Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Bash Guard
  • hainman
    Free Member

Im looking to put a bash guard on to replace my Large Ring(oh er)…

Couple of noob questions….do i need anything else bar the bash guard and is it something i will be able to fit myself??

Am i best with plastic or alloy??oh and what size do i get??think my crank size is 44-32-22??

Many thanks

Craig

coogan
    Free Member

Do you have the wee tool to help get the bolts off like this:

I use E13 bash guards, work fine for me. They are easy to fit. You’ll need one sized bigger than your middle ring. 36T for example.

marsdenman
    Free Member

do i need anything else bar the bash guard

if you’re simply replacing your big ring with the bash it is unlikely you’ll need anything else

is it something i will be able to fit myself??

yup, straightforward, assuming you have the right size torx or allen key.

material – i went for the alloy one from BBB. Took a while to arrive but great vfm – it’s a nicely turned out item

hainman
    Free Member

@Coogan no i dont have one of theose.is it an essntial or would socket or spanner work??

@marsdenman i seen a nice alloy red 32-34 anodised red one i like.is that the size i need to replace the large ring??

coogan
    Free Member

Yeah, they help with the bolts on the back of the chain rings.

I’ve only ever taken them off using one those wee tools, so don’t know of any other way of doing it. They only cost a fiver. They hold the top bolt in place while you use an allen key/hex tool to loosen the bottom bolt in the picture.

hainman
    Free Member

Cheers mate,think i have something similar that should work,as for size…will it be 32-34 and will i need to take links of chain??

Doug
    Free Member

Large screwdriver also works.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Yes, the size should match the size of the ring its suppsoed to cover. So in this case 32, but 34 is fine. You should be able to do it fine without one of those tools, you can probably remove some chain links if you want aswell.

hainman
    Free Member

cheers guys….how many links should i remove??

james
    Free Member

“do i need anything else bar the bash guard
    if you’re simply replacing your big ring with the bash it is unlikely you’ll need anything else”

ime not true, some bash rings are a fair bit fatter than a chainring
    eg truvativ, shimano hone (and slx?), fsa polycarbonate
    truvativ and shimano longer chainring bolts aren’t cheap (£15-20ish), The FSA polycarbonate (clear) bash’s come with longer bolts in the packet. They will also run with the torx chainring bolts from shimano cranksets

Not all bash rings are ‘fat’ though, there are many (mostly metal?) bashes that are quite narrow, so normal bolts should suffice

An FSA polycarb for eg, mine has took many a knock with only minor chipping
    A Shimano 32t Hone is fairly thin/light (plastic) and after a few too many knocks (and overtightened bolts) will split. Though at £10 not expensive to replace
    As far as I know a 36t Shimano SLX bash is fair bit chunkier

hainman
    Free Member

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=92251

this is the fella im looking at buying….

getonyourbike
    Free Member

I’ve got one of those on my hardtail. If fact, I’m about the take it off. It’s a 36t in blue. You can have it for £15 posted if you like. I’ve also got a black and silver aluminium one, 36t again, that you can have for the cost of postage.

The standard length chainring bolt works with the Straitline one and the freebie I’m offering.

EDIT- I’d look at getting a 36t one because you’ll probably find that you’ll want to change to middle ring to something bigger like a 36t. A 36t bash works with a 36t ring.

hainman
    Free Member

getonyerbike thanks but got some red bits on bike so thats why i was looking at the red one,not blue….why would i need a 36 middle ring??would 36 fit on my currrent 32?or is that a silly question…

getonyourbike
    Free Member

You might find that you want a bigger middle ring so you don’t spin out. You could quite easily change the 32t to a 36t, and you can use a 36t bash with a 32t ring until you get a 36t on.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Bash Guard’ is closed to new replies.