Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Barring those calls from India
  • Ti29er
    Free Member

Finally, I've tired of the stupid, incessent calls from India – I've had three this morning already. What do they hope to sell me, I really don't know – we've never got that far in our "conversations".

I've registered with http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/
    and told Virgin Media to do whatever they do at their end.

There are other options, but we'll start with these two and see what difference it makes.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

ourkidsam
    Free Member

we've never got that far in our "conversations".

Maybe if you'd let them speak the first time, they wouldn't have rung you back twice.

Olly
    Free Member

jus tell them as soon as they call that "one moment, ill be back in a second"
    and put the phone down on the side and go back to what you were doing.
    pay for THAT long distance call, and also tie up thier phone line.

we never get them, you must have missed a check box that stops people from selling your number?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Don't think there's anything you can do bar TPS.

aP
    Free Member

Just ask them who their client is – they usually put the phone down quite quickly.

tron
    Free Member

I find telling them that you're on the TPS normally results in a polite sorry and goodbye. No need to go berserk with them at all – it's not a pleasant thing for them either.

Of course, the international callers are outside the TPS regulations, but they're generally keen not to rock the boat – I suspect this is a message from on high.

BigJohn

Just ask them the same questions as they're asking you.

Them – "Hello I'm Richard Thompson, Do you have any credit card debts"

Me – "Hello Richard, how much debt do you have? – And what time is it where you are?"

coffeeking
    Free Member

TPS can't stop non-UK companies calling and your service provider won't help, I've been through all of this. I've had the same company call me multiple times in one day and not been able to get it through their thick skulls that I don't want calling. The last one told me they didn't get access to the TPS records and they had my name/number from an old phone book from about 5 years ago. They'd struggle as that name and number didn't co-exist then, their slumdog sympathy tactics don't work with me.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

There's always complete silence on the line until you get put thru to a sales person, put the phone down. Anyone else, you'll immediately hear background noise/breathing.

Mikkel
    Free Member

we just recently got virgin broadband and phoneline, we instantly had lots of calls like that.
    That before we had actually given our number to anyone, so can only assume its Virgin themselves who sell our numbers……..

ski
    Free Member

Ask them for their name & home number & what time they clock off work?

nickc

so can only assume its Virgin themselves who sell our numbers……..

Yep. As has been said TPS doesn't help, a "No thanks" usually does the trick.

clubber
    Free Member

I'm with Virgin and the only calls like that we get are for someone else who presumably had the number before we did. Bloody Sophie Churchill though 😈

Ti29er
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member
    Don't think there's anything you can do bar TPS.

That's the point of the post Cynic-al – there is a service that is enforceable by law in the UK, so your reply is wrong. I have provided a link to help out.

For us, it's the calls that come into us from India, these are what I'm now trying to get to grips with; and as some of the more educated replies have suggested, it's easier said than done.

However, I think Sam's reply is the "best". Twice! Try several hundreds of times Sam!

Maybe if you'd let them speak the first time, they wouldn't have rung you back twice.

Clubber – be thankful it wasn't a cab company's old number! Imagine the drunken calls on a Friday night.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

The other thing to do is to get onto the database providers – usually esperian or some other company I forget the name of and get them to delete your number.

However this sounds like someone has sold on your details – it can be traced back and removed but can be a load of hassle. Ask the people phoneing you where they got your number from.

always check any agreement you make for a check box for sharing number. I always take the "don't share" option and almost never get junkmail calls

Taff
    Free Member

If you get them after signing up with TPS then if you do get a call then ask how they got your number. If you sign up with that they should not be ringing you. As said above though it can't stop overseas calling. I had an Indian call four times in one day and I got p****d off in the end, I've got to admit I flew off the handle when they called at 3.30am.

nickhart
    Free Member

my dad asks them what their favourite sexual position is, usually gets rid quite quickly although i'm sure he'll meet his match one day!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Barring those calls from India’ is closed to new replies.