Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • Banksy
  • 0091paddy
    Free Member

Anyone else a fan? Must buy 'his' book.

MrNutt
    Free Member

yep, had his book for a while, tis good it is.

Kuco

I like the second pic but the other two do nothing for me.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

I see he's taken to going over people's pieces now. Nice.

MrNutt
    Free Member

well people go over his, ever driven into Bristol from the M4, the bridge used to read B A N K S E Y but now it seems to read something different every week 😀

0091paddy
    Free Member

Not your average cash point.

Fantastic..

piha
    Free Member

Enjoyed Banksy's work for quite some time now. I would see his work appearing around Shoreditch a good few years ago. Gets a little stick now for selling out but I still like him.

CountZero

The 'window' one, which is in Park Street, Bristol, always makes me laugh when I see it. Banksy is a graphic genius, his ideas and his excecution of them never fails to amaze me. I wish I had a fraction of his creativity.

langy
    Free Member

Have his book – have several other street art/non-commissioned art/graffiti/vandalism* books too. Hangover from a 'mis-spent' youth I guess.

Whether it's to your taste or not is up to you, but most of Bansky's stuff is quite clever in terms of the observations made. He does seem to be getting a bit up himself though lately, what with the whole thing with going over other peoples stuff when there was no real need to. Don't buy the "other's go over his stuff" argument in that it hadn't been there for 20 years or however long, plus in the book he actually courts the interaction of others with several of his 'pieces'.

*delete as appropriate ;D

onandon
    Free Member

The exhibition was fantastic.
    A 5 hour wait to get in ,but still worth it 🙂

grantway
    Free Member

See loads of it round East London
    seems all been done using stencils.
    Does look a cut above the rest when you
    see it.
    The one I like is the two kids saluting a Tesco carrier bag.
    Some how the carrier bag has been defaced a few times

MrAgreeable

In two minds about the bloke myself. On the one hand, his work often doesn't have much of a message beyond "woah dude, corporations are bad, and stuff", and his style borrows wholesale from an 80s French artist, Blek Le Rat. He's clearly a great marketer of his abilities, which doesn't necessarily make him a great artist. But it's well-executed, often very audacious, and seems to have had a knock-on effect on a new generation of graf artists who want to bring some social consciousness into their work.

Surfr
    Free Member

Is the 2nd image really a banksey? It doesn't appear to even be in Europe and it's a single stencil. Hardly comparable to the other 2 pieces.

retro83
    Free Member

Used to live down the road from the "Mild, mild West" bear lobbing the molotov cocktail on Stokes Croft. Always brightened my day walking past it

MrAgreeable

Surfr, yes, it's on the Gaza wall. Various graf artists have been over there to paint it.

roper
    Free Member

I agree with Mr Agreeable.
    Blek Le Rat has the edge on banksy to me. His images are not just about "a message" and he has a good understanding of the aesthetics of his work which banksy seems to lack.

binners

The book is well worth getting. Nice to see a bit of witty political comment.

Pieface

Does Blek Le Rat preced Banksy? If so it appears Banksy has ripped off Blek to a degree.

I don't know much about art and probably represent a fair degree of the great unwashed, but from what I knew from the media Banksy was one of the 'originals'.

Spongebob
    Free Member

Has anyone got any photos of the guy?

dooosuk
    Free Member

No, the photos of him (?) placing his works in The Louvre, Natural History Museum etc. he's in a disguise.

There was a newspaper a year or so ago though that thought they'd exposed him with a picture. Not sure what became of that though.

trailmonkey

Loving the 'IT'S JUST VANDALISM' tag at the top. I never new Brian Sewell was a mountain biker.

iDave
    Free Member

Moses

His art is witty, well executed and inspires others: I think there's less mindless tagging in the streets now that good graffiti is accepted.

The exhibition was the first art exposition that made me laugh out loud, it was subversive and fun, and I go see plenty of art. He is definitely an artist.

dooosuk
    Free Member

He's got a film coming out on the 5th March:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/arts_and_culture/8471145.stm

miketually
    Free Member
    Midnighthour
    Free Member

Art for most people has been dead for ages. Talentless people /self publicists like Tracey Emin and that prat who does the dead animals have helped people despise 'Art'. Banksy has rekindled interest in art for lots of people, bringing originality, humour and actual skill instead of snobbery, emperors clothes and pretension. Who could complain about that?

BermBandit
    Free Member

Defacing someone elses property by imposing your view of art onto it is vandalism.

Street art is something entirely different.

Personally, however clever and witty something is if it falls into the former grouping I think its antisocial and should have no place in our society. So Bansky vandalism is still vandalism. Banksy artwork on the other hand is clever, innovative and welcome.

As for selling out. Surely the whole concept of shared art is to deliver it to the widest possible audience. In fact Graffitti is really more guilty of this than most other art forms…..isn't it? So how is obtaining a mainstream outlet for his work selling out? Or transferring that to cycling should we all be riding self build bone shaker bikes with varying degrees of suitability for purpose??

Surfr
    Free Member

When has Banksy ever vandelised anything?

marcher
    Free Member

I'm looking to shift my banksy bomb hugger print circa 2003. If you know anyone that fancies it, feel free to get in touch. It's not really me anymore!

Nezbo
    Free Member

I got his book for christmas.

Was'nt a fan cos i didnt know who/what it was. but a bit of a fan now 🙂

martyntr
    Free Member

Banksy's an artist…. pure and simple..

martyntr
    Free Member

Dan I think the second photo's one of the ones he did on the Israeli security wall around the West Bank….

organic355
    Free Member

I own these 2: (not originals or course) !!

Pandamonium

Lost Love

Dave
    Free Member

Banksy Gaza Wall pieces

redthunder
    Free Member

DBK

Tagging is where it's at, still graffiti just like bansky's.

DBK's work is the best under the susspension bridge tunnel on the Portway and a telephone kiosk in Lawrence Weston and lamp post in Shire.

mrfrosty
    Free Member

Did nt he paint the first pic on the side of a clap clinic ?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

The picture of the guy hanging from the window, yeah

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Banksy's work does not deface walls, it enhances them. So it's "free" civic art in my book.

richc
    Free Member

I read an interesting article a while ago about his stuff in Gaza, apparently he had quite a few oh shit moments where the Israeli's were thinking of shooting him as a terrorist/non-Zionist.

So he spent a fair bit of his time face in the dirt with boots on his back. Still continued to paint the wall so fair play to him, especially as accidents do seem to happen at a fairly regular frequency over there.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Banksy’ is closed to new replies.