Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • bathroom extractor fans…
  • lovewookie

Hi,

Looking for a bit of advice about fitting an extractor for the bathroom.

house is a stone build cottage, 3 walls of the bathroom are stone, the other, separating the kitchen from the bathroom is a stud. Bathroom has a uPVC double gazed window in it.

what would be more cost effective you think? window mounted (assume cost of new opening window), or something through the stone wall?

if through the wall, would it be worth or is it possible to tie an extractor from the kitchen in to it?

If that’s a possibility, I’ve already got a big chunk out of the kitchen wall where the boiler vent pops out, would it be better to use that, or can I not put an extractor vent that close to a gas CH vent?

ta

footflaps

or can I not put an extractor vent that close to a gas CH vent?

I woudn’t, when the extractor is off you’ll get fumes wafting back through. There will be a minimum distance in building regs.

Murray

Is there a room above? If not, go through the ceiling.

dooosuk
    Free Member
    lovewookie

Thanks,

scotland too, but doubt that makes a difference.

There’s a room above, although it’s adormer, so may be easier to go through the ceiling and out through that? not thought of that before…ta 🙂

any ideas on budget costs for this type of work? are we talking £500 or £2k?

momo

Probably closer to £500, my dad is a sparky and fitted mine for free, but charged a mate £480 when he did his along with a few other small jobs a while back.

Through the roof and out the sofit is the best approach, don’t skimp on the fan, I have mine set up on a timer on the light circuit.

nealglover
    Free Member

If you have any space above in the former area, put the actual fan unit up there out of the way, that way you don’t have the noise of the fan right in the room with you.

lovewookie

ta,
    the dormer is a bedroom, flat roof above so not a lot of space there, plus I’m not really bothered about noise.

cheers all.

🙂

bensales
    Free Member

On a similar note, can anyone recommend a really quiet fan? We’ve got an extractor in our downstairs loo and the fan is dying. I’d like to replace with something that doesn’t sound like an old diesel engine warming up. Need a ceiling mount one for a 100mm hole.

oldgit
    Free Member

Most do quiet fans now.
    A wall type fan fitted in the ceiling though okay will often get noisy as the motor drops on the bearings.
    I prefer remote if ceiling mounted or vented straight out if wall mounted.

lovewookie

thread resurrection….

from the above, I have options of:

1. fan mounted on new glass in the window (personally, I think this looks ugly)
    2. hole in the thick stone wall and fan in that.
    3. hole in the ceiling, vent up through the bedroom floor and out the dormer wall. could be conceled easily in the old immersion cupboard/boxed in.

option 2 is most preferred, though option 3 may be easier as there’s still holes in the dormer wall from when we had the immerser tank removed.

question is, this is mostly electrical work, though some, maybe considerable hole forming and building type work.

Who best to contact? a builder, or a sparky?

ta

trail_rat
    Free Member

dont do the window option out of preferance…..

night mare to find good quality fans ( i have this set up in my kitchen and would love to **** it right off ) that have a backdraft shutter option that doesnt chatter all night long in the wind……

whats in the room upstairs ? if its a bedroom i wouldnt go with that option either…… youll drive its occupants nuts with the noise

Go hire a core drill and stick a hole in the wall 😀

500 quid to fit an extractor – really ? WOW im in the wrong game.

I bought a vent axia “silent” slimline a couple of years back…. it was anything but silent- just replaced it with a manrose gold silent – miles quieter.

yetidave
    Free Member

Who best to contact? a builder, or a sparky?

– Donny?

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

I have just discovered this weekend that the extract fans from both bathrooms vent into the pipe chase. Muppets (the previous owner) had two fans fitted with all the requisite ducting into the eaves and then simply stuck the end of the ducts into the top of the pipe chase. It get’s worse; the pipe chase, naturally, goes back down towards the downstairs bathroom where, via a hole in the plywood backing of the undersink cabinet it vents back into the bathroom it first came from…

lovewookie

lol @yetidave

that would be the cheaper option, parts plus a bottle of whisky.

murf
    Free Member

I’d go option 3 with an inline fan mounted in the dormer void of the upstairs bedroom. I recently fitted one from Screwfix in a mates house to solve a damp bathroom. It’s dual speed, pretty quiet and could sook an apple through a letter box!

lovewookie

dormer void

excuse my ignorance, but what’s the dormer void?

soobalias
    Free Member

good tip on the inline for less noise (oldgit and murf)
    planning to fit something above the shower enclosure, ducted through the loft space, exit through the eaves.

murf
    Free Member

Presuming your bedroom walls are sloping and the bit of wall under your dormer is vertical then their should be a void in behind the vertical section of wall. Also called a coomb I seem to remember.

lovewookie

ahh,

unfortunatley we have what is essentially a big wooden box where the roof used to be. That’s our dormer.

There is a small section of sloping roof at the edges, maybe a couple of foot. I’ll have a better look later to see if I could fit an inline under the bedroom floor and vent out to that bit. if not I’ll go under the old cupboard and box in some ducting up to the vertical wall.

Now that seems more straight forward it’s just wiring it up so it comes on with the bathroom light.

ta

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘bathroom extractor fans…’ is closed to new replies.