht and full suss 26, but focus 29 for XC as opposed to the multitool I used it for before, eg trail centres, all day XC, tour de mount blanc, coast to coast road trips etc.

BTW I’m 6 ‘3″

rootes1

Speaking of Anthem X 29ers and heightism. If you want the 22″ Anthem X 29er, you have to buy the 1 model, the cheaper 2 version is only available in 20″ max. I actually mailed them as I assumed it was a typo, they promptly replied asking what the weather was like up here, and whether I could help change their lightbulbs.

Given I already had a decent set of wheels, the 1 seemed like a rip off. The Evo forks on it are this years brand new budget line, I’d just as happily have the Rebas. The groupset isn’t vastly different, and the Monarch/RP2 could go either way. Just £500 tall tax being added on!

yer saw was just the 1 – spec seems a bit crap… when compared to the Rocky Mountain especially as Evans has 10% off..

still like the look of a spearfish.. triton still have the old one for £899 frame only..

http://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/m4b104s251p8464/SALSA_Spearfish_Frame

but the new anodized maxle axle one looks nice as well

ps i’m 6’6″

rootes1

^ ta for the demo tip offs, might have to do a bit of travelling

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Being tall’ is closed to new replies.