Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Beautiful Berwyns
  • clarkpm4242
    Free Member

A magical 32 miles and 4800ft on a Friday afternoon.

Mainly this NWMBA route. Ignore incorrect distance! It is a big ride…

Flickr Slideshow

No other MTBers. A classic. Not technical but a great mountain ride!!

Recommended.

Cheers
    Paul

singlespeedstu

Looks great.

Shame they stopped running the Flintshire Challenge round there. Was a great event.

Did you put your name in the Wayfarers book?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Lovely

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ollie
    Free Member

The Berwyns and the Clwyds are ace, There's so much great riding in the area with amazing views.
    And It's all on my doorstep. 8)

cinnamon_girl

Beautiful pics there, brought back memories for me. Think The Wayfarer was my first solo "big ride" and seems a long time ago now!

Must get back there.

Rorschach
    Free Member

clarkpm4242-I was about half an hour behind you!!The two walkers going up Bwlch maen gwynedd told me someone else had passed them.Thought I might catch a glimpse of you on the wayfarers.Its basically my back yard.It never ceases to amaze me how few people I ever see there….thank god!Its all rubbish anyhoo 😉

hitman
    Free Member

great part of the world 🙂

andybach
    Free Member

Great pics – one of my favourite parts of Wales and always really quiet.
    I used to work all round there – used to love eating my lunch sat looking at the view…………………

clarkpm4242
    Free Member

Hi All

A great area indeed! Started at Llandrillo and went eastwards over the Wayfarer. The return leg via Bwlch Maen Gwynedd was a bit of a slog!!

Hope to meet ANO MTBer next time!

Cheers
    Paul

nasher
    Free Member

Will be going back home to Llandrillo in august and hopefully it will be nice and dry, heading over to pistyll rhaeadr and llangunog… ace proper old skool mtb ride

Rorschach
    Free Member

That would explain how come I never saw you-I started from Llangollen!!I did'nt get back till nearly 9,it was freezing (could'nt be arsed stopping to put my arm warmers on!). 😆
    Just mapping out a 100mile berwyns/ceriog monster (maybe 2 dayer-maybe not!)

lowey

Brilliant. That route card nearly caught me out last year!

clarkpm4242
    Free Member

Hi Rorschah or ANO Berwyn MTBer who may be able to answer this..!

Looking at various options of riding to and from the Llangollen Valley.

Do you know how these bridleways are as descents??

Cheers Paul

One

Two

Three

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Nice one- you had perfect weather and nice dry trails. Photos brought back memories especially the one from the top of the Wayfarer. I used to live about 45 min away from the Berwyns. Must get out of S England soon and back to the NW.

spandex_bob

Just got in from doing the wayfarer loop, all dry and dusty trails apart from the the bog by the sheep pen above Llanraeder. Great riding, a couple of tactical snoozes when out of the wind, not many people and only two other bicyclists. First time in the area (if you discount the abortive attempt on the same route in the jan snows), definately worth some more exploring. Looks more weather-proof than the clywds?

ollie
    Free Member

clarkpm4242

one: Isn't a bad descent at all, rode it for the first time a couple of weeks back and it's ok, couple of gates, but neither techy or steep just pleasant.
    Two: Isn't really a descent and is just a trip across a field after a short sharp climb.
    Three: If you even find this bridleway you're doing better than me, It just isn't there.

phiiiiil

apart from the the bog by the sheep pen above Llanraeder

I remember that bit from when I did it last year – it felt like I was just wading through an overgrown garden pond… 🙂

'Tis a brilliant ride. I particularly liked the descent heading north towards Llandrillo; super fast!

Pembo
    Free Member

We spent about 15 minutes trying to navigate the bog and still ended up with wet feet, what's the best line?

Started in Llanarmon DC which meant we had Wayfarer as the final descent, but the climb up nearly did for me after forgetting my camelbak and stopping at every village spar to load up on water and capri suns!

That road climb out of Llangynog is a bit of a slog but overall a fantastic ride, looking forward to doing it again this summer.

neilb67
    Free Member

Did the Wayfarer last week starting from Llandrillo. As for the route across the bog, I hugged the wire fench as I approached the metal gate then scrambled up the little bank on the left straight after the gate, over the fence and headed for the higher ground on the left. Still boggy but not as bad as down below.

Agreed about the road climb. Is there another option to get back to Llandrillo?

phiiiiil

Instead of the road climb go along the road at the bottom of the valley; it's a nice easy, quiet road and saves most of the climbing for the end after going off-road. If I remember rightly it is rideable (just!) but it's not very far to push as you've done most of the horizontal distance by then.

nasher
    Free Member

Yep as Phiiiil said, a much better run up the valley.

Pembo
    Free Member

Cheers for that, it does look better on google earth. Here's me approaching the bog!

clarkpm4242
    Free Member

Hi

I took the route eastwards over Bwlch Maen Gwynedd to Llandrillo as I thought it would be dry after this long dry spell we've been having. It was!

Have done a ride taking in 'the bog' previously, it must never dry out!

Cheers Paul

phiiiiil

This is near the top off the off-road route up the valley; the road is on the hillside on the left.

It's rather steep at the top, but meh, it's more fun than the road!

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Beautiful Berwyns’ is closed to new replies.