Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • BBC complaints/feedback email address help
  • gobuchul
    Free Member

I am currently overseas, not in the most developed country.

The internet is based on the mobile/3G system.

The new BBC website doesn’t work properly, most of the links take you back to the bbc.com homepage and only some take you to the actual page.

As I understand it, the new website detects if you are browsing with a tablet, phone, laptop etc. so I guess this is causing a problem as I am using a laptop across a mobile network.

As I can’t open the “contact us” page can anyone tell me what the email address?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

No even with my Fibre connection I can’t find one
    http://m.bbc.com/news/contact-us/product This page has a simple form for getting back to them.

Your browser won’t know what your connection is so it probably wont be that.If you are using something Like Hola it’s given me some issues in the past with redirecting to the home page.

gobuchul
    Free Member

mike – Thanks. But I switched Hola off. That link just takes me to the homepage.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

BBC Audience Services
    PO Box 1922
    Darlington
    DL3 0UR

spooky_b329

My browser knows when it’s connected/tethered to a smartphone 3g connection, it downloads lower quality images.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Using IE8 the images are best described as… …Wolfenstein. Yeah, that’s about the right fit.

“Optimised for modern browsers” = totally useless. Shows as what looks like a tablet or phone version.

maccruiskeen

“Dear Points of View,

I hate Points of View.

Yours etc etc

PS Why don’t you give Jeremy Vine the job on Top Gear”

welshfarmer

Online output – product error
    Please use the form below to submit your feedback.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/contact-us/product

Or take the survey and leave your gripes there. I have given up with the BBC website now after 15 years of use simply because they have removed the DAX ticker from the front page. It is about 10 clicks in to find out how that market is doing (the only one I have shares/funds in) so I am out. Such a simple thing but instead of 5 markets on the front page they now only show 4 and there is no way to change it. Plus the layout is optimised for tablet and loks gash on a widescreen PC.

https://ecustomeropinions.com/survey/survey.php?sid=264941693

Cougar

Before you go all “Mildly Dischuffed of Tunbridge Wells” at the BBC,

I don’t know about the beeb’s site specifically, but typically a web server will decide on whether or not to give you the mobile version of a page based on your browser’s ident string. Ie, you get the mobile site because you ask for it. (On my phone’s browser I have an option to request the full site instead.) I’ve never seen it done any other way, doing it based on IP would be… let’s say “unusual.”

I’d posit therefore that either it’s a setting in your browser that’s gone skewy, or your issue lies elsewhere. If it’s a new site, it could just be broken of course.

welshfarmer

The info on the BBC site says it no longer supports PC format. All code is written specifically for Tablet and mobile devices as that is where they now see their target readership. Plus it “works” on PC and is apparently (their words) cheaper to produce thus offering better VFM to the licence payer.

WackoAK
    Free Member

Link explaining why here

It looks rubbish on a PC now but I’m sure after a while I’ll not notice it.

dragon
    Free Member

Not only does it look rubbish but it harder to use. The top menus no longer fit on the whole screen and need extra drop downs. Since they redesigned the Sports site I’ve reduced my time looking at it, now news will go the same way. Guardian have also done similar things with their site. If this is the future of the internet then we are going backwards IMO.

welshfarmer

Yep, noticed the Guardian too.

Seems they are all at it. They can obviously save money by going down that route it would seem…..

http://www.farmersguardian.com/home/changes-afoot-at-farmersguardiancom/71251.article

gary

The info on the BBC site says it no longer supports PC format. All code is written specifically for Tablet and mobile devices

Actually, it says that they have one site, that renders differently according to whether you appear to be on a phone/tablet/whatever. Whether what they are now offering to a desktop browser is pleasant experience or not is another matter.

welshfarmer

Semantics 🙂

aP
    Free Member

The Guardian website now won’t load on my iPad properly… which kind of makes it all a bit pointless.

scotroutes

It’s hard to support all the niche browsers though.

wwaswas

Responsive is the new buzz word for web.

“Equally crap for everyone” seems to be how some organisations interpret it.

scuttler

Beeb do a lot of content management based on IP address (and associated geography) as well as browser and device type (so called user agent). The most obvious thing is non British-based audiences get adverts on bbc.co.uk as well as less emphasis on UK content and more on global stories.

IP addresses for mobile service providers as well as the proxy devices the service provider may use to streamline/filter/spy/optimise (depends on which country you’re in) may be either recognised by the beeb or disrupt what the beeb is providing so there’s a fair chance that the problem is specific to the service provider you’re using to access the site.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘BBC complaints/feedback email address help’ is closed to new replies.