Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Batteries and the cold
  • MrSalmon
    Free Member

My front light has some fairly new Energizer rechargeable AAs in it. Yesterday I left work, took it out of my bag, put it on the bike and rode 10 mins to Sainsbury’s- all working fine. Put it back in my bag, 10 mins in Sainsbury’s, then back out on the bike- straight away the light was really weak, and in a few mins it died completely. When I got home I put it back in my bag. Later that evening I noticed it was back on in my bag at full strength again.

Just wondering what was going on with the batteries- was it transitions between hot and cold that were making them play up? Anybody know about this sort of stuff?

EDIT Just realised what a long and boring post this is. Ah well.

Squidlord
    Free Member

Hmm – since it got cold, the battery in my phone has been dying really really quickly. Doesn’t seem to last long when I’m outside. Was wondering if it could be related to the temperature, as I seem to remember from somewhere that this affects battery performance.

ontor
    Free Member

cold slows down the reaction in the cell so less energy is available.

gdub923
    Free Member

All batteries suffer a loss of capacity in the cold and will severely reduce the life of them if exposed to the cold for long periods of time.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Batteries and the cold’ is closed to new replies.