Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Back pain from biking. Any advice pls
  • Have been to A&E with it and been told to just rest and it should go away but that was 3 days ago and I am worried/stir crazy

Went on on the road bike on boxing day and did about 2.5hrs of mostly hilly terrain, went for a run later in the day felt fine.

Drove to Llandegla the day after, rode up the climb and still felt fine but as I started down the 1st bit of singletrack downhill (smooth but rolling and non technical) I felt a “twinge” in my lower back down by my pelvis. Stretched it out (on the bike) and carried on for another 10 min or so to the top of the 1st bit of black trail

Started down this but at the 1st hollow had to stop and could not lift my leg over the bike to get off and was in a lot of pain, rode back to the centre and made my way home then got my wife to take me to the hospital

The pain is low down in my back ans mostly on the right side between my spine and hip, the most painful thing I can try and do is put my chin on my chest. It was obviously brought on by the bike but I have no idea why

Anyone had anything similar and when will it go away?

I feel like a cripple

simondbarnes

Anti inflams (diclofenac) & painkillers (codeine) usually sorts mine in a few days.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

my back goes out from time to time, generally stress induced. it went on me surfing once and i had to crawl up the beach pretty much.

providing yours is muscle related like mine, ibuprofen is what you need both pills and gel (tesco do a good gel) to get the swelling down. if mine is really tweaky i may resort to a neoprene belt (argos) to keep it warm. used tens once, that was quite good.

have a google, there are some good stretches for this.

but basically just rest and take it easy.

allmountainventure
    Free Member

Yep. I had this sort of thing, with a niggling lower back for years before.

In my case it was my hamstrings getting shorter. They pull on your pelvis and tilt it, the muscles and tendons in your lower back tighten up trying to compensate. It all ended in painful misery like you describe.

If its really bad go to a chiropractor and get it properly sorted out. Maybe you have spinal misalignment, one shorter leg from a tilted pelvis and so on.

Do some stretching to help stop it in the first place.

EDIT. Some one I know over did it on the diclofenac trying to sort out a bad back, ended up with a perforated intestine and almost died.. With anti inflams tread carefully.

teasel
    Free Member

Sounds like you’ve damaged your lumbar. Painkillers will help to manage the pain but will also mask it, so bear that in mind. Rest is the best thing and it can take a good couple of weeks before it gets back to proper working order and even then it can ‘twang’ at the slightest provocation.

Mine is damaged at the moment and trying to ride and split wood has simply prolonged the healing process. If I didn’t have to do these activities I wouldn’t and rest is now high on my agenda…

Have been given Diclofenac by A&E and have got Co Codamol in the house but neither seems to be touching it

Looks like the cure is patience, not big on my list of qualities (a couple of weeks, sheesh)

Thanks folks

yowser
    Free Member

I’m with allmountainventure. Defo muscle related and rest Is the best cure.
    Sounds daft but get the misses to massage the buttock area. Will ease the pressure on the lower back but will hurt like f@@k! Don’t rest up too much though as this can lengthen your recovery!

teasel
    Free Member

I was given Diazepam for the spasm and to help get a little bit of sleep alongside some Meloxicam for painkilling. I avoided Tramadol because I didn’t want to end up doped-up to the eyeballs.

Maybe take something to protect your stomach when taking the Meloxicam or similar, if you go down that route. Docs are usually quite accomodating where pain is concerned IME…

boxfish
    Free Member

Stretching is always good but don’t overdo it.

If possible, try alternating a heat pack/ice pack on the affected area. It may help improve ciculation to the affected area and reduce inflammation. I find this effective when my lower back pain/sciatic pain kicks off.

massage the buttock area. Will ease the pressure on the lower back but will hurt like f@@k!

Thats the wierd thing, no amount of poking or prodding hurts, only trying to move. I will let her keep rubbing at it though

yowser
    Free Member

Well you gotta try these things hey!

jeb

If possible, loan another bike for a couple of rides, and also experinment with stem, saddle position, see if that does the job.

Bike is well used in its current set up and have happily ridden 60 miles+

Road bike saddle may be a bit high

talltom
    Free Member

definitely sounds like good dose of sciatica – nerve gets trapped passing, I think, L5 vertebrae. Combination of rest and stretching – Can’t overstate the value of a good sports physio. Don’t get active too soon I was off work for 7 weeks first time round. Ask GP for amitriptyline – nerve pain relief, only take 1 at night but helps with rest and means morning stretches were a bit easier – Good Luck!!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Back pain from biking. Any advice pls’ is closed to new replies.