Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)
  • Ayrshire MTB trails – Proposed
  • gcubed
    Free Member

Glenafton Bike Club in Ayrshire are looking to gain funding from various sources for new trails in the New Cumnock and Auchinleck areas, In New Cumnock the proposed site is near Afton Reservoir ,we are looking to have a selection of graded trails here similar to some of the 7 Stanes trail centres , over near Auchinleck we are looking to have a smaller site more along the line of Lee Quarry , the site is currently an old spoil bing from the old Barony Colliery and would need to be completely man-made .This would give riders another site to ride in the area with the emphasis on skills and ideal if you just want to session sections over and over again. We will be carrying out a feasibility study for the trails and this is where you all come in . We need to know if there is enough demand for these type of trails in the area , we have funding for the study so now we need feedback, input from local riders and those from further afield. Please let us know what you all think , your support and feedback would be appreciated.

burnsybhoy
    Free Member

Big thumbs up from me as I’m local to this area.

AyrshireRossco
    Free Member

Thumbs up from myself and no doubt a good load of my mates too.

Although it’s good to have the 7 Stanes not too far away, it still costs a fortune on diesel if you want to ride these trails regularly, as they’re 1-2hrs+ away.

Something nearby would defo suit riders from Ayr, Killie and close to the south side of Glasgow.

Let’s get buildin’..!!

Trekster

Put this up on other sites
    Trailscotland
    Mtbe forum
    Bikeradarmtbe
    Bike magic

Thumbs up frae me, good luck.

Have you got someone to do you a web site people could respond to?

Johnbot
    Free Member

Go for it, I’m in Glasgow and would travel if there was something there.

gcubed
    Free Member

Thanks for quick response, trekster – will put listing on those other sites as soon as I can.Thanks . Kinda thought there would be good support for new trails in this area. Keep it coming 😀

althepal

If it was worth the travel myself and my friends would prob visit a least a coupla times a year..

craa22uk

top plan, being able to build on a bing sounds good, don’t forget to plan a pump track

moonsaballoon

Sounds good , i would travel from paisley for something like that

gcubed
    Free Member

althepal – Where abouts are you in the UK ? The more folk we get positive feedback from outwith the area the better chance we have of the project taking off.

pottsathome
    Free Member

Sounds good am down at drumlanrig so I would defo ride it. My mates from Ayr and mauchline would love it aswell

seosamh77
    Free Member

Good train links. Imo if you are doing it should be building a ring trail that takes in drumlanrig ae mabie and possible kirroughtree. That is something that would be more desireable for me. Right on the trails from glasgo in a hour would be great. Make the link up trail red and smaller greens and blues in auchinleck and new cumnock. Could talk to scotrail about more capacity on the train.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Actually not needing to book the bike on the train is a big advantage too. Loads of capacity on those trains.

gordimhor

I come form Ayr but stay in falkirk i would definitely visit the trails two or three times a year.Good luck 😀

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

gcubed, That’s great to hear. I’m in Prestwick, and ride with Walkers cc in Kilmaurs, I’ll get this posted up on our forum, the more the better.

I’m constantly harping on about the potential for mountain biking in the New Cumnock/Dalmellington/Loch Doon area, such a huge, rugged area with bu66er all in it, and with all the unemployment and money that should be available from the likes of the minerals trust, really is a no brainer for the area.

Best of luck mate, I, and many others from our club would be willing to do all we can to help.

Greg.

gcubed
    Free Member

Just back from a wee meeting with the Barony A – Frame trust , this is the restored winding wheel monument site which stands on the grounds of the Barony Colliery . They are keen for such trails to be developed and indeed have told me of a potential other site in the area. Yes , please post up on Walkers site as we need all the help we can get. It all helps with the studies results. Cheers

mrplow
    Free Member

Would definately go there is the trails were wll designed and offered a good mix of challenge and fun. I’m Glasgow based.

Good luck.

andrewni
    Free Member

I’m from NI, would be very handy for me off the Troon boat. I generally head to Scotland once or twice a year for the sole purpose of mtb’ing. I also sneak the bike in the car lots more when I’m over working. There’s enough MTb tourists heading to the 7 stanes to justify stenaline doing a daytrip MTb rate but youre normally limited to kirroughtree, mabie etc unless it’s right in the middle of summer when you can get to glentress and back in a day. Alternatives within easy reach of the boat would get plenty of Irish visitors.

owenfackrell
    Free Member

I would use such a facility as my farther in law lives in Darvel and its a trip to the 7 stains from him.

moraycup

Another big thumbs up from me. Live in Ayr and would be perfect for midweek rides.

Good luck.

stevie750

I’m south side Glasgow so Auchinleck only 30mins away so would use it for sure

iainc

sounds great – also Glasgow (well East Kilbride) so would be handy.

I have also posted to GMBC site

shieldsmtb
    Free Member

can’t see the train links being much use for new cumnock , as the proposed site at the dam is roughlhy 5 mile from the train station. all up hill

gcubed
    Free Member

Thanks for all the positive responses. If anyone wants to list on any other forums please do , much appreciated. Let me know what sites you list them on so I can view them.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

can’t see the train links being much use for new cumnock , as the proposed site at the dam is roughlhy 5 mile from the train station. all up hill

POSTED 10 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

And there’s about 3 trains a week!

shieldsmtb
    Free Member

na there’s a few trains it the main line to carlisle , but it miles to the dam , by time you pedalled there you’d be **** and need to turn back . you pick up a fair bit o speed coming back doon but watch out for the sheep

exupmonkey
    Free Member

Dumbarton for me, really hope this gets of the ground!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

na there’s a few trains it the main line to carlisle , but it miles to the dam , by time you pedalled there you’d be **** and need to turn back . you pick up a fair bit o speed coming back doon but watch out for the sheep

Know that road well, My Granny, bless her heart, lived in one of the cottages right at the start. I have great memories of playing there when I was a wee yin!. ‘You stay away from that afton!!!’ – Of course, a river out the back garden was the first place you headed to at that age!.

gcubed, Is there any decent riding up by windy standard, and the reservoir at the moment? I’ve been meaning to get up there.

mattr
    Free Member

Glasgow southside. Could see myself as a regular user if the trails were good.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

I would use it for sure, just a short trip from Dumfries.

Yes even when we have the best in the world on your door step its nice to have a change now and then!!

Best mate is from Killi so would be a great place to meet up.

shieldsmtb
    Free Member

to nobeerinthefridge , your gran must have stayed in afton road ? i used to stay in lochbrowan cres .

and stevewhyte the best on your doorstep ? you stay in dunfries 😕 not the alps or canada

BoardinBob

Not exactly related, but if I’ve been heading to Drumlanrig and I’ve gone down through Ayrshire instead of the M74, I’ve passed a couple of guys on DH bikes with pressure suits and full facers around the Mauchline area. They were pushing the bikes along the grass verge. I’ve seen them a couple of times now. Any ideas where they’re likely to be heading?

desboy3
    Free Member

This sounds really good as I live in Ayr. Be well up for contributing time and energy to help if I could and this gets off the ground. As Nobeer said lets keep this going and see what can be made happen! Best of luck!

shieldsmtb
    Free Member

to boardinbob ,ha haa thats me ! give me a peep next and i’ll show you 😉

gcubed
    Free Member

Keep it coming , any offers of labour , supplies and help will be greatly appreciated when the time comes.It won’t happen tomorrow, mores the pity but hopefully the powers that be won’t drag there heels and we get to build the trails . 😈

Alcopop
    Free Member

Im in Mauchline so this would be great,have mates in Glasgow who would travel down
    what site near Afton Reservoir ?
    Keen to help out when the time comes

bionicwoman
    Free Member

sounds great, my family are all in ayrshire so whenever I come up from down in england tend to have to use 7staines would be good to do some ayrshire ridin, good luck!!

kevj
    Free Member

I holiday up that way every few years so these trails would be even more of a pull factor for me. Good luck!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

shieldsmtb – Member

to nobeerinthefridge , your gran must have stayed in afton road ?

Sure did. Was a great playground for a wee boy!.

shieldsmtb
    Free Member

has anything been marked out over how much area there is to play with ?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘Ayrshire MTB trails – Proposed’ is closed to new replies.