Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Before I part with my cash…
  • JonBurns
    Free Member

Could someone check my reasoning.

I’m about to buy some new wheels and narrowed it down to 2 sets;

Hope Pro 2 with Stans 355
    Hope Pro 3 with Stans 355

I found a place that sells the pro3’s for only £60 more than the pro2’s which if they’re the right wheel I’d definately pay the extra as they look ace.

I’m basically riding about once or more a week in either the peaks, north wales or on the Monday eve jaunt round delamere. I’m about 70kgs but I wouldn’t say I’m amazingly skilled and so do take questionable lines now and again, plus the odd jump here and there (not massive though). Oh and they’ll be going on my only MTB (full suss, Felt Virtue2).

I’ve basically decided to go for the pro2’s as I’m thinking hey’ll be a little more robust for my riding style, bit more fit and forget and still be an improvement over my current deore/X117 wheelset.

I’d love to have the pro3’s as they look ace but at the same time I’d be a bit worried about mis-treating them and needing re-truing, further expense or worse.

Just canvasing opinions really. Thanks y’all!

RealMan
    Free Member

I was in your exact position as well, and I went for hope pro II. Its not a lot of weight, and theyre much stronger. Fit and forget.

I got them from wheelpro.co.uk. Great service and advice there.

IA

Without wanting to open that can of worms… be aware of the alu freehub issue.

Or to put it differently, don’t put a heavy all-steel deore cassette on your nice light expensive new wheels!

richc
    Free Member

Also its worth bearing in mind that the Pro 3 can’t use a 20mm axle if you go that way in the future.

zeus
    Free Member

I got the Pro2s stock standard on my Marin Attack Trail and have battered them through a lot of xc, dh and north shore riding and they seem impressively bomb-proof so far. The back hub is annoyingly loud though – handy for letting those in front know you’re there, but not handy if you like peace and quiet on the trail.

Cheers

—————–
    Live fast, take chances!
    http://www.iRideAfrica.com

RealMan
    Free Member

Also its worth bearing in mind that the Pro 3 can’t use a 20mm axle if you go that way in the future.

Im about 98% sure it can.

The back hub is annoyingly loud though – handy for letting those in front know you’re there, but not handy if you like peace and quiet on the trail.

I love the noise – it reminds me that I’ve stopped pedalling and should be going faster.

richc
    Free Member

Pro 3 SP XC’s on 355’s (if you are looking at the Factory build) can’t, Hope Pro 3 AM 4 on Flows can.

According to Hope anyway.

http://www.hopegb.com/voir_whspxc3.html

http://www.hopegb.com/voir_whspam4.html

IA

Oh, and pro2s are plenty strong, I (and many, many others) run them on DH bikes.

epicyclo

In Scotland, the noise of the Hope hub is a reminder to get busy again before the midges do.

JonBurns
    Free Member

Nice one, sounds like I'm making the right choice as no one has even suggested the pro3's.

Thanks chaps, any reccomendations for Superstar rotors vibe or wavey?

garethh
    Free Member

New wheels sound good Jon, but what colour is the important question?

Don't forget to sponsor me if you can, currently got meningitis (less serious kind) so hoping to recover in time for the ride CLICKY

Gilesey
    Free Member

Hold it!

I've been riding the factory pro3 wheelset with DTSwiss 4.2 rims for the last year, despite plenty miles of my clumsy 85kg on a hardtail they're still good as the day I fitted them!

so +1 for the pro3's – and you won't have that nagging 'following the STW herd' feeling…

Marmoset
    Free Member

I was considering them but I've just gone and ordered some A2Z hubs on some 717's from Adam at Homers. The A2Zs are a bit lighter than the Hope's so I think I'm going to knock about 500g off the weight of the current wheelset!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Before I part with my cash…’ is closed to new replies.