Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Soft bunch of Londoners
  • mrsfry
    Free Member

I can’t beleave not one single person said “shift your bike” Them London folk need a good talking too

Londoners’ fury after ‘selfish’ cyclist takes up two train seats with his bike while others stand

Cougar

People would rather stand around being outraged so that they can write to the media rather than going “er, excuse me” or just picking it up and throwing it down the aisle.

Assuming it’s not a staged photo in the first place, of course.

MrSmith
    Free Member

If only a well’ard northerner was there to sort em out.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Kryton57

When you can talk to us using proper grammar you may get a response.

That aside, I accept what you say, the problem is when you consider in our highly dense unknown to each other population that any other person could be a knife wielding nutcase, especially one who may have the balls not to give a shit about doing that, it makes you think twice about asking the question. And no, no one else will step in to help.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

That aside, I accept what you say, the problem is when you consider in our highly dense unknown to each other population that any other person could be a knife wielding nutcase, especially one who may have the balls not to give a shit about doing that, it makes you think twice about asking the question. And no, no one else will step in to help.

People actually want to live in this environment? London is often espoused as being the centre of sophistication, sound like a right shithole.

mrsfry
    Free Member

I’d ask him to move it or move it for him. I couldn’t live with being a coward.

stgeorge

Strange use of the phrase “covered in mud” , bike looks spotless to me. and bloke looks the worse for wear….

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Ya pussy!

kimbers

Smells fishy to me I’ve seen people kick off over briefcase on the tube, no way people wouldn’t say something.
    If that’s the owner he looks passed out even then who would put their bike like that?
    Just your usual cycling bashing fron the meeja

konabunny
    Free Member

When you can talk to us using proper grammar you may get a response.

To the extent that your second paragraph can actually be parsed as English, it’s total rubbish.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

It’s rong. Very rong.

Kryton57

Konabunny, lighten up princess.

I’d ask him to move it or move it for him. I couldn’t live with being a coward.

I’d do the same courteously, but there are lots that won’t which is what I’m explaining. People do that all the time on trains with their bags, to which might standard response to the receive grimace is “did you bag pay for a ticket”? I find it selfish and inconsiderate.

dknwhy

Another nonsense, headline grabbing story. On a handful of occasions I’ve been unfortunate enough to take a bike on busy London trains. There is very little cycle provision so you end up with a bike in an aisle that is barely wide enough to walk down which causes no end of problems when people want to get on and off. Sometimes it’s better to tuck yourself out of the way…

DrJ

To complain would involve acknowledging that someone else actually exists, and that the complainant is not the sole occupant of the planet. That ain’t gonna happen in London.

mefty
    Free Member

I don’t see a lot of people standing in the reflection, in fact I see precisely none.

mrsfry
    Free Member

Does that rear tyre look flat to anyone else?

cornholio98
    Free Member

Having commuted via southwest trains for a few years in the past any train after a certain time (around 9) will be a mixture of tired office workers and drunks.
    This guy seems to have hit both options nicely. At a guess he sat down then someone tried to get by so he moved the bike onto the seats and passed out.
    For things I have seen on a late night train this is really not bad..

CountZero

Having spent more than a few hours on the toob over the years, I’d rather have someone keep their bike out of my way and stand myself, than have it stuck in the aisle getting in everyone’s way.
    But maybe that’s just me.

bikebouy
    Free Member

No body seems that bothered in that photo do they.

I’ve seen some pretty angsty jostling on the tube during commuting hotspots over simple things like having a book shoved in someones ear, rucksacks on the backs of folks that won’t stand still smashing folks in the face, and those pull along suitcases kicked and the owner shouted at as they’re occupying space for three.

I’ve also seen some of the most courteous polite human engagements on there too.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

London, nothing 20 mega tonnes wouldn’t fix.

singletrackmind

And we know its not the lady in the red coats bike how exactly?

boblo
    Free Member

Yeah as above. I’ve been shouted at for assaulting someone with the Metro and had a near fisticuffs moment with a fella over where the laptop lids should open to on the table… Just this week, an auld fella and a witch wanted to start a war over window open/window closed on the crap computer thingy into Laaandaan when the temp was hotter than the Sahara.

People are so tightly wound, I couldn’t imagine it not kicking off if bike boy was hogging 3 seats someone actually wanted to sit in.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I’d have asked him to move it or done so myself. Have had people move their suitcase off a seat a number of times.

Rubber_Buccaneer

People actually want to live in this environment?

A city where you can give your bike two seats on the train and no one bats an eyelid? Sounds great….. then there’s all the frottage too 🙂

konabunny
    Free Member

Konabunny, lighten up princess

You’re the one who started slagging off other people’s English and getting agitated about knife wielding assailants…just saying like

MrSmith
    Free Member

People actually want to live in this environment?

around 9-10 million people do.

Kryton57

I wasn’t agitated Konabunny. I just find it annoying that one person, who – and I’m assuming here – has limited or no experience of the environment of which he talks cares to make a wide ranging implication of people whilst clearly not being perfect himself or knowing the facts of the event which he has highlighted. You could also argue that his latter comment “I couldn’t live with being a coward” or by reverse implication “I’d rather top myself than be a coward” is a rather Neanderthal, and non-intelligent implied attitude to dealing with people. That alludes to the character of the OP, whether that was his intention or not, and leads on the implication he’d rather pick an argument with the person involved than step away on the basis of his apparant caveman type attitude.

We can all make our own judgements correctly or incorrectly about that and the referred situation.

MrSmith
    Free Member

that’s the STW hive-mind in a nutshell.
    so much handwringing, consternation and provincial attitudes mixed in with regional chestbeating and insular herd like thinking.

sub editors must treat this place like a copy generator to appease middle England readers with a desire to be shocked and appalled at the same time as being reassured they belong to a group of right minded people.

just need chewkw’s off the wall view and we have a full house.

DrJ

Does that rear tyre look flat to anyone else?

Dunno but I’m pretty sure the tyre logos aren’t properly aligned with the valves. Surprised the other commuters didn’t kick off over that.

toppers3933
    Free Member

Must have been an incredibly slow news day for this to have been classed as a story.

brooess
    Free Member

London is nothing as bad as it’s portrayed. I lived there for 15 years and saw plenty of kindnesses… it depends what you’re looking for IME… but if you’re not very focussed on getting to where you want to get to you’ll not make progress when there’s so many people around you… which gets interpreted by outsiders as rude and aggressive.

That story’s just clickbait – wouldn’t surprise me if it’s made up clickbait…

cheekyboy
    Free Member

He must be pissed his face has gone all blurred

fatbobb
    Free Member

I’m from London and spent most of my life living there (but somehow ended up living so far from my beloved city I can nearly see Wales from my front door… but that’s a another thread…) and have seen things kick off for a lot less than this. That’s staged – no way would he survive for more than five mins like that without someone twatting him. Or if he really is passed out, nicking his bike. More than likely the latter.

mynamesnotbob
    Free Member

Its a story nicked from Facebook, made to make a point to a middle aged aged woman’s group of friends and a lazy intern picked it up. As others have said breathing out a bit much will generally start a fight on the tube, so. Wouldn’t worry about Londoners being unable to stand up for themeselves just yet.

Shame there wasn’t a northerner there to bang on about how industry died 30 years ago and they still can’t be bothered to do something about it and find a new job, that would have got him to move

hammerite
    Free Member

Chances are none/few of the people on the train were Londoners as such (who many are blaming on this thread), they wouldn’t be using such a train to travel around London.. Much more likely that they lived in an outlying town and travel to/from work.

It’s not the most considerate thing to do, but given the bloke sat next tot the bike looked blotto, he probably wasn’t thinking too straight. Rather than being outraged as the news report suggests I’m guessing the other passengers were probably more bemused and thought “bless him, let’s leave him alone”. Chances are he’ll have needed the bike to pedal the long way home after waking up at a station 5 stops past his.

PrinceJohn

This has angered me greatly,” said another user, Matt Devine, while Ant Ludlow said: “That’s the kind of thing that would have made me have a ‘Falling Down’ moment.”

But I still wouldn’t ask him to move the bike.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Soft bunch of Londoners’ is closed to new replies.