Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Bearing removal from pro 2 freehub
  • slowrider
    Free Member

I’ve got my hub in bits and need to get the bearings out of the freehub. Hope vid says ‘just drift it out’ but in which direction? Do all the bearings come out one end or do I need a special tool or owt? Ta!

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

here’s a clue, the bearings are bigger than the hole at the inboard end…

tools = hammer, drift, circlip pliers

slowrider
    Free Member

Cheers simon, I had gathered the outboard bearing came out that way but wasn’t sure about the other two. What do i need the circlip pliers for?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

What do i need the circlip pliers for?

well, on the earlier freehubs a circlip holds the inner bearing in place, so I imagine it may be the same for the Pro II

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

you dont need pliers for the pro 2…just use something like a socket to knock the bearings out

Rubber_Buccaneer

Many years ago I spent a little too long beating the crap out of a hope freehub trying to remove the two bearings. Then I realised there was a circlip involved. I’m guessing the circlip is between them somewhere but don’t remember. You may wish to take a look at yours.

The hubs are still working now btw.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Heat the hub in hot water – it makes it much easier

bigyinn
    Free Member

Never ceases to amaze me that people take (or attempt to take) things apart without looking up how to do it first, and more importantly put them back together.
    With internet access everywhere now, its unforgiveable!

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

there’s no circlip in any pro2 hubs – front or rear

foxyrider
    Free Member

well, on the earlier freehubs a circlip holds the inner bearing in place, so I imagine it may be the same for the Pro II

No thats for bulbs & XC etc; ProII’s do not have circlips!

The official method is here 🙂 well my interpretation:

http://www.cyclistno1.co.uk/features/maintenance/hope-pro-ii-rear-hub-service.htm

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

there is no freehub present in that photo ^^^

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

the freehub is 3 bearings with a metal sleeve in the middle, i think its an anti-crush washer type thing. it drops out when the bearings are out.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

the freehub is 3 bearings with a metal sleeve in the middle

which middle ?

Rubber_Buccaneer

both middles?

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

in between the 2 bearings that make up one end of the freehub, and the single bearing on its own – in the hub end of the free hub.

it goes; end cap – big bearing – metal sleeve – 2 smaller bearings – end cap

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

looking at the exploded diagram, it seems the Pro II’s inner bearings may come out on the inboard side!

http://www.hopetech.com/webtop/modules/_repository/documents/PROIIREARassy.PDF

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

knock the big bearing out (the most inboard one) first then get the sleeve out, then knock the other 2 bearings out together. you dont knock any bearings through the freehub body, is that what you mean simonf?

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

MrCrushrider – Member
    there’s no circlip in any pro2 hubs – front or rear

Slight highjack, but that’s not correct. I replaced the bearings in my Pro II front hub early this year and they do have circlips. There is no video on front hub bearing removal on the Hope site so I was hammering away until one pinged out

foxyrider
    Free Member

Please READ my article 1st before commenting sfb 😉

Not to be anal but the freehub should be called the freehub body – the freehub is actually the whole rear hub assembly!

OK for you here is another article photo 😉

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

well ive changed my bearings in both wheels several times and there definately isnt a circlip in mine! are you sure its a pro2?

foxyrider
    Free Member

Slight highjack, but that’s not correct. I replaced the bearings in my Pro II front hub early this year and they do have circlips. There is no video on front hub bearing removal on the Hope site so I was hammering away until one pinged out

Sorry captain but you obviously have the 20mm conversion kit which do have circlips but not on the freehub body assembly! Not the std QR version? and the circlips are for the spacers not the drive bearings no?

see 20mm kit:

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Sorry captain but you obviously have the 20mm conversion kit which do have circlips but not on the freehub body assembly! Not the std QR version? and the circlips are for the spacers not the drive bearings no?

foxyrider – exactly that. 20mm Maxle on the front. That was the annoying point about the Hope video. It only shows how to remove rear bearings so I assumed the front was the same. Couldn’t work out why the bearings would not come out, and there is nothing on the Hope site to suggest there are these circlips with the 20mm conversion

T666DOM

Those circlips are shown on the QR to 20mm conversion video on the Hope website, it is your friend when learning how to service hubs.

Brooker99
    Free Member

Foxy Rider – apologies for bringing this thread back to life.
    Can you point me in the right direction for alternative suppliers for alternative Pro2 bearings – and what size is needed?
    Many Thanks,

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Three are many bearing suppliers – on line and local shops. I use Forth Engineering myself. CRC have them as well. Make sure you get good branded ones

Are the specs for the bearings not on the hope site?

Google gave me Rear 6802 x 2, 6903 x 2 & 6902 x 1

foxyrider
    Free Member

As TJ said 🙂 I use simplybearings.co.uk and as TJ said get decent branded ones as from what people have said they do last longer. I generally buy the hope ones myself 🙂

Rear codes = H6802 2rs x2, 6903 2rs x2, 6902 2rs x1
    Front codes = 6804 2rs x2

For front service have a look here its even simpler:

http://www.cyclistno1.co.uk/features/maintenance/hope-pro-ii-front-hub-service.htm

z1ppy

Any bearing supplier, online or local, will have the bearings. If you buy a named make (SKF, FAG, not some no brand crap from china) I found them no cheaper than the kit you can get off CRC (et all) – though I don’t know what make of bearings you get from that kit. Bearing codes can be found on the Hope exploded diagram, or even look at kit on CRC, as it includes a list of the required bearings.

Edit: bugger, way too slow

foxyrider
    Free Member

IIRC the hope ones are SKF and Z1ppy is right you’ll only find then a few quid cheaper than the Hope pack and off CRC and the like you’ll get free postage.

Brooker99
    Free Member

Many thanks all.
    I’d looked at the exploded diagram too – obvoiusly not concentrating…

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Bearing removal from pro 2 freehub’ is closed to new replies.