Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Avid brakes rubbing
  • rcmark71
    Free Member

Anyone got any suggestions on how to stop my brakes rubbing? I’ve took my juicy 3’s off my old frame (i/s bracket?) and put them on my new frame (post mount/no bracket?). I’ve tried to centre them by loosening bolts and pulling lever and re-tightening but can’t lose the rubbing/drag. Any suggestions?

weirdnumber
    Free Member

I do the loosen then squeeze the brake thing to get them in the ball park. Then I spin the wheel in the direction of travel, adjust them by hand and tighten bit by bit as the wheel spins. Quick and easy, just mind your knuckles.

rcmark71
    Free Member

Thanks ‘weird number’. I’ll give it a try.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

just mind your knuckles.

Agreed! I’ve chopped the end of my index finger off by getting it caught in a spinning rotor. It bloody hurt to say the least!

rcmark71
    Free Member

Nasty stuff ‘getonyourbike’. Think I’ll just put up with a little bit of brake rub! Lol

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Make sure the piston isn’t seized or corroded too.

weirdnumber
    Free Member

You don’t have to spin your wheel fast enough to remove a finger! Just fast enough to listen for rub.

_tom_
    Free Member

Worth checking the pistons, I always had problems with my Juicy 5s rubbing til I replaced the pistons and regreased with red rubber grease.

epicyclo

It’s also worth checking your disk hasn’t got a warp in it.

Easy enough to straighten.

stumpy01

Sometimes you just need to reset the pistons – so push them back with either the proper pad spacer tool or a plastic tyre lever or something.

The pistons should move out evenly, but often don’t with Avid brakes (particularly Juicys in my experience).

Even if they don’t move out evenly, resetting the pistons and starting the set-up from there can often get them running rub free for quite a while.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Avid brakes rubbing’ is closed to new replies.