Viewing 40 posts - 561 through 600 (of 771 total)
  • The church and homosexuality
  • singletracked
    Free Member

Heterosexuals can marry who they like,

No, they can’t.

singletracked
    Free Member

They can marry any person of the opposite sex (if the other consents, obviously)

miketually
    Free Member

It is also discrimination that heterosexuals can’t enter into a civil partnership with who they like, but homosexuals can.

MrsToast
    Free Member

Oh, this is an interesting point. Can it be discrimination if gays and straights have exactly the same rights about who they can marry?

miketually
    Free Member

Heterosexuals can marry any person who they would want to marry. Homesexuals cannot.

irelanst
    Free Member

There is no unique relationship between a ‘man’ and a ‘women’ for marriage to describe

Except at the moment there is;

My understanding is that one of the main hurdles in legalising same sex marriages is that the current legal ‘contract’ of marriage is sealed by consummation and under the current definition a same sex couple cannot perform the acts necessary for consummation.

So when the laws are changed to accommodate same sex marriages then the act of consummation will no longer be part of the contract. Some opponents to same sex marriages believe that this devalues the marriage of heterosexual couples and that by removing a historically significant aspect of the marriage contract the new ‘thing’ is no longer a marriage but something different, marriage MK2?

To some people I know the whole consummation thing was a big deal, they were married as virgins and the act of consummation was sealing the deal, to be fair they are deeply religious people and I would imagine them to be in an ever decreasing minority. To me it didn’t even cross my mind because neither of us are religious and we weren’t in the no sex before marriage camp.

singletracked
    Free Member

Heterosexuals can marry any person who they would want to marry.

1 What do mean by that? How can you say who they would want to marry?

MSP

Heterosexuals can marry any person who they would want to marry.

That’s not at all true, and I have the restraining order to prove it!

AdamW
    Free Member

My understanding is that one of the main hurdles in legalising same sex marriages is that the current legal contract of marriage is sealed by consummation and under the current definition a same sex couple cannot perform the acts necessary for consummation.

Not so:

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Consummation+of+marriage

D0NK

No, you have the same right to marry a woman as any other man.

I didn’t want to marry “a woman” I wanted marry the person I fell in love with*. Luckily I’m straight so I was allowed to do that. If I was gay I wouldn’t be allowed to marry the person I loved. A bit of wordplay is not going to get you out of the discrimination on grounds of sexuality hole religion is currently in.

*and who reciprocated obviously

miketually
    Free Member

1 What do mean by that? How can you say who they would want to marry?

Assuming consent, anyway.

Presumably, a straight man would only want to marry a woman? He is allowed to in law.
    Presumably, a straight woman would only want to marry a man? She is allowed to in law.
    Presumably, a gay man would only want to marry a man? He is not allowed to in law.
    Presumably, a gay woman would only want to marry a woman? She is not allowed to in law.

This isn’t complicated stuff.

zimbo
    Free Member

irelanst
    under the current definition a same sex couple cannot perform the acts necessary for consummation.

So what’s the definition? My dictionary says “sexual intercourse”.
    There’s no good reason for any of this anti-gay discrimination. It’s vulgar, anachronistic bigotry, full stop.

singletracked
    Free Member

Presumably, a straight man would only want to marry a woman? He is allowed to in law.
    Presumably, a straight woman would only want to marry a man? She is allowed to in law.
    Presumably, a gay man would only want to marry a man? He is not allowed to in law.
    Presumably, a gay woman would only want to marry a woman? She is not allowed to in law.

This isn’t complicated stuff.

Except that you have made 4 presumptions without any basis

Why would a straight man only want to marry a woman?

RustySpanner

You’re clutching at straws.

It’s a bit pathetic, to be honest.

GrahamS

My understanding is that one of the main hurdles in legalising same sex marriages is that the current legal ‘contract’ of marriage is sealed by consummation and under the current definition a same sex couple cannot perform the acts necessary for consummation.

I don’t remember reading that in the terms of my marriage contract?
    In fact I don’t recall ever reading a marriage contract at all.

Presumably this also excludes severely disabled people from getting married?
    And some elderly folk. And well, any folk who just don’t particularly want to consummate for whatever reason.

Grimy
    Free Member

There is no unique relationship between a ‘man’ and a ‘women’ for marriage to describe. This is because there is no such thing as a ‘man’ and a ‘woman’, everyone is different.

Bang on.

There are more differences between people of the same sex than there are between people of different sexes. To say otherwise is to define someone by their gender, rather than as an individual.

That makes no sense. Whilst its wrong to define someone by gender, it’s also the traits typical of a gender that you find attractive weather gay or straight. To suggest male and female are the same, is to suggest that sexual preference does or should not exist. We tend to be gay or straight because we endear the things that are unique in men or women. Your argument holds no water.

miketually
    Free Member

I’m the eldest of five:

I was allowed to marry the person I love.
    The older of my brothers was allowed to marry the person he loves.
    The older of my sisters was allowed to marry the person she loves.
    The younger of my sisters was not allowed to marry the person she loves.
    The younger of my brothers is single. He may or may be not allowed to marry the person he loves when he finds them. (We’re not too sure about him.)

If you can’t see the issue here, there’s probably no hope for you.

singletracked
    Free Member

You’re clutching at straws.

It’s a bit pathetic, to be honest.

Me? Yes, terribly so, why don’t you just destroy the argument with a quick and incisive riposte

scuzz
    Free Member

That makes no sense. Whilst its wrong to define someone by gender, it’s also the traits typical of a gender that you find attractive weather gay or straight. To suggest male and female are the same, is to suggest that sexual preference does or should not exist. We tend to be gay or straight because we endear the things that are unique in men or women. Your argument holds no water.

You are suggesting that our attraction to others stems from our sexuality.
    It is the other way round – it is exactly our attractions that define our sexuality.

miketually
    Free Member

That makes no sense. Whilst its wrong to define someone by gender, it’s also the traits typical of a gender that you find attractive weather gay or straight. To suggest male and female are the same, is to suggest that sexual preference does or should not exist. We tend to be gay or straight because we endear the things that are unique in men or women.

What nonsense.

Your argument holds no water.

But if a bearded sky wizard told me in my dreams?

singletracked
    Free Member

I was allowed to marry the person I love

ok, so marriage and love cannot be separated?

D0NK

ok, so marriage and love cannot be separated?

you can change “love” for “wanted to” in that line if you want, I was just offering a real example not a definitive one.

Me? Yes, terribly so, why don’t you just destroy the argument with a quick and incisive riposte

trying to define marriage as equal by carefully wording it was a bit clutch-y/straw-y

singletracked
    Free Member

What nonsense.

Seems to make sense to me, if there is no difference between men and women, then one would equally likely to be attracted to a man as they would a womsn.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Why would a straight man only want to marry a woman?

I am going to go out on a limb here but is it for money 🙄

FFS that is beyond clutching at straws and into the realms of the ludicrous

if there is no difference between men and women, then one would equally likely to be attracted to a man as they would a womsn.

I suggest you look at them naked

HTH

scuzz
    Free Member

Also, Grimy:

it’s also the traits typical of a gender that you find attractive weather gay or straight

Which would logically mean I, as a straight man, find every woman attractive.

Do you find every woman attractive?

singletracked
    Free Member

you can change “love” for “wanted to” if you want.

then we are back to the original question of “How can you say who anyone would want to marry”

singletracked
    Free Member

FFS that is beyond clutching at straws and into the realms of the ludicrous

so i keep hearing, but always in place of an argument

You seem to be saying that a straight man could only ever want to marry a woman. What is the basis of that claim? What do you think is so central to marriage that that could be the only outcome?

RustySpanner

Your argument has been destroyed several times over.
    Seriously.

Heterosexual couples may marry. Gay couples may not.
    Discrimination, pure & simple.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Boring troll is bring no one else could drive down such a pointless blind alley

i go for another 5 pages of this

When you present one that is not ridiculous i will bother to respond with something other than chuckling/mocking it.

I may have some wait

Still you are certainly pulling them in so enjoy you ” fame”

D0NK

then we are back to the original question of “How can you say who anyone would want to marry”

twisting it round in circles here, i thought the argument was about letting someone marry whoever they wanted to (assuming reciprocity) I wasn’t suggesting who they should want to marry, that was the religious factions wasn’t it?

singletracked
    Free Member

Ok, so just answer these 2 questions satisfactorily and I’ll stop this line of questioning.

What is the basis of that claim? What do you think is so central to marriage that that could be the only outcome?

Incidentally, ‘for love’ is not clear enough an answer on its own

singletracked
    Free Member

I wasn’t suggesting who they should want to marry, that was the religious factions wasn’t it?

but you are saying that a straight man would only want to marry a woman, for whatever reason

scuzz
    Free Member

but you are saying that a straight man would only want to marry a woman, for whatever reason

I hope I’m not missing something when I say: By definition of the word ‘straight’.

D0NK

What is the basis of that claim? What do you think is so central to marriage that that could be the only outcome?

I don’t think there is one central tenet to marriage there’s lots of reasons and no two couple will have the same ones.
    Love
    company
    feeling of security
    display of commitment
    for money
    just cos they want to
    etc
    etc

I know several religions want that central thing to be “between 1 man and 1 woman” and they can keep that for their place of worship based rituals/services but for legality and everything else’s sake nope sorry they can’t.

D0NK

no I didn’t I said I was lucky enough to be able to do what I happened to want to do.

You keep trying to twist peoples arguments, is this where I claim you are someone else and claim my cash gift?

singletracked
    Free Member

ok and for most / any on those reasons a straight man might want to marry another man.

singletracked
    Free Member

no I didn’t I said I was lucky enough to be able to do what I happened to want to do.

Ok then, are you saying that a straight man might want to marry another man?

singletracked
    Free Member

I’m not twisting arguments, I’m trying to understand other people’s views

scuzz
    Free Member

Bloody hell, can you not edit your posts? It’s very bad form on a forum to double post, let alone triple…

singletracked
    Free Member

overcomes the new page glitch issue, sorry if you find it confusing

Viewing 40 posts - 561 through 600 (of 771 total)

The topic ‘The church and homosexuality’ is closed to new replies.