Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)
  • Awesome California Trip….with a few pics
  • ltheisinger
    Free Member

Some of you may be interested, some may not….but I thought I would post a quick little run down of probably the most awesome time riding I have ever had!

Last year I had a pretty bad MTB accident which put me in a cast and on crutches for 6 months, so during this time I clearly got bored! Born was the trip to California!

I am thinking of writing an article and seeing whether any of the MTB magazines would be interested (in the interests of those who might want to plan a similar lifetime trip??)….but I’m not sure anyone would be interested? Anyway, here are the highlights of the trip…..

First stop – Marin County, Fairfax to be precise. Through STW I was contacted by someone who can only be described as an MTB Legend….. Charlie Kelly, anyway, one thing led to another and he said if I ever made it over to let him know, so I did and I got the surprise of a lifetime when I actually went to meet with him at the Java Hut in Fairfax – I got two legends for the price of one! So who was the other guide of the day….. Joe Breeze, yes Joe Breeze! So here we are in Marin – just about to ride Tamarancho & THE ‘Repack’! How does it get better than that?

At the start line to ‘the Repack’…

At the finish line of ‘the repack’…

After our ride in Marin and the experience of Tamarancho what could come next?

Downieville is what happened next – Dropping 5,000 vertical feet in 17 miles from Packer Saddle to Downieville, the Downieville Downhill is the longest and most demanding downhill mountain bike race in the nation. This prestigious race course follows the paths of the Sunrise Trail, Butcher Ranch Trail, Third Divide Trail and First Divide Trail. It’s big, it’s bad and it’s beautiful.

At the top (Sunrise Trail)….

Do you think the trail must have been dusty??

As much as we would have stayed here for the rest of our lives,it was time to move on….Oh ok…. Lake Tahoe it is then!

On the Flume trail – The half mile of climbing past Snow Valley is where you become friendly with that shiny little granny gear on your mountain bike. You start the ride at 7000′ and climb to 8157′ giving you only 1100′ to climb so take your time and savor these ascents as they are the only ones you’ll do all day!

The bikes have taken quite a hammering already, so time for a bit of servicing before the next destination…

That’ll be Mammoth Mountain then!

And at height (11,500′) it was hard to breath…

We really did need a rest at the end of the day!

The furthest peak you can see is where you start your joy!

A quick stop off for a night out….Las Vegas (oh yeah! and to be scared the s**t out of on the Stratosphere!)

View from the top….

The scared bit!

That’s enough of that….off to LA to ride Aliso Canyon!

Caught on the run after making my mate Chris scream like a little girl by resting by our bikes after the ride…..a “RATTLER”!

Then it was a couple of days R & R – visits to Knotts Berry Farm & Universal Studio’s before our final ride in Santa Cruz….

[img]http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs684.snc4/62465_483071685983_574525983_6685631_8371944_n.jpg[/img]

Let the packing for home begin….

But not without nipping for a look around the Santa Cruz factory eh!! Thanks to Ryan how spent a few hours showing us around and of course for the beer!! Mmmmm…..

[img]http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs661.snc4/60161_483072090983_574525983_6685660_4347319_n.jpg[/img]

Well that’s if now! You’re probably bored anyway!

wwaswas

Fantastic 🙂

Houns

A mountain bikers dream holiday? I’m actually very jealous!

It’s RepackRider who post’s on here isn’t it? IMO his posts don’t quite get the appreciation i feel they deserve

Great pics, thanks for sharing

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Fantastic!

I’m deeply, madly jealous of you!

I’ve been to Durango and Moab, and I need to get back to the USA again soon, and this isn’t helping my bank balance, showing pics like that…! 🙂

Thanks for sharing 😀

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Charlie and Joe are legends, and really nice guys to boot! Thanks for sharing that and making me very jealous indeed!

ltheisinger
    Free Member

It’s RepackRider who post’s on here isn’t it? IMO his posts don’t quite get the appreciation i feel they deserve

It is the very same RepackRider and I am sure if people really knew who he was and his involvement along with Joe Breeze & Gary Fisher in what we know as mountain biking today, then I think it would be VERY different!

No problem sharing….the problem is it just makes me want to go back myself! Mmmmm….maybe I will!

ltheisinger
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart – Member

Charlie and Joe are legends, and really nice guys to boot! Thanks for sharing that and making me very jealous indeed!

EVERYTHING you say is true! They are legends and FANTASTIC GUYS!

Bregante

Thanks for posting that. Absolutely awesome!

peteimpreza

“PeterPoddy – Member
    Fantastic!

I’m deeply, madly jealous of you”

It was those Pikes that made the trip!! 😀

Totally awesome dude!!!

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Wow.

Simply WOW.

I’m so, so jealous! Nice to hear RepackRider is as cool in the flesh as he is online 🙂

peteimpreza

Looks like my old Pikes just had the MTB trip of a lifetime.

ltheisinger
    Free Member

Yes mate – Your Pikes are on the White SC Heckler (my mates bike!) that is in shown in a couple of the pics! Took me a few minutes there to catch on what you were on about! They performed excellent buddy!

RealMan
    Free Member

That looks AMAZING.

Jealous as ****

mamadirt
    Free Member

Wow!!! What a trip! Those pics made me smile 😀

peteimpreza

Well i have just gone green from head to tail.

Chapeau mon amis, chapeau!!

ltheisinger
    Free Member

peteimpreza – Member

Well i have just gone green from head to tail.

Chapeau mon amis, chapeau!!

DarrenH

Excellent pics, we can only dream…
    Itheisinger, are you riding a heckler btw?
    You’ll have to forgive me, I’m on a santa cruz love fest at the moment! 🙂

saleem
    Free Member

One can only dream, fair play to you for going and doing it, the pics are great.

ltheisinger
    Free Member

DarrenH – Member

Excellent pics, we can only dream…
    Itheisinger, are you riding a heckler btw?
    You’ll have to forgive me, I’m on a santa cruz love fest at the moment!

Yes mate – the last 3 bikes have all been SC, but the black Heckler in the pics is mine. Love it!

cynic-al
    Free Member

I love California

ltheisinger
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member

I love California

…so do i!

ton

fantastic…………you lucky sod’s 8)

Bunnyhop

Indeed a trip of a life time. Yes I think you should write a piece about the holiday and send it into Single Track Magazine, with some of those fantastic photos.

I always have a little smile on face when reading RepackRider’s posts, as I know who he is and his history.

California is where I met my husband many years ago (at Lake Tahoe), so it holds very special memories for us.

ltheisinger
    Free Member

Bunnyhop – Member

Indeed a trip of a life time. Yes I think you should write a piece about the holiday and send it into Single Track Magazine, with some of those fantastic photos.

I always have a little smile on face when reading RepackRider’s posts, as I know who he is and his history.

California is where I met my husband many years ago (at Lake Tahoe), so it holds very special memories for us.

Thank you and I’m glad we could rekindle some of those memories! 🙂

Stinky-Pete
    Free Member

No accidents then?
    Can’t wait to see the videos.
    What a totally awesome trip Dudes.
    Total respect.

tang
    Free Member

now heres a thread that genuinely deserves awesome in the title.

SiB
    Free Member

10 of us rode the Pacific Coast Highway from San Fransisco to LA earlier this year on retro mb’s……the views and the riding were fantastic but your California experience looks out of this world, i’m a tad jealous!

DeeJay
    Free Member

Fab-u-lous – and I was NOT bored 😯

Creg

Add me to that list of jealous individuals.

Looks like a fantastic trip, some great photos too.

Would love to do something like that

Russell96

Git! whatta trip, I’m seriously jealous. Decided I’m going to take my cousins offer up to go visit him in the Pacific NW.

scaredypants

Aliso Cyn – as in Laguna Niguel ?

Was it a good ride ?

(I go out near there on hols every summer but haven’t done that park – you were very near to a great route that I do always ride, don’t suppose you did San Juan or Los Pinos up the Ortega highway ?)

[edit] “Ossum!” by the way

grumm
    Free Member

Last year I had a pretty bad MTB accident which put me in a cast and on crutches for 6 months

That’s awesome to hear – good for you. Very jealous!

spacecadett
    Free Member

Wow, what a trip. I bet you had the time of your life. I’m going to California next August for my honeymoon & hope to squeeze in a bit of riding (as much as I can get away with anyway).

RepackRider
    Free Member

2retro4u
    Marin County, Cali

Late on this because I’m in a different time zone. I was waiting for Leon to introduce the subject. Thanks for the kind words.

Leon and Chris showed up for their ride so late in the day that Joe was the only person I could find who hadn’t already gone out. We took the boys on as much of a ride as they were game for in the time allotted. Total distance might have been fifteen miles, but they were not easily earned.

Joe and I had the “home field advantage” of knowing exactly how far it was to the top of every climb. We took them up Iron Springs Road to the Alchemist Trail, took that to the Goldman Trail, then Serpentine, Wagon Wheel, B-17 and B-17 Extension trails out the other side of Tamarancho.

Along the way we passed “The Rock.” Joe cleaned it, but no one else did. It seems like everyone who ever cleaned The Rock has the video on YouTube.

On Wagon Wheel one of the boys had his first close look at a vulture, a common sight here as they glide on the thermals close to the hills, and shouted, “What is that enormous black bird?”

Then the climb that tested their stamina, to an elevation of just over 1500 feet on a warm afternoon. Did I hear a few complaints on the climbs? Must have been the coyotes. That’s why they put those gears on the bikes.

I hope the boys came away from their ride down Repack with a little insight into why it was such a great test then and still is now. Leon should have video from his helmet camera, and I look forward to the YouTube post.

A familiar ride is more enjoyable when you ride with someone discovering it for the first time. Leon and Chris were great company, so let me thank them here for joining us.

tails
    Free Member

“What is that enormous black bird?”

😆

stanfree
    Free Member

Wow trip of a lifetime , Thanks for sharing.

Diawl
    Free Member

Excellent. Food for thought indeed.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

California is the one place I’ve been to in the States where I thought “hmmm yeah I could live here”.

ltheisinger
    Free Member

scaredypants – Member

Aliso Cyn – as in Laguna Niguel ?

Was it a good ride ?

Yes it was Laguna Niguel & yes it was great! We got show up to ‘the top of the World’ by a guy called James who we met in the car park before heading off and then came down ‘Rock it’! Great Ride!

Unfortunately we didn’t get chance to do San Juan, but there always next time!!!! 😀 I heard so many good things about San Juan, but just ran out of time in LA.

ltheisinger
    Free Member

Repack Rider – Member

2retro4u
    Marin County, Cali

Late on this because I’m in a different time zone. I was waiting for Leon to introduce the subject. Thanks for the kind words.

Leon and Chris showed up for their ride so late in the day that Joe was the only person I could find who hadn’t already gone out. We took the boys on as much of a ride as they were game for in the time allotted. Total distance might have been fifteen miles, but they were not easily earned.

Joe and I had the “home field advantage” of knowing exactly how far it was to the top of every climb. We took them up Iron Springs Road to the Alchemist Trail, took that to the Goldman Trail, then Serpentine, Wagon Wheel, B-17 and B-17 Extension trails out the other side of Tamarancho.

Along the way we passed “The Rock.” Joe cleaned it, but no one else did. It seems like everyone who ever cleaned The Rock has the video on YouTube.

On Wagon Wheel one of the boys had his first close look at a vulture, a common sight here as they glide on the thermals close to the hills, and shouted, “What is that enormous black bird?”

Then the climb that tested their stamina, to an elevation of just over 1500 feet on a warm afternoon. Did I hear a few complaints on the climbs? Must have been the coyotes. That’s why they put those gears on the bikes.

I hope the boys came away from their ride down Repack with a little insight into why it was such a great test then and still is now. Leon should have video from his helmet camera, and I look forward to the YouTube post.

A familiar ride is more enjoyable when you ride with someone discovering it for the first time. Leon and Chris were great company, so let me thank them here for joining us.

Charlie – thanks very much for the description of our ride – there was no way that I would have remembered all that!

No worries on the kind words – you guys couldn’t have made our ride in Tamarancho and our holiday any more special – we really appreciated that!

The videos need a bit of work (i.e. editing), but plan to do them this weekend, at which point I’ll post the links here!

Cheers again Charlie – you’re a legend!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘Awesome California Trip….with a few pics’ is closed to new replies.