Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Avid Elixer 5 bite point / pad wear adjustment
  • Sqwubbsy
    Free Member

Hi.

Is there any way to adjust the bite point on Avid Elixer 5’s?

I’ve just bought a set from on-one and you have to pull the lever quite a way before the front one makes contact with the rotor. I would have thought that it would self adjust somehow as it will only get worse as the pads wear. I’ve not been out for a proper ride with them yet but just wondered if there was something I could do before I head out.

Thanks.

frogstomp

Nope.. they should auto-adjust to a suitable distance from the disc.

If they are newly fitted you may have to pump the brakes a few times for them to initially adjust. Also, make sure that both pistons are being pushed out at a similar rate – if not: pump them out a bit (without pads in), smear a bit of brake fluid around the edge of the piston and then push them back in. Repeat until the move freely..

Sqwubbsy
    Free Member

Cheers. I’ll give that a go.

I’ll need to shorted the hoses so hopefully a bleed will help to.

coatesy
    Free Member

Was just going to say that they come with sticky pistons and a need to bleed. I’d suggest using silicone oil(Hunters, from plumbers suppliers is good) as a piston lube, working it in well by pushing the pistons in and out. Spend a good bit of time bleeding them (just when you think you’ve sucked all the air out, carry on and you’ll probably get to suck a lot more)and you’ll end up with a surprisingly good feeling brake, especially when compared to how they feel straight out of the box.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Avid Elixer 5 bite point / pad wear adjustment’ is closed to new replies.