Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • BBC Grammar quiz.
  • scholarsgate
    Free Member
    RustySpanner

Lower case g for grammar, surely. 😀

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

8 ok on use, poor on terminology!

scholarsgate
    Free Member

I failed miserably.

4/10

scaredypants

7 – in true stw fashion, I also disagreed with the siblings one AND the gerunt one (assuming we all got the same questions)

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

8 here. Hadn’t a clue what a “gerund” was 😳 and, yes, I also didn’t get the siblings one. That seems very subtle to be asking in an 11+ (if that’s the kind of question that gets asked).

EDIT: or should that be “…no, I didn’t get the the “siblings” one either.” 😕

bigyinn
    Free Member

4-7: Promising pedant (I got 6)

scaredypants

“gerund”

Oh, OK, so I didn’t read it properly either 😆 (I’m so stw)
    DD – I’ve resigned myself to the siblings one (though I still think it only really counts if they add “,who does” to the end)

andytherocketeer

8/10 – maths is far more interesting than words.

Everyone gets the siblings one wrong, even the grammar pedants, except for a few who make a lucky guess. Seen that 3 times so far, and the exact same discussion has arisen.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Oh and I only got the modifier one by elimination. Truthfully, I didn’t really know what the other two were. 🙂

cranberry
    Free Member

I thought that I would do reasonably well.

4/10 🙁

sharkbait
    Free Member

6/10 by guessing 🙁

MSP

7/10 one was a lucky guess, and 2 or 3 I knew which options sounded right, but couldn’t have told the reason why. I am really very bad at grammar.

ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

“I was sat in the chair”.

That really winds me up. Radio4 and BBC reporters do that all the time. 👿

molgrips
    Free Member

Some ambiguous stuff on there. The neighbours one – how are we to know if there’s more than one neighbour at that house? And the win against australia – it’s not clear what the sentence means at all.

technicallyinept
    Free Member

Oh dear (4/10)

WRONG! It’s misplaced modifier. This is a clause placed so awkwardly as to create ambiguity or misunderstanding. A dangling participle is a type of misplaced modifier involving a participle. Fallen subjunctive does not exist.

I have never heard these terms before. Pretty sure I wasn’t taught them.

andytherocketeer

The neighbours one – how are we to know if there’s more than one neighbour at that house?

The question refers to “the man” next door.

stever
    Free Member

That comma brother one is iffy – I demand a recount! Yes, I got 9/10 🙂

stealthcat

10/10, though the misplaced modifier was based on elimination…

njee20
    Free Member

I did an English Language A-Level and don’t remember the word ‘gerund’, got that one and the siblings one wrong!

Cougar

Nor me. Pointless question though, I don’t need to know what a grammatical feature is called in order to use it properly.

wwaswas

I got top mark’s.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Ditto. I thought I had a reasonable grasp of grammar but I really didn’t do well on that at all.

thepurist

I did an English Language A-Level and don’t remember the word ‘gerund’,

I only remembered ‘gerund’ from Latin, along with ‘gerundive’ which was quite obscure.

konabunny
    Free Member

The neighbours one – how are we to know if there’s more than one neighbour at that house?

There is nothing to indicate he is the only neighbour or only person who has that garden.

alpin
    Free Member

6/10… should of read the replies’ here first before i done the test. i would of scored much more point’s.

molgrips
    Free Member

Only one man lives in each of the houses either side of me. However none of them live on their own 🙂

captain-slow
    Free Member

7/10 and agree the test is carp.

wrecker
    Free Member

I, did rubbish. I dont’ care though; I hate punc’tuation,

nickc

8/10

Knew more than expected, gerund…? And guessed the queen and king one ( last question) and still no clearer after reading the answer.

Back to school Mr thickie…

globalti
    Free Member

9/10 here, that qualifies me to be a grammar pedant.

theflatboy
    Free Member

thepurist – Member

I only remembered ‘gerund’ from Latin, along with ‘gerundive’ which was quite obscure.

Tell that to Amanda.

chewkw
    Free Member

6/10 … hmmm … 😯

thecrookofdevon

7/10 but I was struggling all the way…Bit like Wiggo on the final climb today.

hilldodger
    Free Member

9/10, sibling fail 😕
    But at least I understood the meaning of all the words !!

nickjb
    Free Member

Knowing what words mean is vocabulary, not grammar, ain’t it? 7/10 including some guesses on the vocab questions

ononeorange

I’m not putting my score on as I am genuinely ashamed, however I did manage the brother / sister one without problems. In my defence. Take me down.

(Also the gerund one as Mrs O picked me up on a dodgy gerund-use a couple of weeks ago, so fresh in my mind).

corroded
    Free Member

8/10: may have to rethink my career as an editor. Or is it ‘might’?

thepurist

Tell that to Amanda.

Excellent work sir. That belongs here

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Two of us managed to score 9/10 and one scored 4/10 in our bit of the office. Fortunately, the 4/10 is the project manager not a writer!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘BBC Grammar quiz.’ is closed to new replies.