Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Avid 3's – anygood ?
  • TheSlider
    Free Member

Going cheap at Chain Reaction, would they be better AND lighter than my Hayes' Soles ? Thinking about the 160's BUT that 203 sounds good on the back…

geoffj

They are much better than Hayes soles, because they use pistons from both sides as opposed to just 1 on the soles.

You put the larger rotor on the front – check your fork will accept a 203 without affecting the warranty.

bassspine
    Free Member

I like juicy 3s, they are very different from Hayes though. If you like the way Hayes slam the door in your face you'll probably hate the way juicys close it carefully…

Ewan
    Free Member

Juicy threes are very good. Bit heavy but work just as well as the 5s or 7s.

stevomcd
    Free Member

Much better than Hayes Soles, but so is just about anything (I'd rather jam my foot under the fork arch…)

Juicy's are good brakes when they're working, but they're the worst-performing brakes we see for heat tolerance.

grumm
    Free Member

My juicy 3 SLs were fine doing Megavalanche – didn't fade much. That's with big rotors but I weigh 16 stone.

monkeychild
    Free Member

Hayes Sole are awfulllllllllll I binned them off my Genesis io and got some juicy 5s. I run juicy 3s with a 180 rotor on my hookooekoo and they're brilliant plenty of stopping power for me 🙂

Baldysquirt

The slider, I'll be selling my Juicy 3s off my prophet when I get back from my hols in a couple of weeks. They're 100% new, never used, but have obviously been fitted to a bike. You can get them for £90 both ends from CRC (or £100 if you go for both 160mm). I'll do them for you for £75 posted. How does that sound? PM me on my email and I'll get in touch when I get back.

Baldysquirt

Sorry, forgot to say – 180mm front and 160mm rear rotors.

stinker
    Free Member

Personally I changed my Juicy 3's to Hayes 9's (also a good price on CRC at the mo!). If you are a big rider (I'm 6'2 and 105kg) I found the juicy 3's a little lacking in confidence, whereas the difference when I put HFX9's on was awesome. I'm very happy with my Hayes and will not be putting my 3's back on anytime soon. Just my expereince mate. 🙂

z1ppy

hayes 9's are a great price but you still need adapter and disc ontop, hense why the Juicy 3's look a better bargain.
    Would agree Hayes 9 seem a better bet for the larger rider though.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

I'm using 4SL's which I think are the same as 3's but with a lever reach adjuster. They came on the bike I bought when I moved to Oz a few weeks ago. Not too bad I guess. I'm used to my K18's on my bike back home, and the Juicy's don't feel as nice as those, but they stop me on 160 rotors front and rear and I'm 6'2" and 85kg + all the kit I carry on the ride to and from work.

TheSlider
    Free Member

So….nobody likes the Soles then ? To be honest, I've put them on 3 bikes we've got 'cos they are nice and easy to setup and change pads (no more draws of various pads) etc., AND I ride just about every day and raced just last month with no problems but I sometimes feel a little 'under braked', so was thinking about the change. Maybe 3's aren't the BIG change I was hoping for then. I'm only 10 stone and 5' 6" so shouldn't need too much stopping but I might get back to you baldysquirt. Have a good holiday. I'm off to Wales in a couple of weeks and as long as my Hayes stops me, I'll let you know….thanks everybody for your advice.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Avid 3's – anygood ?’ is closed to new replies.