Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • Bashguards – Cool or Fool
  • slowrider
    Free Member

eve libertine doesnt even use chainring bolts let alone a bash!

BigDummy
    Free Member

That's so that if the chainring does hit an obstacle it can rotate out of the way rather than hanging up or bending. Effin' 'core.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

LOL 8)

qwerty
    Free Member

hijack – anyone got a 5 arm CD, 36t bash for sale?

martinddd AT hotmail.co.uk

ta

Northwind

GW wrote, "a guide plate however is very important to keep the chain from falling off the outside if you plan on riding anything even vaguely rough quickly."

Nah, not really, I've never dropped the chain once since I went to 2-ring despite riding both fast and rough. I did drop it a couple of times when I first built it as a lash-up but getting the front mech just right and shortening the chain seems to have made all the difference.

tazzymtb

Andy_M

you ride a ss with a posh trouser guard therfore you can be forgiven your oingly boingly indescretions on the chase and be classified as nichemongerwhore if you really want?

the main thing is to ride bikes and have fun (and take the piss out everyone and everything) 😀

slowrider
    Free Member

qwerty, search the classifieds for the guy doing ti bashrings, he might have something.

RestlessNative
    Free Member

@qwerty $18 brand new with shipping BBG Bashguards

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

So are you saying that by adjusting the mech and shortening the chain, I can lose my 36 bash ring? Coool!

But I thought the mech had to slightly overshift to work – might that not throw the chain?

BTW – where are 3 out of 4 of your chainring bolts Eve?

Northwind

Well, i'm saying it works for me, you might be more core than me 🙂 But when you think about it, how often do you lose the chain off either end of a triple? It's no different. For downhilling, sure, but then downhillers don't usually have doubles anyway.

jcromton
    Free Member

I operate a gash guard.

It's well XXXC. Must be worth the money (a fiver) for the number of scrapes it's got.

If you don't need a big ring, just do it.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I have a twin ring no bash set up and I don't drop the chain or hit the chainring. Not the gnarliest of riders but I do ride over some fairly rough terrain

PJM1974
    Free Member

I kept breaking teeth on my big chainring (partly thanks to my numpty riding admittedly), which at £35 a pop soon wore thin. I fitted a 36T middle ring plus a bashring and never looked back.

On a minor point, a bashring means fewer leg gouges when crashing your bike too.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

My bashguard keeps my chain on with my 1×9 set up and also keeps my leg from getting cut up on my chainring.

grumm
    Free Member

Unless it's a race bike I can't see the need for a triple ring really – bash is much more practical.

djglover
    Free Member

The fashion police don't let you into the Cwmcarn car park without one do they?

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

BTW – where are 3 out of 4 of your chainring bolts Eve?

After taking the photo, I had to rumage around for short chain ring bolts and I adjusted the front mech (not essential, it works without adjusting the front mech).
    However, like Northwind and TJ, I don't experience any chain drop with a double chain ring setup without a bash ring. A bash ring makes it all look nice and neat, I suppose, but it's not essential. I like to play on slow speed silly techy rocks at places like Stainburn, if you take away the big chain ring, you are very unlikely to bash anything.

LordFelchamtheIII
    Free Member

Isn't that big cog on the outside used to protect the other cogs? Never had any other use for it.

mojo5pro
    Free Member

The guy at LBS had to be taken to hospital and have his leg stitched extensivley due to the outer chainring slicing his leg during a crash.
    He never rides without a bash now.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Ouch
    All these slow riders on here who never use the big ring… *tuts*

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Bashguards – Cool or Fool’ is closed to new replies.