Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Baggy shorts with a slimmer fit?
  • glasgowdan
    Free Member

Does anyone make baggy mtb shorts that aren’t so baggy that they catch on stuff all the time? Something with a similar fir as regular jeans, for example?

Fed up of shorts rubbing on frames constantly and crotches catching on saddles.

bob_summers

If you are near a Decathlon, try these. I bought a size smaller but they are stretchy so still comfortable, they fit looser than lycra but still close, don’t snag on the saddle etc. Link to Spanish site but I guess they are available in UK.

http://www.decathlon.es/culotte-5-ancho-corto-hombre-ciclismo-id_8237799.html

steezysix
    Free Member

I’ve had the same issues as you and just ordered a set of the Endura Urban shorts as they seem to fit the bill. Not much info around on them but Ed Oxley had a good review on his site a while ago. Hopefully they’ll arrive tomorrow and I can take them for a test ride!

angeldust
    Free Member

Endura singletrack lite shorts have a relatively close fit (on my bigger than average thighs), especially compared to most regular mtb baggies.

bigjim

Endura somethings, I can’t remember what they are, and they are indestructible too. My Altura baggies are so flappy and catchy they are going to kill me at some point.

Duggan

I got a pair of ‘baggies’ from Edinburgh Bicycle Cooperative that were actually quite slim. The fit/cut is actually so good that I tend to avoid wearing them for mtbing as it seems a waste to trash them so I’ve ended up wearing them walking or slow rides with my g/f which will end up in a pub etc.

No idea what they’re called but they’re The Edinburgh Bike Cooperative’s own make.

mactheknife

Mavic Notch shorts fit your bill, tailored and so goddamn sexy, as am i when i wear them 🙂

granny_ring

My Endura Singletack & Hummvees are slimish fit and most importantly for my skinny pins, both have leg adjusters.

onandon
    Free Member

Mavic stratos when they are in the sale. Too expensive other wise.

Great shorts, very comfy and not too baggy.

deluded
    Free Member

Gore Bike Wear ‘Plaster’ short.

Excellent short – not cheap though.

_tom_
    Free Member

DHB and POC shorts fit well.

Northwind

Royal SP24/7 are un-baggy baggies, and stretchy- very nice.

Jamie
    Free Member

Went through this last year.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/non-baggy-baggy-shorts-baggy

Ended up with some DHB Dynos and very happy.

J273
    Free Member

How long are they Jamie? Do they. Cover the knee.

I’ve got some royal SP24/7 that Northwind recommend .great short ,nice and slim but are just a tad too short.

crush83
    Free Member

Troy Lee designs skyline shorts .

slowoldman

I’m dead skinny. I swore blind I would never be seen dead in baggies. So I have Endura MT500 shorts and 3/4. I’m still alive and looking svelte.

slackalice
    Free Member

<<swoons @ oldman>> 8) 😀

mindmap3
    Free Member

My TLD Ace shorts are good fitting baggies that don’t flap about and get caught on saddles etc. The liner is pretty good too.

robbonzo
    Free Member

Get some Endura MTR shorts, they are slimmer than singletracks, dry really quickly and look Awesomes!

mrmo
    Free Member

might I suggest just getting bib shorts and being done with it. No one looks good cycling, so just wear something that does the job and stop worrying about what you look like.

flyingmonkeycorps

Try Surface as well, their “baggies” are pretty slim fit.

legend
    Free Member

mrmo – Member
    might I suggest just getting bib shorts and being done with it. No one looks good cycling, so just wear something that does the job and stop worrying about what you look like.

This. Bib shorts are awesum if you’ve got to push your bike up a track that’s too steep to ride, they also hold up really well in crashes too 😉

IHN

He has a point you know.

mrmo
    Free Member

This. Bib shorts are awesum if you’ve got to push your bike up a track that’s too steep to ride, they also hold up really well in crashes too

i’ll give you the crashes part, but which happens more crashing or getting hooked up by baggy shorts.

The going up hill part, If tri athletes can run in skin suits I think pushing a bike up a hill isn’t really a problem.

charliemort

Agreed on endura mtr’s.

They are for the “more ambitious” rider so got to be good

dragon
    Free Member

If you just want a basic short, then the DHB Navo is pretty good and cheap. It’s billed as short for commuters but is fine for mtbing. I’ve also used them to play competitive football in and no one said anything untoward.

legend
    Free Member

mrmo – Member
    i’ll give you the crashes part, but which happens more crashing or getting hooked up by baggy shorts.

er, crashing. In many years of riding/racing dh and the like I’ve had very, very few short incidents, but a fair few crashes!

The going up hill part, If tri athletes can run in skin suits I think pushing a bike up a hill isn’t really a problem.

Indeed, but if we’re talking about the right kit for the job, then lycra isn’t the right kit for going for a walk 😉

mrmo
    Free Member

Indeed, but if we’re talking about the right kit for the job, then lycra isn’t the right kit for going for a walk

In that case might I suggest ditching the bike and buying a couple of sticks and a set of decent boots? seems to be all the rage with the ramblers round here. I am sure that there is a market for a hydraulic actuated extending walking stick made of carbon fibre and aluminium, and for the nostalgic market, purple anodising to finish it off.

legend
    Free Member

Why would someone ditch the bike because the track they’re riding is too steep to ride up?

Northwind

mrmo – Member

Crashing! By some huge margin. Not being funny but have you ever actually ridden in baggies? Just, the comment about “doing the job” and this one suggests not.

mrmo
    Free Member

Crashing! By some huge margin. Not being funny but have you ever actually ridden in baggies? Just, the comment about “doing the job” and this one suggests not.

Only when the ground is sodden. too hot, too flappy, too pointless 90% of the time.

YMMV

Why would someone ditch the bike because the track they’re riding is too steep to ride up?

Because if you want to go for a walk in the country go for a walk, if you can’t ride up a hill get fitter and try a bit harder.

legend
    Free Member

I assume you’ve never ridden a DH track then, or even just natural hills without man-made grooming? If it’s all about the trail centre for you then fair enough

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Cheers for all the info, and some pointless typing by mrmo (some hills are too steep for anyone (yes, anyone, including world cup xc racers) to ride up but folks like to push up them and ride down… give it a go).

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

My TLD Skyline are quite slim fit

lunge

I’m going to agree with mrmo, just get some good Lycra bib shorts. You can walk quite happily in them (I’m struggling why anyone would think you can’t really), they are comfortable, don’t sag in the wet, keep you cool in the warm and will not snag on your saddle. For the job in hand they are just better. You may decide not to wear Lycra and that is fine, but they are the best tool for the job.

mrmo
    Free Member

@Legend, i very very rarely ride trail centres, don’t think i have been to one in a couple of years? from experience most tracks you can legally ride are rideable if you try. Most tracks exist to get you from a to b, so have to be passable, both up and down.

From experience i regularly see people walking up perfectly rideable climbs, which simply points to a lack of fitness. The key is attitude, most riders give up before they start.

If your reason to ride is to go downhill fine, but that it no excuse for not trying to ride up hill, laziness and lack of fitness are.

And it doesn’t change the fact that lycra, makes a lot of sense if you intend to ride a bike.

legend
    Free Member

I’m in Scotland, it’s all legal. Most tracks exist to get walkers or sheep from a to b, not bikes. Passable – yes, but not necessarily rideable.

You might see mincers getting off and the merest incline, I see folk stopping when the going gets unrideable.

Considering pro-elite DHers still have to push up hill, I think you need expand your knowledge of what steep and/or technical are.

After all that, I still want clothing that doesn’t evaporate after one crash i.e. suitable for the job.

teasel
    Free Member

Another shout for the Mavic Stratos, though they are bloomin’ expensive for such a lightweight fabric that, in all honesty, reminds me of some Adidas swimming trunks I have.

But yeah, great slim-fitting shorts, superb for summer riding. Beware if you get even slightly porky as the stretch of the material will only go so far.

As you can see from the BR pic, it helps to have a semi if you foresee a poser-type photo opportunity on the horizon…

Jamie
    Free Member

He really likes those shorts…

teasel
    Free Member

🙂

That’s just too darn close for comfort…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Baggy shorts with a slimmer fit?’ is closed to new replies.