Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Baggy High Rollers? (warning: contains tubeless content)
  • jruk
    Free Member

I’ve just tried refitting a folding High Roller 2.35 60a to my Flow EX after patching a nick in the side wall and I can’t get the bugger to seat properly and go up, even with the core taken out. There’s plenty of sealant in there and it went up with a track pump fine last time. It just seems too baggy – what am I missing?

MrGreedy

I had the same issue with exactly the same tyre recently, couldn’t get it to seat despite trying every trick in the book on STW. Mine was pretty well used so I guessed it was just that the bead had stretched over time – no idea if HRs are more susceptible to this than any other tyre. As there’s not much tread left on mine I’ve just popped a tube in until I get round to buying a replacement – to be fair I’ve had my money’s worth out of it.

teethgrinder

Warm it up next to your STW stove for 10 mins to make the bead more pliable. My Chunky Monkey would not seat in the garage when cold until I warmed it up.

mallorcadave
    Free Member

I had the same trouble wit my high rollers as well. I had to get a mate to help flatten the tyre against the rim whist i used my compressor to inflate it. You could use a ratchet strap round the circumference of the tyre. It doesn’t have to be too tight just to compress the centre of the tyre enough to push the beads out towards the rim walls.

BrickMan

Schwalbe knocked out a few batchs of tyres a few years back like this, once worn and they’ve been on and off a few times they will eventually become baggy, but out of the box the schwalbe’s wouldn’t fit anything, literally the loosest tyre I’ve ever seen on a bike.

Only possible to get it to inflate with extreme sized compressor with a large diameter hose directly off the reservoir (where its >21mm pipe), so yeah thankfully they never went down!

A strap around the middle and the wheel in a frame/ wheel stand is the best way to do it without spending hours cursing tubeless

jruk
    Free Member

Glad it’s not just me then. Tried holding it on with zip ties, ran gaffa tape round the outside and the bead just won’t push to the outside of the rim – it’s just too baggy (not great after 6 months…).

Time for a new tyre me thinks. Anyone tried the new tubeless ready exo HR2 2.3s?

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Yup, me. In 650b flavour though.

THE tightest tyre i’ve ever fitted!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Baggy High Rollers? (warning: contains tubeless content)’ is closed to new replies.