Viewing 33 posts - 41 through 73 (of 73 total)
  • Bad Advice, Here on STW?!?
  • nedrapier

This salt nonsense is all marketing BS. If you really knew anything about tasting, pinching, or chemistry, you’d know it’s really all the same stuff. 🙄

:Awaits flaming from Saxa fanbois and welsh rock salt niche-mongers:

rewski
    Free Member

I’m not going to start naming people

just name the product recommendations, then we can choose to agree or not, you did start it.

unklehomered
    Free Member

Is alright, I sometimes poke the internet with a stick when I’m bored at work too… 😉

EDIT: All mass production salt is rubbish, rough crushed sea salt put in natural organic tubes by local natives in the traditional way taught by their ancestors is the only proper salt.

cynic-al
    Free Member

There used to be a great “BS of the week” thread covering this topic, it was barred by the mods…

rewski
    Free Member

bought some salt from the salt flats in normandy once, wow.

d45yth
    Free Member

kudos100 – Member

For technical/wrenching advice it is one of the better sites.

Some of the product recommendations are total nonsense. Quite a few people have no idea what they are talking about, but still offer advice.

Also advice about riding technique is often laughable. Either that or ‘go and see jedi, he walks on water’ as if it is not possible to improve your riding without seeing a coach.

There is a lot of pap, but sift through the crap and there is some useful stuff here.

Someone who speaks sense.

unklehomered – Member

Is alright, I sometimes poke the internet with a stick when I’m bored at work too…

😆

BadlyWiredDog

‘I’ve never ridden XYZ, but…’

‘I’m not a doctor, but…’

‘I’m not a lawyer, but…’

I’m not an expert on the interweb, but I don’t get why people feel the need to chime in on stuff they don’t really know about. It just seems odd. 😐

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member
    There used to be a great “BS of the week” thread covering this topic, it was barred by the mods.

Much like my ill judged attempt at humour earlier. Apologies, no offence meant.

(I should really have put a 🙂 on it, I suppose!)

Nicknoxx
    Free Member

My bugbear is people on any forum replying with ‘this has already been discussed’ or ‘use the search function’. But nothing is worse than people who criticise other posters’ replies without adding content of their own

Hmmm so you snipped my ‘added content’ yet added nothing of your own. 🙂

Jamie
    Free Member

I’m not going to start naming people or pointing to what they’ve said…

[CITATION NEEDED]

yunki
    Free Member

paaah..

all your salts scream of sports direct..

unless you are evaporating the sweat of grammy award winning singer/songwriters to collect your condiment I suggest that you keep your opinion to yourself..

Ben Harper’s salt is quite dry, with a tang of Rocket and is pleasant in a pesto.. whereas Estelle is fruity and rich with pesto undertones and is very nice on a Rocket salad..

I’m really after a sample of Joanne Shenandoah’s excretions at the moment.. I imagine the salt to conjour up memories of fresh spring flower meadows and peach schnapps

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

My salt is made by drying Jens Voigt’s tears of despair.

yunki
    Free Member

very nice for suicide slammers I imagine.. I wouldn’t use his tears of joy to clear the ice off our back step though..

DezB
    Free Member

If I wanted to argue with folk over their recommendations, I would have done it in the original posts. I’m not going to start naming people or pointing to what they’ve said…I should have commented at the time.

I bloody would, if I’d had the gall to start this!

tonyd

(particularly with mud tyres IMHO -trailrakers are rubbish round our way but ace elsewhere in my experience)

A riding buddy and I both bought trailrakers at around the same time. I loved them, he hated them, we ride the same trails at the same time. Clearly he’s wrong, despite being a far better rider.

As for salt:

1) Place delectable (preferably pure) young lady in sauna for 25 minutes on high heat.
    2) Remove and allow to cool
    3) Wipe dried salt from brow and sprinkle on home cooked chips.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I was eating this last week, but I didn’t use it to make a home made isotonic/electrolyte energy drink as I didn’t sweat enough last week in France.

I haven’t seen any mention of i thingy for a few days either… whats going on?

AngusWells

I bought some salt in a box marked 250 grams but when I weighed it at home it was 253 grams. Can I raise a dispute with the shop?

And there’s a bloke down the pub whose uncle knew Ghandi, so he knows a lot about salt.

ampthill

This thread is pointless without atleast 1 clear example

Its does sort of depend on whether you see the world in black and white or shades of grey

In a thread on a photo forum. I totaly contradicted some one on the best way to shoot a panorama.

Thats doesn’t mean that I’m right and he’s wrong its just 2 different opinions

thats whats good about a thread. You get to see the range of opinions. Which is more valuable than 1 single answer, there isn’t 1 single answer

Except on salt.

I always look for high Potassium low sodium, with plenty of iodide. Can’t belive no one has mentioned composition yet. If you don’t know anything anout salt don’t bother posting!!!!!!!!

D0NK

Personal experience is always gonna be contradictive, “what tyres..” is soooo subjective and while “use this, it’s what I bought” isn’t very helpful pick any product and there will be people on here who have had great experiences and plenty others who had a terrible time and will slate the product. (all my superstar pads have been fine)

try to take a consensus

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

It’s advice based on experiences. And people have different experiences. So advice varies. This is not a surprise, is it? Do you believe newspapers as well?

Engage brain filter when reading anything and everything.

Sandwich

Black salt is the niche of choice now.

Spidey humour senses aren’t working today!

flippinheckler
    Free Member

MussEd
    Free Member

The main issues I have(with STW) is when someone asks for an A) or B). Straight choice between 2 things they can’t decide between and someone comes up with C)! And usually D) E)…,

Or adding to threads that have been definitively resolved. Ie when the OP says ‘thanks that’s what I was after!’ and then someone else comes along with ‘what about…?’ irritating.

And emoticons….

And when recommendations on here start a frenzy over particular components I’m after!!!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

There is a lot of good advice and information on STW – they tricky bit is sorting it from the crap

MrSmith
    Free Member

this is the forum that hailed the vert pro as perfect u.k. tyre for a decade 😯

occasionally if you ask a specific question in a niche area outside of cycling you may be able to tap into some good advice.

the nutritional/training advice/theory is generally from the dark ages. just because you have a dusty copy of the joe friel book doesn’t mean you are an expert.

MrSmith
    Free Member

i forgot bike sizing by anecdotal evidence.
    oh and joint/biomechanical/muscular issues.

Jamie
    Free Member

There is a lot of good advice and information on STW – they tricky bit is sorting it from the crap

I find ignoring everything that TJ says, helps with this.*

*I would have put an emotion here to demonstrate I wasn’t being serious, but didn’t want to upset MussEd.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

You can’t say that, Jamie. You’ll get a warning…..Emoticon or no….

MussEd
    Free Member

🙂 first and last time I will ever use one…

Candodavid
    Free Member

650b is where everything is heading

pop-larkin
    Free Member

654b is where it’s going

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Pfft. 649c, FFS!

Viewing 33 posts - 41 through 73 (of 73 total)

The topic ‘Bad Advice, Here on STW?!?’ is closed to new replies.