Bad Advice, Here on STW?!?

Home Forum Bike Forum Bad Advice, Here on STW?!?

Viewing 45 posts - 1 through 45 (of 73 total)
  • Bad Advice, Here on STW?!?
  • Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

Examples??

xcgb

I’ve had pretty good recommendations on here, just gotta take a balanced view

Why do you care so much?

nealglover

Some of the recommendations on here are for poor or inferior products though, things i personally dont like it makes me wonder why some people offer their advice when they obviously have no clue their opinion is different to mine

That sounds more like what you seem to mean ?

xcgb

You mean gems like this?

If you listened to most of the advice on here you would never get fitter, it’s like half the riders I know who haven’t progressed in years but who are going to enter that next event when they lose weight/get fitter etc.

fourbanger

STW is OK for technical advice and avoiding bad products (superstar etc) but recommendations normally go like this:

Q “what such and such for such and such?”

A “use this one. It’s really good. I haven’t compared it to any others, but it’s the one I’m using.”

Advice worth what you paid for it on the whole. Unless you’re asking about something I use, then it’s great.

d45yth

nealglover – Member

Some of the recommendations on here are for poor or inferior products though, things i personally dont like it makes me wonder why some people offer their advice when they obviously have no clue their opinion is different to mine

That sounds more like what you seem to mean ?

Not at all, I’m open to peoples suggestions. I just don’t like it when someone says something is good when it really is not. Bike tyres for example, but that is opening up another can of worms. There are certain products I’ve tried and wouldn’t have given them away to my worst enemy…then I see people recommending the same item on here!

druidh

It does seem that some recommendations are simply ingrained memes. As an example, the tick threads always come up with stuff about smothering them in vaseline or vodka, burning them with a match etc. All medical opinion has now moved on and careful removal (preferably with a tick removal tool) is now the way. It does rather frustrate me to see folk churning out the same old advice.

It does rather frustrate me to see folk churning out the same old advice.

Conti Vert Pros? 😉

Premier Icon GrahamS
    Subscriber

I find the advice on here pretty good on the whole (for bike bits and for life in general).

Pretty much any (interesting) topic gives you a wide variety of opinions and experiences, which I find more useful than one reviewer’s opinion in a magazine.

Premier Icon chakaping
    Subscriber

My advice is to take it all with a pinch of salt.

druidh

Yes CF – I was thinking Conti Vert Pros at the very start of this thread too 🙂

cynic-al

There is some utter crap talked here.

But mostly it’s differences of opinion – which I suspect the OP is confusing with right/wrong – unless he knows EVERYTHING?

FunkyDunc

What type of salt?

AntLockyer

road tyre pressure advice is one example.

But mostly it’s differences of opinion – which I suspect the OP is confusing with right/wrong – unless he knows EVERYTHING?

Any amount of observation would surely make it obvious to you that everyone who has ever posted on STW knows EVERYTHING?

Premier Icon chakaping
    Subscriber

What type of salt?

Saxa is brilliant, use that.

I haven’t tried any other salt though.

nealglover

Not at all, I’m open to peoples suggestions. I just don’t like it when someone says something is good when it really is not. Bike tyres for example, but that is opening up another can of worms. There are certain products I’ve tried and wouldn’t have given them away to my worst enemy…then I see people recommending the same item on here!

That’s pretty much exactly what I said isn’t it ?

What makes your opinion any more valid than theirs.

They like it (whatever it is) and you don’t.

That doesn’t make it good, and it doesn’t make it bad.

Just means you don’t like, and they do.

(unless you are suggesting they are recommending things they know are shite, just out of spite ?)

Nicknoxx

It’s a public forum. People’s bikes, age, riding style, experience, skills, ambitions, ability and location vary, therefore their opinions vary. Just assume nothing you read on here is gospel and you’ll be fine.

My particular bugbear is people starting new threads without checking that the subject has already been discussed.

tyres advice is ‘interesting’ : i think so much of it depends on the mud/roots/etc round your way, (particularly with mud tyres IMHO -trailrakers are rubbish round our way but ace elsewhere in my experience) also the air pressures you put in them, your own weight, use of brakes and suspension settings. What tyre tread you use could be so greatly affected by the all the above: i like to ask people that live/ride locally.

Premier Icon easygirl
    Subscriber

Saxa is rubbish
    I put it on a snail last week and it totally melted it, not using it again, never said on the tin beware this product melts snails

Salt and snails, you say?

I had some for dinner the other day. Sea snails, that is.

Top nommage.

FunkyDunc

Were you going to eat the snail, hence your dissapointment?

hilldodger

it makes me wonder why some people offer their advice when they obviously have no clue.

My internet “rule of thumb” is that soundness of advice is inversely proprotional to post count, and OT posts carry an exponential weighting…..

….empty vessels and all that 😆

slimjim78

about 30psi

scuzz

My particular bugbear is people starting new threads without checking that the subject has already been discussed.

My bugbear is people on any forum replying with ‘this has already been discussed’ or ‘use the search function’. But nothing is worse than people who criticise other posters’ replies without adding content of their own
    😀

Premier Icon Sandwich
    Subscriber

Looking like you have some ishoos capn. You might want to consider winding it back a touch.

scuzz

Looking like you have some ishoos capn. You might want to consider winding it back a touch.

Shh! The more he does it, the more I can cry ‘Teh Ironings!’

deanfbm

I really wouldn’t say it’s restricted to STW. There really does seem to be a LOT of men of a certain age who come up with false notions, impart their notions on others aggressively, then fail to accept that they maybe wrong. These notions then get passed around somehow without question.

I work in a shop, it happens quite often, a customer asks about a product or how something works, or what something does, you begin explaining to customer, then “know it all” chimes in with really bad advice, there’s no stopping them once they’ve started. You wait for them to finish, then you’ve got to find a polite way to explain that “know it all” is chatting shite without causing an awkward situation so that the customer gets good info.

Serving these “know it alls” is a joke too, they ask for advice, then proceed to talk over you for half an hour with no intention of listening to a word you have to say.

Out on group rides too, the amount of wives tales you hear is nuts.

I am gob-smacked all too often by the notions based on nonsense parties favour and impart o so passionately.

ell_tell

Can I be the first to say, Skoda Octavia?

xcgb

Nah mondeos are where its at dont you know nuffink

same could be said for the magazines – there wa a certain FS 650B in a couple of the mags, which i seem to recall gets a 10/10 in one mag (saying it was the best trail bike they had ever ridden) and 5or6/10 in another – i take all recomendations with a pinch of salt, as said previously you can only recomend baised on your own experance, of which some people have good and some have bad (as with any product).

If I see a post to which i dissagree i’ll generally give my point of view.

yunki

it’s like wannabe film critics..

‘oh no that’s shite/great’

usually based on whether or not Bruce Willis is starring… those twunts need a poke in the eye.. get a proper job FFS

Premier Icon woody74
    Subscriber

On STW you are asking peoples opinion on things, so funnily enough it differs. If you then take this as advice then thats your issue. If you think you are getting professional advice on STW for things like dealing with ticks then your an idiot. Ring NHS direct!!

rewski

Bit negative, examples would be useful. I personally think the opposite, here’s a few examples of good recommendations, and I thank you all for your wisdom.

rockshock reverb
    mud x
    spesh control storms
    pedro tyre levers
    endless craft ales/pubs
    exposure flash/flares
    tubeless tips
    local routes
    books – two wheels on my wagon
    films – ride the divide

I generally ignore the Rapha snobs and riding tips, unless it’s from professionals 😉

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

No examples then.
    Pointless.

d45yth

scuzz – My bugbear is people on any forum replying with ‘this has already been discussed’ or ‘use the search function’. But nothing is worse than people who criticise other posters’ replies without adding content of their own

I was making making a statement, I couldn’t care less if it’s been discussed before. I wasn’t really looking for any information as whatever anyone says here doesn’t change anything that’s been said in other threads.
    Most new posts I make are on different forums that have the information/specific topics organised better than STW. (MTBR, BearBones Bikepacking, Bike and Bivi et al…).

kudos100

For technical/wrenching advice it is one of the better sites.

Some of the product recommendations are total nonsense. Quite a few people have no idea what they are talking about, but still offer advice.

Also advice about riding technique is often laughable. Either that or ‘go and see jedi, he walks on water’ as if it is not possible to improve your riding without seeing a coach.

There is a lot of pap, but sift through the crap and there is some useful stuff here.

d45yth

DezB – Member

No examples then.
    Pointless.

DesB, If I wanted to argue with folk over their recommendations, I would have done it in the original posts. I’m not going to start naming people or pointing to what they’ve said…I should have commented at the time.

d45yth

I’m constantly amazed at the amount of bad advice/recommendations on here! How many of you use the replies on here to help you make an informed decision or just buy/try something because so and so said so?
    I know we all have our own opinions and ideas on what products are good and bad. Some of the recommendations on here are for poor or inferior products though, it makes me wonder why some people offer their advice when they obviously have no clue. 🙄

I realise I’m setting myself up for some abuse here but I stand by what I say.

Premier Icon nedrapier
    Subscriber

This salt nonsense is all marketing BS. If you really knew anything about tasting, pinching, or chemistry, you’d know it’s really all the same stuff. 🙄

:Awaits flaming from Saxa fanbois and welsh rock salt niche-mongers:

rewski

I’m not going to start naming people

just name the product recommendations, then we can choose to agree or not, you did start it.

Premier Icon unklehomered
    Subscriber

Is alright, I sometimes poke the internet with a stick when I’m bored at work too… 😉

EDIT: All mass production salt is rubbish, rough crushed sea salt put in natural organic tubes by local natives in the traditional way taught by their ancestors is the only proper salt.

cynic-al

There used to be a great “BS of the week” thread covering this topic, it was barred by the mods…

rewski

bought some salt from the salt flats in normandy once, wow.

Viewing 45 posts - 1 through 45 (of 73 total)

The topic ‘Bad Advice, Here on STW?!?’ is closed to new replies.