Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 91 total)
  • Being Married to a Non-Brit
  • monksie
    Free Member

I don’t get how Mugsys mate is having it off with Mrs Mugsy. Isn’t Mugsy bothered that his mate has got very familiar?

mugsys_m8

MrsMugsy – Member
    mugsys_m8 can’t think of anything he does…. well he pretends to be his stuffed monkey (which he keeps in his undy drawer) and talks from the stuffed monkey’s point of view.

I’ve threatened if with ‘oxfam’ or ‘rags’ but the look of hurt on his face everytime….

Might give you a clue! 😳

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

What I can’t live with is her complete hatred of all British comedy. She called Monty Python “70’s rubbish” and just last night said Blackadder was “for old people”. Its grounds for divorce…..

We have Spanish TV in the house. If you’ve even seen that Fast Show Channel 9 entertainment show spoof where the host is dressed as a sailor, Paul Whitehouse comes on a comedy painter and decorator saying “slippy slop” over and over to rapturous applause… that is Spanish tv.

😀

Efefefefefe, Pefefefefefe Chris Waddle!

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dzjLQ9t_yw&feature=related[/video]

Disco baby sexy baby HOT!

😆

chewkw
    Free Member

My ex thought British are pen pushers.

I advised her to duplicate her statement to remind me and BCC to all her friends.

molgrips
    Free Member

From Mrs Grips:

1) the weather in spring. She was baffled that it could be raining then sunny again within a few minutes; even more amazed that it could be both raining and sunny AT THE SAME TIME

2) it took her forever to remember that shops close at six and close at four on Sundays.

3) it took about three years for her to stop saying ‘dollars’ when she meant pounds.

4) she thinks we’re very whiny and negative, which I didn’t realise but she’s quite right. Everyone in the US (where she’s from) is a lot more cheery and positive all the time. Quite refreshing there. I now get very annoyed with people who are pathalogically miserable all the time and never say anything nice – of whom there are quite a few.

5) Driving – she had a year’s grace on her US license, which led to some interesting moments. Roads are very very narrow here apparently 🙂 And there were a few hairy moments at roundabouts. “Go straight on here” “What?” “Go straight on!” “I CAN’T GO STRAIGHT ON!” “Why not?” “Cos there’s a roundabout there!”

6) She’s thoroughly disapopinted with not being able to get decent crafting supplies or weaving equippment.

ratadog

She’s thoroughly disapointed with not being able to get decent crafting supplies or weaving equipment.

Mrs Ratadog, a Kiwi, heartily endorses this and says that she appears to be marooned in the only country in the world where “wool” is not as far as she can tell a natural product produced by sheep.

This is also related to her view of the climate as she feels this is a country where the wearing of wool is essential on at least 365 days of the year in order to be slightly comfortable.

The marmite is also a pale imitation of the original, the beer is crap – although supplies of decent stuff are available from a small number of enlightened businesses catering to the marooned market – and as for the lamb well don’t get me, or her, started.

samuri
    Free Member

It’s a nightmare. I have had to explain what a normal suit is, what dental health involves, we’ve had many discussions about ‘jobs’ but she’s just not getting it and while it’s not really my forte, ‘fashion’ is something I’ve had to bring her up to speed on more than once.

Still, it’s my own fault for marrying a scouser.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

😀
    very good samuri, do you do bookings?

stewartc
    Free Member

MrsC is Cantonese and just can’t get her head around the humour despite having good English skills, I think British humour just does not translate sometimes?

grum
    Free Member

Proper made me giggle, that.

“Why’ve you thrown these out?”

“Well obviously, the composition is all wrong, he’s gone outside the lines, he’s spelt ‘mummy’ with one ‘m’, and the logos on the tyres are misaligned. I just don’t know where we went wrong with him.”

“Ding Ding! Here comes the shit-mobile. I’ve never seen a fire truck that needed to be shaved. I would rather be burned to death than be saved by this hairy piece of shit. F”

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=irule2

The marmite is also a pale imitation of the original, the beer is crap

Ummm…. British Marmite is the original and crap beer!?

globalti
    Free Member

My brother is married to an American, she’s half Lebanese and half native American and as mad as a box of frogs. Last year he brought her and her brother Stan over for a holiday. Stan insisted on sharing a room with them – this is true. They were so frightened by our roads that they flinched every time a car went past and kept asking if they could go back to Michigan early. It was not a successful holiday.

Pigface
    Free Member

Mrs Face of a pig is Swedish and finds somethings really funny, when seeing a pub called Ye Olde Cocke she giggled for hours. Thinks that curry is very overated, cant get a handle on driving over here and thinks we all go way to fast.

The weirdist thing is her love of UK houses even hideous estates send her into raptures of how cute they look, it is all about being built out of stone.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Mrs Tee will shortly be marring a Saffa..

I find her love of Wigan RLFC a bit odd, but other than that..

🙂

ratadog

British Marmite is the original and crap beer!

Depends on your viewpoint. Mrs R much prefers the NZ Marmite which is prepared from the waste products of the brewing industry and from her point of view is the one she was brought up on. Mrs R isn’t averse to the occasional Black Sheep ( its the wool thing again ) but would prefer a Black Mac given the slightest opportunity.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

FTFY

proved the point exactly wrecker, well done that man.

grantway
    Free Member

We have Spanish TV in the house. If you’ve even seen that Fast Show Channel 9 entertainment show

Na but have seen Night rider in translated Spanish which was rather funny
    Just found this on YouTube LOLOLOL

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1O6CfRwdN4[/video]

wrecker
    Free Member

You’re welcome gav. Easy mistake to make.

donsimon
    Free Member

That’s a South American version, no?
    Muy funny.

ebygomm
    Free Member

Mrs R much prefers the NZ Marmite which is prepared from the waste products of the brewing industry

What do you think original (UK) marmite is made from??

ratadog

What do you think original (UK) marmite is made from??

Apologies, I should have said their brewing industry and hoped you picked up the reference to the comment on black sheep/black mac.

Frankly, I don’t care what Marmite is a by product from on either side of the world as to me it all tastes vile BUT the NZ Marmite, even to me, tastes differently vile and has a different consistency etc. It’s closer to Vegimite, also vile. Please note the OP started this thread by saying

What did other peoples better halves think of our English-isms?

and I answered his question. For the record, both myself and my other half are, however, united in our amusement at the response of the STW branch of the Marmite (UK) Appreciation Society, although I still struggle to understand how it being

original (UK)

makes up for it being vile and I, personally, would be happy to let almost anyone else take the credit for it.

canibearaindogtoo
    Free Member

Boozing. My missus is Spanish (Catalana, sorry…) and she thinks all brits are raging alchoholics. She could have a point…

cheers_drive

The future Mrs CD is Danish and has been here 12 years so is mostly aclimatised to the British ways but still corrects anyone who says Europe when they actually mean continental Europe. She also constantly reminds me of how good the holidays and general health and social care is in Denmark and how we in Britain don’t look after people. She has a point.
    If Latin other halves think that the Brits are too organised they should try living with a Scandinavian.

Edited to make slightly more sense

mogrim

Mrs. mogrim is Spanish, and she’s as completely useless and chaotic as I am. Just polished off a bottle of rioja together, so not much better on that front either.

GW
    Free Member

cheers_drive – Could you ask her to organise the sentences in your posts to make sense?

Pigface
    Free Member

How about what your other halves from foreign climes think is delicious.

Mine thinks that sour milk on what I can only describe as sawdust is the ideal breakfast 😯 and the propensity to binge on salt liquorice that tastes like what I imagine gnome snot to taste like 🙁

GW
    Free Member

If only they all had “the propensity to binge on salt liquorice that tastes like what I imagine gnome snot to taste like” 😉

crikey
    Free Member

Surely the best part is hearing them say vaguely rude things in a not-from-just-down-the-road voice?

RichPenny
    Free Member

My wife is Polish. This elevates the inedible food angle to new heights. The raison d’etre of Polish cuisine appears to involve the creation of food that looks like it’s been regurgitated but tastes normal!

DrJ

Mrs Face of a pig is Swedish and finds somethings really funny, when seeing a pub called Ye Olde Cocke she giggled for hours.

This from a person from the land that has toilet paper called KRAPP ??

Anyway, the second, and current, Mrs J is Greek, as was, by some strange coincidence, the first Mrs J, so I am in no position to be acting superior!!

grum
    Free Member

For the record, both myself and my other half are, however, united in our amusement at the response of the STW branch of the Marmite (UK) Appreciation Society

I was just correcting your (or your wife’s) factual inaccuracy of claiming that the NZ Marmite was the original.

The marmite is also a pale imitation of the original

ratadog

I was just correcting your (or your wife’s) factual inaccuracy of claiming that the NZ Marmite was the original.

I think you have missed the point.

I know how the good Captain feels.

ratadog

By the way, according to Wikipedia, and UK Marmite’s own website, the product that would become Marmite was actually first seen by a Dutchman, Antonie van Leeuwenhoek AKA the father of Microbiology, first identified as a yeast by a Frenchman, Louis Pasteur, and first concentrated into a foodstuff by a German, Justus Liebig.

It’s European?

grum
    Free Member

I think you have missed the point.

Another way of saying ‘I was wrong but don’t want to admit it’. 🙂

By the way, according to Wikipedia, and UK Marmite’s own website, the product that would become Marmite was actually first seen by a Dutchman, Antonie van Leeuwenhoek AKA the father of Microbiology, first identified as a yeast by a Frenchman, Louis Pasteur, and first concentrated into a foodstuff by a German, Justus Liebig.

Where’s the bit where it mentions New Zealand? 😉

druidh
    Free Member

Surely ratadog was making that comic somewhat ironically – i.e. I don’t think he’s suggesting British beer is crap either, but it’s what his Mrs thinks. That’s what made the post funny.

ratadog

Another way of saying ‘I was wrong but don’t want to admit it’.

No, No, No, NO

Surely ratadog was making that comment somewhat ironically – i.e. I don’t think he’s suggesting British beer is crap either, but it’s what his Mrs thinks.

YES

That’s what made the post funny.

You are too kind.

Travis

Mrs T, thinks that we drink too much, and that all beer tastes the same (she even thinks lager and beer is the same pffttt
    Can’t understands our need to being prompt and punctual to everything.

What she does love, is the general courtesy the British have (opening doors, cars stopping to let her cross the road with pram etc)
    And Cider and Perry.
    She also thinks that British fathers (although, can only compare by observation) are more family orientated than men from other countries.

BruceWee

If you think that the brits don’t say what they’re really thinking then you should try scandinavia. nobody ever says what they really think for fear of causing some sort of conflict.
    conflict must be avoided at all costs (hence the high suicide and divorce rate if you ask me!)

Get them drunk or put them behind the wheel and that changes I reckon.

joao3v16
    Free Member

My wife still doesn’t understand most shops not opening until 8 or 9 am, and closing at 5/6pm … this would class as being massively lazy in Brazil 🙂

She’s quickly got the impression that workers in the UK will take any opporunity or use any excuse to do as little work as possible.

And ‘customer servce’. It’s terrible here. Apparently.

Having spent some time in Brazil, I’m inclined to agree to a certain extent.

molgrips
    Free Member

She also thinks that British fathers (although, can only compare by observation) are more family orientated than men from other countries

Mrs Grips also makes the same observation. I was on a train the other day and there was an American family who looked very Mid Western. The mother entertained the kid full time for the whole two hour trip, and the dad sat with his iPad. I thought perhaps he was working but no, he was watching movies, playing games and all. Mrs Grips said that’s perfectly normal. Her sisters have commented on how nice it is to see dads playing with kids, looking after them, looking after them solo during the day and so on.

hels
    Free Member

I think the Marmite argument is a bit like Rugby – Brits might have invented it, but we made it better…

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 91 total)

The topic ‘Being Married to a Non-Brit’ is closed to new replies.