Viewing 37 posts - 41 through 77 (of 77 total)
  • Balloon in a car
  • Cougar

Heliophile.

davidrussell
    Free Member

next time it could be a balloon’s smiley face.

what about the kidnap victim in the boot btw?

downshep

The other ducks from each pair were bundled into a cage and conveyered to the airport…..

choron
    Free Member

inertia.

GrahamS

C’mon aracer, don’t keep us in suspenders

aracer
    Free Member

Are you expecting marks for your work?

5lab

i’d say backwards as well. assuming its full enough of air to float. interestingly, if you went round a roundabout quickly it should also move to the right of the car

ETA : unless the car was on a conveyer belt, in which case slowing the car’s wheels wouldn’t make any difference

higthepig
    Free Member

On to the floor as I would have burst the stupid thing.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Is the question how does it move in relation to the world? or how does it move in relation to the slowing car?

StirlingCrispin

As TJ says.

My friend got asked this in an Oxbridge entry exam many years ago. He said forwards and ended up going to Bristol.

emsz
    Free Member

Does it make any difference if you’ve sucked out the helium to make your voice go all funny?

Milkie
    Free Member

Definitive answer…
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAHogZOwVoA[/video]

GrahamS

Cool ta Milkie. Looks like TJ is right.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

[smug mode]I’m always right[/smug mode]

GrahamS

This one is even better cos you can compare the balloons:
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjb-D2doH1I[/video]

aracer
    Free Member

Not particularly related, but those vids made me think of this:
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JU2GEcriZY4[/video]

GrahamS

Now that is responsible driving 😀

MrNutt
    Free Member

consider that the boiling point of Helium is (minus)268.93 (°C)

and then take in to consideration the figure 8.93(meters) being the world record distance a unicycle has travelled along the top of a beer bottle.

link: http://newslite.tv/2011/09/29/unicyclist-rides-along-a-row-o.html

remove without taking away, those figures, from each other and as if by magic, you have the answer to maths question of the day.

I hope that helps. (and no, I’m not about to tell you the answer to the boiling water question)

Adam_85
    Free Member

If you stand in the aisle of a train doing 100mph and jump, what happens then?

GrahamS

You fly through the air at 100mph and land exactly where you were before, still travelling at 100mph.

aracer
    Free Member

You fly through the air at 100mph and land exactly where you were before

How is that possible?

GrahamS

Because you were already travelling at 100mph before you took off.

You go straight up relative to the train, but you’re flying at 100mph relative to the outside world. And you land straight back down again. Still going at 100mph.

fourbanger
    Free Member

so all the air goes to the front and the helium to the back

The car is full of air. How does the air go to the front?

Cougar

Given that whilst sitting in a chair spodding you’re already doing around 1000mph due to the rotation of the Earth, would you expect to be able to jump in the air and land in Ireland?

(For the purposes of this example, let’s assume that you’re not in Ireland already).

5lab

The car is full of air. How does the air go to the front?

because its heavier than the baloon, and, under braking, the axis of gravity pulls towards the front of the car. Same reason that the baloon rises when you let go of it

higthepig
    Free Member

Given that whilst sitting in a chair spodding you’re already doing around 1000mph due to the rotation of the Earth, would you expect to be able to jump in the air and land in Ireland?

But doesn’t the earth rotate the other way, so you could jump from Ireland to the UK but not the other way round unless you started from the Atlantic.

5lab

But doesn’t the earth rotate the other way, so you could jump from Ireland to the UK but not the other way round unless you started from the Atlantic

no.

nosherduke996
    Free Member

x=mc4-speed of car x 22/7 divided by the circumference of the balloon – temperature inside of car. The answer is it bursts 🙄

molgrips
    Free Member

Yes.. balloon moves backwards, cos the heavier air moves forwards and displaces the lighter balloon.

Imagine a container half full of water. You brake, the water moves forwards.. the air in the container moves backwards.

Tch, stay off the forum for one afternoon and I miss the perfect opportunity to be right and subsequently vindicated… took you lot almost a page for someone to get in there.

aracer
    Free Member

took you lot almost a page for someone to get in there.

and then it was TJ 😯

aracer
    Free Member

Because you were already travelling at 100mph before you took off.

Yes, but if you’re going at 100mph, how can you land exactly where you were before?

molgrips
    Free Member

Do you lot not understand the word ‘relative’?

You’re talking nonsense… you are talking about moving frames of reference (ie the train) but not specifying what you mean by ‘where’.

philconsequence
    Free Member

Harry_the_Spider

Forwards, much the same as my mates dog did.

Dog asleep on parcel shelf.
    Mate drives into the back of someone at lights.
    Dog hits windscreen with tragic results. 😥

Balloon wouldn’t move with pooch killing velocity as it has a large area that is subject to air resistance and a small mass. The dog had a small area and a large mass. Well, large enough to put a hole in the winscreen of a Ford Granada. The driver broke his thumb on the steering wheel.

_tom_
    Free Member

up, its filled with helium innit.

dont tell me i’m wrong, i’ve seen the film ‘Up’

Phil is correct. The real question is why doesn’t said driver add more balloons and float above the rest of the traffic?

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Wait, is the car in the northern or southern hemisphere, and at what latitude? Is it travelling with or against the earth rotation? Are we ignoring the effects of charged ions? Is the car’s headlining vinyl, velour, or something else. Do we know the coefficient of friction of the headlining? Is the vehicle on level ground? During braking, what attitude does the vehicle take due to weight transfer? Is the driver wearing a nylon jumper? Has anyone in the car eaten beans or radishes within the past 24 hrs?

Just polishing off my excel sheet, nearly there.

GrahamS

I think you’ll need to account for the weight of the balloon too TuckerUK.

The contents may be lighter than air, but the foil/rubber of the balloon, plus possibly string and maybe lettering or a little party tag all need to be accounted for as the inertia throwing it forward must be overcome by the air “pushing” it back. 🙂

Viewing 37 posts - 41 through 77 (of 77 total)

The topic ‘Balloon in a car’ is closed to new replies.