Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Balancing radiators – now i have a whistling kettle for a radiator….
  • trail_rat
    Free Member

recently i fitted 2 new radiators , 4 new lockshields/TRVs and refilled the system with inhibitor.

I then balanced the radiators with a dual sensor thermometer – – as i got pissed off with the laser thermometer method i used last time i did this.

I set them all up to have 12degrees C drop between inlet and outlet when TRV is fully open. which equates to between 1/4 to a full turn the further you get from the radiator. The inlet temp at the first rad tail is 49deg C

My issue is the radiator in my bedroom – which is one of the originals (3 years old delonghi) with one of the original danfoss TRV and lockshields Whistles like a banshee when starting from cold in the morning(at 4am convienantly….:() unless i open the lockshield up a turn or two…. its only that radiator. No air coming out of any rads when i tried rebleeding them , i dont seem to have a leak in as much that the pressure isnt dropping at all and i did a 3 bar pressure test for a good while before i filled with inhibitor and the rads all get uniformly hot.

Its a 3 year old grant boiler , with radiators ranging between 3years and 1 week, its always had fernox in it (the antifreeze one) and it has a magnaclean on it and theres a dump radiator in the system

Now i realise the obvious fix is obvious – leave the lockshield open But i want to know why its doing this …its slightly irritating in the morning…..makes me grumpy for the rest of the day.

cheers

Stoner
    Free Member

leave the lockshield open

this.

I reckon it will be some turbulence around the valve seat/jumper at a particular flow rate.

just twiddle it out.

stumpy01

Stoner – Member

I reckon it will be some turbulence around the valve seat/jumper at a particular flow rate.

+1…..

dropoff

Is the TRV multi-directional ? You could try swapping the TRV and lockshield over as it sounds like there’s a pressure drop over the lockshield.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Sorted. No noise today.

User error. Held a stati cold pressure test at 3 bar for a couple hours.

How ever in use it was sucking air in from a loose compression fitting on the bottom of one of the original trvs upstairs.

Yesterday It was running down the rad tail to under floor and i lost pressure ( for first time in 2 weeks) .then i noticed a damp patch in the downstairs hall,

Got 4 full turns on the fitting without trying. All tight , holding pressure , roofs dried out and most importantly dog gone quiet now.

Thank ****. Didnt get woken at 4am today 🙂

slowoldgit
    Free Member

I see you’ve sorted it. Could it also be the highest rad in the system, or the first on the top floor supply? Just curious.

trail_rat
    Free Member

It is the first on the upstairs system – it has also become the highest point in the system due to fitting 2 modern tripple panel low height rads in other rooms.

But theres no doubt i had a leak due to the fact i ha a wet roof and wet rad tail- neither were wet when i posted the op- first thing i looked for was a leak!

slowoldgit
    Free Member

I believe that’s where both gas and trouble collect, but perhaps not the force to undo the fitting.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Balancing radiators – now i have a whistling kettle for a radiator….’ is closed to new replies.