Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Bathroom painting experts…
  • pixelmix
    Free Member

Since STW knows all…

The bathroom ceiling in PixelMix towers is plasterboard which has a couple of layers of bathroom paint directly onto it. The disadvantage of this is that it cracks because of the steam in the bathroom (there is no base layer of primer). I’m currently chipping away the cracked paint, which is exposing the plasterboard behind, although there are areas of the ceiling where the paint is still uncracked.

Obviously chipping away ALL of the paint is going to take forever, and no doubt leave a tatty plasterboard ceiling. Should I:-

a) chip away the cracked areas, sand the edges where the paint meets the chipboard, and slap on a couple of layers of bathroom paint
    b) put a primer layer over the whole ceiling, and then paint over with bathroom paint (would the primer permeate the existing paint layer?)
    c) remove all of the old paint from the whole ceiling, apply a primer, and then bathroom paint on top?

I am re-decorating to market our home in a few months, so whilst I want to do a reasonable job, I don’t want to spend a fortune or spend lots of time on it. As a result, I’m veering towards option a) at the moment. Thoughts?

nosherduke996
    Free Member

c

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

Neither, get it skimmed and paint it properly

Neil-F
    Free Member

If its not too big a bathroom, a couple of sheets of woodchip would be a cheap fix, and would hide a multitude of sins. 😀

bruneep

I put a UPVC cladding on the ceiling of our en suite http://www.deeplas.co.uk/images/decor_brochure.pdf

No more repainting. 😉

flip
    Free Member

You need a new carbon ceiling.

It’ll be lighter so your house will sell better. Fact.

pixelmix
    Free Member

Lol at Flip

Hmm, not exactly the answers I was hoping for. If only the ceiling had been done properly in the first place. Grrr. I do like the idea of UPVC ceilings in bathrooms, but I’m not sure I can be bothered for a flat we plan to sell within 4-5 months.

Taff
    Free Member

Can you get a picture of the ceiling up as it stands? I’m quite lazy with my house and in this instance I would do a liquidy mix of polyfiller and use a rubber squidgee or plasterers trowel. Any uneven bits can be taken out with some fine sand paper. Can be sealed with 3:1 PVA mix [emulsion or water] and then paint the ceiling with two coats of good quality paint suitable for bathrooms and kitchens. I’ve not had proplems qith cracking in my houses other than on decorators caulk but the father in laws and my Dads bathroom and kitchens are bad in areas, FIL’s is due to poor preperation and my Dads is due to lead based paint from back in the day

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Bathroom painting experts…’ is closed to new replies.