Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Bank holiday riding
  • Stu_N

Hope everyone had a good one.

Friday – half day at work; left car on edge of Edinburgh so quick NCN/ towpath commute in and out. Went down to Glentress after lunch and did the Red Route as waymarked with no additions, deviations or subtractions. Probably the first time in about 3 years I have done exactly that. It was ace. Then had a roll and sausage at The Hub and went out and did the Blue route which, i have to say, was even acer than the red, especially Berm Baby Berm. Bike – Scandal 29er. Distance – 30 miles. Time – 3h 20 mins.

Saturday – lots of house stuff to do and spent much of the day cocking around with NoTubes kit, Maxxis tyres and Salsa rims. Finally beat it into submission by buying a compressor from B and Q (Folk in the ghetto presumably have one already.) Stan says “now go ride” after his instructions so I duly did. Just an hour on local trails through woods and country park, amazingly dodging two heavy rain showers. But all good fun, and Stan didn’t explode or leak or anything. Bike – Scandal 29er. Distance – 10.2 miles. Time 1h 10 mins

Sunday – plan A was road ride but it was really windy so went to Glentress again. Rode most of the black then after Deliverance ducked onto the Blue to finish. Nearly binned it on Berm Baby Berm but somehow didn’t (cornering too fast for skill levels). Bike: Rush Distance 18 miles Time 2h 20 mins

Monday – At work. Took car to garage and rode in and out from there. But it passed its MOT so that was OK. Bike: CXommuter Distance 15.3 miles Time 1h 5 mins

So, all good.

How was yours?

anto164
    Free Member

Mine was OK. Friday – Stayed at work late, then went for an offroad blast around my local woods after i had tea.

Saturday was a lazy day with a stripdown and clean of my bike, plus fixing a couple of innertubes and that.

Sunday was a reasonably early start then meeting 6 mates at penmachno for a lap of both loops. (Took about 3hr 30 as it was that wet and windy) and only half of us had ridden there before. AWESOME singletrack.

then today was supposed to be riding first thing, but i slept until midday, so i got the roady out, gave it a clean, then went for a road ride this afternoon, dodging the showers.

Good weekend! Shame i’m back in work tomorrow.

jimnicho
    Free Member

Mine was pants… weather has been wet all weekend. The only bike related action going on in our house was fitting a new BB to the new build bike and donating my old thing via freecycle 🙁

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Surrey Hills perfection for me. Ace cake at the Tower, too!

charliedontsurf

A memorial ride with Poole wheelers roadie club, to remember Rob Jefferies. One of the guys said… When I put this on the forum yesterday I thought half a dozen might turn up.

The weather was shite and around 100 turned out including Rob’s wife Jane and his daughter Eve who was on the back of a tandem.

Odd few days but nice ride.

epicsteve
    Free Member

I didn’t take the bank holiday but managed a quick spin in the Pentlands yesterday afternoon (it was pretty wild up there but at least the wind was helping on the climb to Maidens Cleugh) and a the first SS run of the year this evening, again up in the Pentlands:

It was much nicer up in the Pentlands this evening.

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

Not riding much just now. Climbed at Ratho on Friday which was ace. Got introduced to the bathgate alps on Saturday…head wind most of the way, lots of climbs, hail, rain and sunshine. Ran on Sunday morning and then climbed at alien in the afternoon and I was climbing really well. Went to the gym this morning and have had an afternoon of guilty pleasures on the sofa.

Really dont want this weekend to end 😥

charliedontsurf

Tubeless on salsa rims?!?!
    The rims that salsa Say must not be run tubeless?
    Did it work out?
    Interested to know if it works. If I recall correctly the outer diameter is smaller than norm making changing tyres dead easy but less than ideal for tubeless.

vinnyeh

pants. week 4 of a broken arm. I’m an evil tempered grump, according to wife and family.

angryratio
    Free Member

Bit of bleak open moor riding at Ingram Valley up near Rothbury on friday, then, saturday and sunday my usual bike commute to work and back.
    Today i’ve sat with a case of beer and had a day off the bike.

Where i ride it’s always packed with all the prats who never get any fresh air for the rest of the year.

Stu_N

Charlie – I read the Salsa thing as a total US-litigous-society-arse-covering manoeuvre as they say this for all their rims – and so I self-evidently ignored it 🙂

It worked OK (Maxxis Ardent 2.25 tyres on Salsa Delgado Cross rims), only done one short ride but tried some pretty vigorous cornering to check the tyres were on OK and unlikely to roll off and they seemed to be fine. Used 2 layers of yellow tape and 2 layers of electrical tape to build the rim bed up plus Stan’s 29er rim strips in there. It took a compressor to get them up – the tyres were quite slack even with all that stuff in the rim – much more and the rim strip wouldn’t sit in I don’t think. They sealed well enough even without latex and don’t seem to be losing air.

We’ll see…

Edit: THIS THREAD has more info (I don’t know what Gorilla Tape is – and am intrigued).

Jamie
    Free Member

Wet weather was wet, so went for a run in an old quarry.

Road bike is for sunny days only.

….and have had an afternoon of guilty pleasures on the sofa.

8)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Bank holiday riding’ is closed to new replies.