Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Beefing up Shed security
  • Monster101

Hi folks,

Just upgrading shed security, replaced padlock with better padlock, kept existing coach bolted hasp as they didn’t let through that the last time but upgraded hinges to heavy duty ones with coach bolts and screws. 6ft garden gate now bolted and padlocked.

Me being a numpty did not consider they would just get through the shit hinges and several thousands of pounds worth of gear stolen!

Replacement bikes currently living in the house but other half not happy! Other than kicking her out what other measures would you take,

Shed Alarm? Any recommendations?
    Spybike gps tracker? Waste of money?

I already have a cheap ground anchor bolted to the wooden floor and a 3meter cable to go round all my bikes and a decent padlock. I cannot move the shed to get a full monty ground anchor put in!

Anything else?

Thinking of a remote controlled shed alarm with the sounder in the house! Experiences of what has worked or hasn’t much appreciated as worried about being targeted and replacement bikes stolen

Thanks

Alan

chojin
    Free Member

To be honest, good shed security is very much down to where you live – take some pics of how it looks now, post on here and I can tell you.
    Also, what’s your address?

gusamc
    Free Member

Used to know people who chicken mesh lined them to stop them being kicked in

Have you got a PIR light on the shed

Monster101

Yes pir light on shed!

Basic garden shed oversized hinges and chunky hasp padlock all coach bolted, prefer not to give my address 😯

chojin
    Free Member

Remote PIR alarms are useful, mine has twice thwarted the scallies, so quite happy about that.

nealy
    Free Member
    Monster101

Hi chojin,

Was the sounder in the shed or in the house? What model, brand do you have and is the battery life as pish as everyone makes out?

Alan

argoose
    Free Member

Should it not be “Horsing up shed security” ? 🙄
    IGMC

Monster101

Lol 😀

Stoner
    Free Member

Should it not be “Horsing up shed security” ?

dammit. beaten to it.

I was going to say if he wanted to beef up his shed security he really needed a stable….

stufield
    Free Member

Shed Shackle are good and more secure than shed floor mounted anchor (i’d imagine)
    PIR Light with built in video camera to help catch the buggers
    smart water on bikes to recover them or parts

sign on door “warning poisonous snakes breeding”

iamconfusedagain
    Free Member

I tried a wireless yale alarm with the sounder near to the house but the radio signal was not up to the job. If you are closer to the shed you might have more luck.
    Personally I have a garage alarm with 2 dueltech sensors, hardwired to the house alarm, so the whole bloody thing goes off and gives me a call too. I also have the best chain/ground anchor from almax. Also I have a hidden space for my best kit. Oh and a pir light outside the garage. And the windows are boarded up. Oh and another alarm if we are away for long periods

Half the trick is to avoid anyone knowing what you have got, as they will always get it if they want it. I take one bike out at a time and wash them up the top of the garden out of the way.

iamconfusedagain
    Free Member

Oh sorry for a slight hijack but does anyone know a cheapish and effective cctv thing I can have in the garage?

singlespeedstu

I’d also like some recomendations for a shed alarm please.

br
    Free Member

Making it harder for them to get in the garden would be a good start.

Monster101

Agree about getting into the garden, my gate was just bolted and they walked right out with them after physically carrying the wheely bins out onto the drive! Now bolted and padlocked shut!

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

I keep the bikes in the house & remove wheels,saddle & pedals so if anyone gets them they’ll have to build them up if they’re planning riding away.
    I got my shed broken into 2 years ago.I keep my motorbikes in it,fortunatley they only robbed my spanners.I then went to maplins & bought a cheap battery operated alarm, it’s still working 2 years later.Dont forget if you beef up the locks & hinges they’ll just go in through the roof

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Never going to be that secure. The best ways I would have thought would be to put the shed on a thick concrete base and use a ground anchor to shackle the bike to.

skeetsgb
    Free Member

with regards security, its best to have several layers instead of just 1 or two, so it takes time for them to get to your bikes.think about how would they get into your garden and work from there.
    it sounds like your ground anchor is a waste of time, if its just on a wooden floor. 2 mins that will be up. if you can, make a hole and fill that with concrete in the floor, or if you cant why dont you get a big bucket/barrel and fill that with concrete and put your anchor in that ( ive seen car tyres filled with it also)
    also no good having a good anchor point if your chains are a waste of time. almax chains are superb.
    http://www.almax-security-chains.co.uk/

not cheap but so arnt your bikes 😉

JRTG
    Free Member

Or just make your shed so messy and a death trap anyone trying to get will cut themselves, get tetanus and die.

Gary_C

On another thread on here I posted about these alarms that fire a 12 bore blank shotgun cartridge when tripped.

CLICKY

A VERY loud bang should make the scrotes shit themselves when they are breaking into your shed at 3 am. 😈

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Beefing up Shed security’ is closed to new replies.