Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Aviemore Advice wanted please!!!
  • groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Hey all,

Have booked 7 days up in Aviemore for myself and my girlfriend in July. Just planning a rough itinerary now to include some cycling and various other activities.

Cycling wise I have planned 3 rides but am unsure where to go! My girlfriend likes smooth flowing stuff( Think GT Blue/Red) so I thought a trip to Laggan Wolftraxx would be good.

Then I think the main options are Pitlochrie, Loch an Eilein or Rothiemurcus estate trails. Basing all this on what I have read on here so there could be lots more options I am not thinking about-can anyone fill me in on those above or on others!? How difficult are they, how long can teh routes be made?

For the other activities I am planning some rafting, climbing, maybe quad biking and some walking (again not sure where would be best to go for the walks!)

If anyone can offer a bit of advice about the trails or area in general feel free!

Cheers

Will

marty
    Free Member

go to Bothy Bikes and pick up some Bike Maps.

mikejd

From Bothie Bikes you can ride around Loch An Eilein then head off through Rothiemurchus past Picadilly to Loch Morlich then up to Badaguish Outdoor Centre towards An Sluggan and there is a lot of single track behind the Centre. Some is quite technical and steep. Then return the same way. Should take a couple of hours depending how much time you spend at Badaguish. Good maps from Bothie bikes.

Mrtrotter
    Free Member

There’s about 3 routes round Avimore in that little Scotland MTB guidebook by Andy Mcandlish?. The one round Rothimurcus estate is great for folks who like it flat/gently undulating and you can make it as long as yu want as the trails link up. It’s also a good place for a quick blast or a nice walk. Was up there a month ago with partner who usually does Blue routes and she liked it. The Glenfeshie one in the book is basically a big loop involving a huge slog of a climb and then a superb bit of downhill (although I missed a turn off on the tops and had to bag a munroe to see where I was). Perhaps best avoided on your trip? Didn’t get round to visiting Laggan but it ooks good and you can pickup route maps from the tourist info in Avimore. Looks like theres a climb and then different graded downhill runs.

anjs
    Free Member

oh hope you like midges.

aviemoron
    Free Member

Get into Bothy Bikes or Fat Tread Bikes and quiz the guys for detailed route advice. The trails around Loch an Eilein out to either Loch Morlich / Feshiebridge are lovely and mellow – visit Inshriach Nursery Cafe for good coffee n cake!
    For water stuff contact G2 Outdoor (nr Fat Treads) great guides for rafting / canyoning.
    Quad biking see info at Rothiemurchus visitor centre, walking – everywhere good!But the hill behind Aviemore (Craigellachie)is a wee gem.
    Wet weather climbing get along to the indoor climbing wall (Extreme Dream) again nr Fat Treads.
    Enjoy.

13thfloormonk

Inshriach Forest has a maze of great, technical rooty trails, pretty sure i could spend an entire day riding there at least. I would get some directions from bothy bikes to the centre of the trails there, then just follow your nose, you can do lots of singletrack descents onto the main fireroad climb and do lots of loops.

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Thanks for all the info guys, thats really helped!

Any idea about nighttime-any nice places to check out for food etc?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Aviemore Advice wanted please!!!’ is closed to new replies.