Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Bass Guitar Amps
  • Sandwich

Any body got any recommendations for a separate bass amp and cab system for a band where the lead and rhythm guitarists are using 100 watts each? Playing mostly rock towards the metal end of the spectrum and using a 4 string Ibanez SDGR that cost about £350 when new.

vdubber67
    Free Member

Depends if you’re playing live in some ways. No point lugging a massive set-up around if you’re all going through the PA.

If you’re in the market for something you can hear yourself through in a practice room, any modern 100w head with suitable cab should do you really.

The Ashdown stuff is really good for the money, and sounds nice too.

john_drummer
    Free Member

bassist in my last band had a selection – Hartke combo, Hartke head & cab, Trace Elliott head & two cabs. The TE stuff sounded really nice but was overkill for most of the gigs we did, as it mostly got DI’d anyway

tony_m
    Free Member

Two guitarists using 100 watts each? 😯

My first reaction is “Retire now, and keep your hearing intact”… 8)

Alternatively, try to find an old Trace Elliot 300W head/combo, ‘cos TE watts are bigger than anybody else’s (allegedly…) or alternatively an Ashdown rig (combo or head/cab) which is basically the new TE (though possibly hasn’t got quite as much oooomph).

If all else fails, check / ask here… Basschat

tony_m
    Free Member
    lodious
    Free Member

Personally, 300w minimum/decent sized cab.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

I like my ashdown combo. Had Peavey stuff before.

robkhoo
    Free Member

Back in the day I used to use a Mesa Boogie Bass 400+, an awesome amp. Probably best suited to bigger stages though… If you’re going to DI the bass don’t rely on the foldback wedges to let you actually hear what you’re playing. Always nice to have some power in reserve if you need it as well – 100w isn’t much IMO, 300w at least is more realistic, especially if you have a noisy drummer as well.

grumm
    Free Member

+3 for Ashdown, very nice stuff.

Though quite a few people now use the Mark bass stuff and don’t bother with separate heads/cabs.

jamest
    Free Member

I started playing about 4 years ago in a rock band with mates. I
    initially had a Line 6 lowdown 150. It was a lovely amp, well made with a good sound but with a 12″ cone it lacked power to reallly cut through the drums, as a consequence I was always running it at a spinal tap 11! If your guitarists are running 100 watt amps you need more, this is because of the nature of bass frequency,
    you want something to give good low end rumble particularly if playing pubs etc .
    I upgraded my bass 2 years ago and got a Fender bassman 250 amp , I have never looked back- fantastic sound , bags of volume !

Sandwich

Thanks for the suggestions, I shall be recommending some earplugs for Sandwich Junior. I don’t think they are using PA for anything but vocals currently. Off to Basschat now.

john_drummer
    Free Member

Unlikely to use a PA for anythong other than vocals in practice room situation; gigs are a different matter.
    Depending on the size of venue, PA could be simply vocals, vocals guitars & kick drum, or the full monty. The bigger the venue, the more goes through the PA

tony_m
    Free Member

Sandwich – Member
    Thanks for the suggestions, I shall be recommending some earplugs for Sandwich Junior. I don’t think they are using PA for anything but vocals currently. Off to Basschat now.

Sorry to say there hasn’t been much response to the cross-post I did on Basschat last night… 🙁

Northwind

I was a gigantic trace elliot fanboi… Good kit and it had GREEN WRITING on it which seems to be worth about another 50 watts.

RoterStern
    Free Member

Trace Elliot don’t have the bopttom end for metal/rock. They have always been more for funk bass players IMO. If you want the best then an Ampeg set up would get my vote but you’ll need a roadie as their stuff weighs a ton!

tony_m
    Free Member

Good kit and it had GREEN WRITING on it which seems to be worth about another 50 watts.

Or more, if it had the UV light as well… 8)

Sandwich

Sandwich Junior was taken with a Barefaced compact cab and Hartke LH500 combo which is about the limit for budget. One lead guitar is using a 4×10 or 12 cab the other has a single driver cab. As is usual with teenagers he didn’t know much detail!
    So UV light is like red bikes then?

chiefgrooveguru

If Jr has a car then a couple of big heavy old cabs and an old low power head will be the cheapest route to loudness if you can find them secondhand locally. If not then the LH500/Compact would work well and allow him to add a second cab in the future if he’s playing bigger gigs, whilst making public transport / car sharing much easier. With a vocal only PA the limiting factor will be the loudness of the kickdrum and keeping that audible is the way to keep the guitars from getting too loud, and it would take a very very big undamped kick and a drummer with a very heavy right foot to be louder than that bass rig!

tony_m
    Free Member

Sandwich Junior was taken with a Barefaced compact cab and Hartke LH500 combo which is about the limit for budget. One lead guitar is using a 4×10 or 12 cab the other has a single driver cab. As is usual with teenagers he didn’t know much detail!

Good call on the Barefaced, they’ve built up a dedicated following on BC.

I presume you’ve already seen them, but in case you hadn’t here are the Amp and Cab review section, and the ever-popular but potentially wallet-damaging Amps and Cabs For Sale/Trade. That said, I got both my Ashdown combos through here, one at a very good price. 🙂

So UV light is like red bikes then?

Indeed… 8)

Sandwich

Well we’ve had some luck. Chap I work with has a Trace Elliot 15″ cab that he’s going to donate to the cause. So now it’s what amp to go with the cab time. We’ll possible go with the terror bass as he can push the boat out now!!
    Junior has acquired some musicians earplugs from the local hearing centre for £12 which he is well pleased with (but not the wax that sticks to them).
    Thanks for all the help.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Bass Guitar Amps’ is closed to new replies.